Metroid Trilogy - discussion thread

Scott23

Just saw this is being released in the US as an all in one disc - is it coming to the UK?

Moogle

Distinguished Member
The US release date is August 24th. No UK/EU date has yet been announced. It's a good thing it's coming in August as there are too many games I want in May and June to justify getting this. In August I'm more inclined to buy it. Number One and Two have both been enhanced with features from number Three.

Metroid Prime Trilogy Wii set includes updated Prime 1, Prime 2 and Prime 3 for $50 - Video Games Blogger

Gaming - News - 'Metroid Prime Trilogy' heading for Wii - Digital Spy

IGN: Metroid Prime Trilogy Preview

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
I wonder if my MP3: Corruption save file will still work on the 3rd game, never did get around to completing it but may well pick it up again as part of the trilogy package, sounds like great value!

I must be one of the few people that never played 1 & 2 so will be nice to get to experience them with the sublime controls of MP3, good stuff:cool:

Scott23

I am someone who played both 1 and 2 half way through and have done the same in 3 lol As a package it looks like great value but it would just be like Nintendo to fleece us by separating it out as they have done in Japan into standalone games. Fingers crossed it gets released like the US version.

ps - what are you must play games in May / June that would stop you buying this if it came out?? I can't see any released recently that even get me excited at all.....

Moogle

Distinguished Member
ps - what are you must play games in May / June that would stop you buying this if it came out?? I can't see any released recently that even get me excited at all.....

On the Wii:
Boom Blox:Bash Party
Grand Slam Tennis
Tiger Woods 10

On the PS3:
Infamous
Prototype
Ghostbusters
Fuel

Not necessarily going to get all those games but at least several of them.

Scott23

None of the wii games really excite me tbh. I thought the tennis one looked good but I (stupidly) assumed the game would let you control the movement of your player with a nunchuck and then swing with the wiimote to play your shot. I then realised it is like wii sports tennis where the com moves your player for you. Not quite the same. Tbh I have not played a tennis game that is more fun than super tennis way back on the snes. Now there is a wii make I would love to see :)

Ah well....fingers crossed for Metroid trilogy

Moogle

Distinguished Member
None of the wii games really excite me tbh. I thought the tennis one looked good but I (stupidly) assumed the game would let you control the movement of your player with a nunchuck and then swing with the wiimote to play your shot. I then realised it is like wii sports tennis where the com moves your player for you. Not quite the same. Tbh I have not played a tennis game that is more fun than super tennis way back on the snes. Now there is a wii make I would love to see :)

Ah well....fingers crossed for Metroid trilogy

There have been a number of tennis games far better then Super Tennis. Virtua Tennis, Top Spin and Smash court come to mind. Top Spin on the PS3 is probably the best tennis game I've played. I'm really looking forward to Grand Slam and have high hopes for it. Watching the following videos especially the second one shows you what a difference MotionPlus can make.

IGN Video: Grand Slam Tennis Nintendo Wii Trailer - Tennis Party Trailer

IGN Video: Grand Slam Tennis Nintendo Wii Walkthrough - Wii MotionPlus Demo

Anyway we are going off topic now.

Scott23

Agreed :) cheers for the links - I will have a look.

Fingers crossed we get news of a uk metroid trilogy package! I am in two minds whether to sell my MP3 now in the hope the trilogy comes through and then pray my memory saves work with it....

quarry2006

Metroid Prime is one of those games that I'd really love to love...but I just could never take to the first one on the GC so consequently never followed up with either of the sequels. For me, the first one, after being touted as Nintendo's answer to Halo, really never came close to that landmark game. And there seemed an awful lot of backtracking, too - something which I've never enjoyed in a game. But, I still can't resist this urge to try and bring myself to like it. I wish someone could convince me it's worth the effort.

Scott23

Out of the 3 I think MP3 is the most accessible as you don't really backtrack too much (you use your spaceship thing to do it for you). Prime was never a halo type game for me as it is more an exploration and occasional shooting game. I felt it was a 3d remake of the type of game Super Metroid was and that was one of my fave games ever. You should give Metroid Prime 3 a try on the wii - I think you would be pleasantly surprised

Tazbot

Distinguished Member
Metroid Prime is one of those games that I'd really love to love...but I just could never take to the first one on the GC so consequently never followed up with either of the sequels. For me, the first one, after being touted as Nintendo's answer to Halo, really never came close to that landmark game. And there seemed an awful lot of backtracking, too - something which I've never enjoyed in a game. But, I still can't resist this urge to try and bring myself to like it. I wish someone could convince me it's worth the effort.

I won't try to convince you into how brilliant the Metroid Prime games were on both the GameCube and the Wii.

I bought all 3 games, completed 1 and 2 and played only half of MP3 (got side tracked with COD4).

The back tracking is part of what makes the Metroid games brilliant imo, 1st time in area A for example, there's something you can't quite do or reach, later on in area C, you gain another ability or weapon that enables you to reach or do in area A.

For me, the satisfaction of being able to go back to a place and complete it fully, makes the game longer and more satisfying.

For those who keep comparing this with Halo are wrong to do so imo. Halo, which I've never played was a FPS and should be treated as such, Metroid Prime games are FPA (first person adventures) and should be treated as such. If Halo and Metroid were both FPS then one can compare; if they were both FPA then one can compare. But to compare them as they are is like comparing tennis against football, both sports games and use balls but played entirely differently.

:smashin::thumbsup:

Last edited:

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
Still no word on a UK release, although I notice it's confirmed to be released in Australia, being PAL territory I guess you could always import if impatient.

IGN have just reviewed the trilogy package(giving it a 9.5/10) and it really does sound superb!

IGN: Metroid Prime Trilogy Review

For a bargain price, you will receive 80-plus hours of the best adventuring found on any home consoles in a decade. And the craziest part is that Retro's artists are so good that the Prime titles they released back in 2002 still look better than the majority of Wii efforts. Yeah, these games are still at the cutting-edge on Nintendo consoles.

And for once, Nintendo has paid a little service to the fans because all of these improvements come to you in a collector's edition package -- a gorgeous metal case, translucent slip cover, art booklet and biography on the series -- and for just $49.99, the same price as any old Wii game.

IGN Video: Metroid Prime Trilogy Nintendo Wii Review - Video Review

Will certainly be picking this one up myself as soon as I have the spare funds, I never did play the original or Echos, nor did I get around to completing Corruption, making this package a no brainer.

Degs

Still no word on a UK release, although I notice it's confirmed to be released in Australia, being PAL territory I guess you could always import if impatient.

A release date of 4th September has been known for a while and online retailers (well Play and Amazon anyway) are still advertising release on this date.:smashin:

Hopefully you've just missed this or has it been delayed indefinitely?:(

Tetlee

Distinguished Member
A release date of 4th September has been known for a while and online retailers (well Play and Amazon anyway) are still advertising release on this date.:smashin:

Hopefully you've just missed this or has it been delayed indefinitely?:(

Ah, hopefully that's a solid date then, rather than the old retailer guess work. I just noticed there being no mention of a PAL release in the IGN game info box.

I have a US console myself so don't really take much notice of UK preorder dates for Wii games.

Moogle

Distinguished Member
I have a US console myself ...

Same here. :devil:

I'm not sure how reliable that retailer date is though as to my knowledge no release date has been announced for the UK.

Last edited:

Degs

Ah, hopefully that's a solid date then, rather than the old retailer guess work. I just noticed there being no mention of a PAL release in the IGN game info box.

I have a US console myself so don't really take much notice of UK preorder dates for Wii games.

Same here. :devil:

I'm not sure how reliable that retailer date is though as to my knowledge no release date has been announced for the UK.

Sorry guys didn't think about UK/US release dates.

I got an email from Nintendo on 13th August which has the 4th September as the release date. The first 5000 people who have previously registered a Metroid game can get the NES version for free if they register the trilogy on 4th September.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 43

Moogle

Distinguished Member
Sorry guys didn't think about UK/US release dates.

I got an email from Nintendo on 13th August which has the 4th September as the release date. The first 5000 people who have previously registered a Metroid game can get the NES version for free if they register the trilogy on 4th September.

Fair enough. :)

davidcharles

hellooo

looking to get the Metroid trilogy pack tomorrow.....unbelievably i haven't played any of the 3 so i am quite looking forward to it.....just one question...is it better if i play them in order or can i play the last one first for instance, then play the others later..??.......do they follow a particular story line??

just wondered...:)

ta

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom