Metronic TV Cable for RJ45

RidleyDeckard

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I moved into a house a few months ago and the builder has put TV aerial sockets in every room, I have no use for any of them. I assume there is a distribution point somewhere in the loft. If I were to use this Medtronic TV cable for RJ45, am I right in thinking that I can effectively use the TV aerial sockets as ethernet cable to network the rooms together?

I would probably have to replace the TV aerial distribution box with a switch and make sure all the cables have one of these on each end.
Amazon product ASIN B01DFP39XQ

I suspect that cable is for putting analogue TV signals over UTP rather than ethernet over coax (ie "the other way round.") (A look at the pin outs would be illustrative, but I cannot find any.)

I've heard of an ethernet-over-coax solution (though never used one) - IIRC it's called MoCA and needs "active" components to convert ethernet to coax (and back) not just a fly lead with different plugs on each end.

I also would not "just assume" you have an active "distribution box" somewhere - it might be that the cables are simply spliced together somewhere or "daisy chained" from socket to socket (or combination of both.)

Last edited:
Makes sense, thanks for the advice. I'll look into the MOCA network adaptors as I really need to link two rooms together.

If you cannot "get the drill out" and install "proper" UTP cabling, an alternate to MoCA worth considering might be HomePlug/powerline technology which utilise the mains electricity circuit to convey data. There's an FAQ about HomePlugs pinned in this forum.

Homeplug technology is not without "challenges" as their performance seems to be highly dependent on the quality of your mains electricity environment. I don't use HomePlugs; some people report excellent results, some people report dreadful results and everything in between.

I did look at this originally, but the house has underfloor heating on two floors and it seems to massively interfere with the Homeplugs. The walls also seem to have metal mesh in them which is also interfering with the wifi.

Depending on the quality of cabling and connections MoCA can be quite good, in theory they are rated for Gb ethernet. Its better with RG6 coax with F type connectors.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom