Metroid Dread

I absolutely loved both Ori titles but was really disappointed with BOTW even as a lifelong Zelda fan. It was a beautiful game but just to short and dumbed down 😢
Too short? What game were you playing 🤣 me and many others have ploughed so many more hours in to botw than any other Zelda title. It was just mould breaking and encouraged free exploration over the classic formula of go to dungeon, get item, item opens path to next dungeon. It was very easy to get lost in and go off the path. Sure if you literally went beast to beast and then to the castle it would be fairly short but it was all about the adventure and getting lost off the path discovering things that really racked up the hours and never felt like you were wasting time doing busy work side missions.

I still say hollow knight to everyone on this thread that hasn't played it yet 😁 it's one of the best metroidvanias and worth the low price. A but more freeing that dread in the path through and some of the bosses are harder, but again like dread, they are fair and beatable if you learn and chip away at them. Just don't do steel soul mode or the path of god's as that's just horrific with permadeath and boss rushes that are only for sadists.

Too short? What game were you playing 🤣
It was four years ago but I remember finishing it really quickly and thinking the devs spent too much time on the aesthetics and not enough on the story and content. Didn’t feel compelled to revisit, weakest Zelda title in the series in my opinion and paled in comparison to the recent Skyward Sword HD release which was epic. Recently bought Hollow Knight and looking forward to that.

It was four years ago but I remember finishing it really quickly and thinking the devs spent too much time on the aesthetics and not enough on the story and content. Didn’t feel compelled to revisit, weakest Zelda title in the series in my opinion and paled in comparison to the recent Skyward Sword HD release which was epic. Recently bought Hollow Knight and looking forward to that.
If you only played it through on normal mode or didn't do The Champion's Ballad and Trial of the Sword (in hard mode) then you havn't even scratched it.

Sorry guys, not here to start a BOTW Holy War. We’re all entitled to our opinions, move along 👍🏻

I’ve completed it one last time, done it 4 times now.
onto forza horizon 5 now.

Started replaying in Hard Mode. Uptick in difficulty seems to be of maximum impact during general level traversing. A few stray hits from minor enemies can kill you sending you back to your last save point so you have to be more deliberate in your clearing of adversaries. Conversely, E.M.M.I. zones and bosses (so far) are easier because even with the uptick in difficulty in terms of amount of damage you can sustain you have already done the dog work of working out the phases of the bosses in your prior run through and the terror of the E.M.M.I. is greatly lessened because you know you've got through their zones before and they are still effectively one-hit deaths if they get you so the difficulty increase overall is not a major drag. Now, later on if I discover that shine spark lasts less time in hard mode then that could be a scream inducer.

Fighting the chained claw throwing lava lair boss "Kraid" in hard mode. Damn but you have to execute PERFECTLY in hard mode. Any more than one or two hits without grabbing health and you are toast!

Defeated Kraid in hard mode last night. Had to be more careful avoiding the arc'd fireballs and more aggressive with missiles in the wall hanging phase but that sorted it.

Just got to the final showdown with Raven Beak in hard mode. 100% items. Should hopefully finish it tonight or tomorrow.

Defeated Raven Beak and made the dash to the ship with 11 seconds to spare! Took a wrong turn at one point and panic set it but all was well in the end. Brilliant game put to bed properly.

Loved the SNES and both GameCube and just ordered from Amazon for £30,00. I’m dreading the bosses reading through this but so loved the first way back when I was ginger

Wish me luck

Loved the SNES and both GameCube and just ordered from Amazon for £30,00. I’m dreading the bosses reading through this but so loved the first way back when I was ginger

Wish me luck
You'll love it and scream at it in equal measure. Enjoy. I'm deep into Hollow Knight now and thankfully it's gigantic as there is bugger all of interest to me on Switch upcoming any time soon. Long wait yet before Breath of the Wild 2 and Metroid Prime 4 surface.

New modes coming soon in today's direct.

For those struggling there's a rookie mode that sounds like it just heals you more.
For the sadists there's dread mode where everything in the entire game can one hit kill you, including the schoals of fish.

They are also adding a boss rush mode down the line too.

Who the hell wants to take a game like dread and add one got kills in? At least it doesn't also add permadeath 😂

Playing through again on Hard mode. Simply a brilliant game. Would love a sequel from the same team or an entirely different game but in exactly the same Metroidvania style. I wonder if anyone out there has ever 100%'d the one hit kill mode. That would be some utterly crazy achievement. Especially navigating the EMMI zones which in my experience basically insist that you accept you will die several times while finding out how to traverse them.

Playing through again on Hard mode. Simply a brilliant game. Would love a sequel from the same team or an entirely different game but in exactly the same Metroidvania style.

I'd be very surprised if a sequel from the same developers hasn't already been green lit, I believe Dread sold very well by Metroid standards so it's been a critical and commercial success that probably surpassed Nintendo's likely modest expectations of the franchise.

If you want more Metroidvania suggestions on Switch you could look at the two Ori games and Bloodstained Ritual Of The Night. I believe Hollow Knight is excellent too but I haven't got around to playing that yet, despite owning it for years now haha.

Not strictly a Metroidvania but if you want some more challenging 2D combat maybe look at Dead Cells.

And of course there's the SNES game Super Metroid on the Switch online service. If you really want some more authentic Metroid goodness that game is probably worth getting 3 month subscription if you don't already have one.

If you have the means to play any of the three Metroid Prime games you should absolutely do so. They're all of the Metroid gameplay, atmosphere and structure masterfully brought into first person and 3D.

I'd be very surprised if a sequel from the same developers hasn't already been green lit, I believe Dread sold very well by Metroid standards so it's been a critical and commercial success that probably surpassed Nintendo's likely modest expectations of the franchise.

If you want more Metroidvania suggestions on Switch you could look at the two Ori games and Bloodstained Ritual Of The Night. I believe Hollow Knight is excellent too but I haven't got around to playing that yet, despite owning it for years now haha.

Not strictly a Metroidvania but if you want some more challenging 2D combat maybe look at Dead Cells.

And of course there's the SNES game Super Metroid on the Switch online service. If you really want some more authentic Metroid goodness that game is probably worth getting 3 month subscription if you don't already have one.

If you have the means to play any of the three Metroid Prime games you should absolutely do so. They're all of the Metroid gameplay, atmosphere and structure masterfully brought into first person and 3D.
Familiar with and played all those bar Bloodstained which I will duly investigate. The Ori games were fantastic and the Prime trilogy is a legend.

Got all upgrades in just over 13hrs of play. Now just to tidy up the last collectibles and finish with the showdown with Raven Beak. Utterly brilliant game!

Shinespark chain puzzles. Possibly the most infuriatingly brilliant deliberately counter-intuitive things ever to grace a video game. You rehearse the steps in your head then you attempt to execute but one wrong button press or inadvertant tilt on a stick and it all goes wrong and retry you must or that 100% will forever be out of reach. Brilliantly frustrating and extremely satisfying when you get one right. Hopefully in any sequel they put more of these in because they are utterly fantastic. The one in Ghavoran where you have to chain three is so well thought out and designed.

Not a bad final time. Knocked about 10hrs off my last run.
94AAC6B6-5BCD-422B-8552-9C4C6F54F97E.jpeg

Last edited:
Going for one last hard mode play through as a semi-speed run. Still going to 100% it but will attempt to stay on the objectives all the way to the end and not sidetrack for pickups until the final fight is unlocked and then do the pickup sweep in one go at the end.

I'm sitting at 9:44:02 with all collectibles and only the elite chozo soldier, Raven Beak and the dash to the end to do. Can I get it in under 10 hrs and get that final unlock? It's a bit tight! I'll probably retry the elite fight multiple times to get him killed as quickly as possible then save again to give me as much time as possible for Raven Beak and the end dash. I wasted precious minutes hunting for a few collectibles in the pre-end game cleanup.

Pfft. Just checked and the unlock is for under 8hrs! That's very tough indeed.

Good improvement. 8hrs though hmm.

MP_CLEAR17112022.jpg

Last edited:
That’s better!

9A00442C-EB88-4827-81AC-B13C6B977AB8.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom