Metroid Dread

Hopefully we’ll see some pre-orders up for the limited edition soon!

Metroid Dread is on eShop. Pre0rder for $79.99 Canadian.
Estimated release date : 10/8/2021.
Did not mention about limited edition.

Last edited:
This was by far the most exciting announcement 😁 have been waiting 19 years for a sequel to Fusion!

I'll defo get the Amiibo but not sure about the special edition. Steelbooks are usually preorder bonuses now so to pay extra for that, some cards and a mini book seems OTT.

This was exactly what I wanted announced, and a nice quick turnaround from confirmation to release too. Loved samus returns and the quality of life improvements it brought to the 2D entries. I'll have to find a copy of fusion to get stuck in to in the mean time as k never actually got through that.

Special Edition up for pre-order on the Nintendo store.

Was just coming here to post. Might be a bit too rich for my blood.

2F8236D9-245D-4CE7-8A69-01C6E571D24D.gif

Very nice. Do we know who the developer is?

Looking at this game it does look cool, looks polished too. I'm just not sure it's worth £50. Think that's a bit too much.
One for the sales I think.

If the Ori games can be the price they are there is absolutely no excuse for Metroid Dread to be £50. £40 absolute tops.

I'm on the fence with price. Something like hollow knight had so many hours of content that I actually wouldn't have minded a higher price on it, took me over 20 hours to finish that. These metroidvanias can be massive or very short and often padded out with backtracking all the time once you get those new abilities. That could get old if there is invincible enemies on that path so forced repeat stealth sections.

It is annoying that handheld games used to offer compromises in game lengths and play styles and that reflected in pricing, samus returns was good but pretty short and easy to 100% but it was a remake of a Gameboy game so that was to be expected. Links awakening however was all these things and commanded a full console game price tag, as much as I enjoyed it, it was expensive and mainly a nostalgia hit of one of my favourite games from my childhood. Is actually Arthur link between worlds on 3DS was a newer and bigger game with more challenges than links awakening for a lower price tag.

I'm really hoping with their "this want possible on older hardware" comments the size and scope of dread is much bigger than Samus returns was, a bigger map, more upgrades and hopefully more varied boss fights than the repeated metroid infused wildlife over and over. Again I'm putting that down to the source material and limitations the Gameboy would have presented the original game but it was something I wish mercury steam had changed to add some variety that wasn't the same fight 40 times.

Really looking forward to this game. :thumbsup:

SW-7300-1030-0856

For any newcomers as well, here's how to find out what you've missed...

guess it's time to buy a wii u. Please Nintendo bring us a metroid collection, I never got through fusion so I'd be interested in catching up on it. Just out them all on NSO already, hell even give me downloads in the special edition or as a pre order bonus, anything.

If the Ori games can be the price they are there is absolutely no excuse for Metroid Dread to be £50. £40 absolute tops.
I rarely have to pay £50/RRP for a standard edition Switch game, even at launch. Most online retailers will sell it around £40-45, occasionally even less as they compete for pre orders, I got Monster Rise for £35 at launch with the steelbook and keyrings.

It's a little different digitally as your looking at full RRP until Nintendo decides to discount it which won't be for a while.

But while the RRP price might be high I don't begrudge Dread being sold as a top tier game. I think it's going to quality. Ori and Hollow Knight are indeed good value but if they felt they could sell those games at £50 they probably would.

That was a nice friday boost!

Wow, that looks like Samus can do so much more than she could in the previous games. Dashing, lock on missiles, grappling to walls, all bode well for future smash iterations 😂

Also nice to see there is an enemy that isn't just the emmis. They look intimidating and all that but running away from invincible enemies only has so much life in it. Think I need to find myself a pre-order. Still would like to get hold of fusion before this lands as I never actually finished it.

The tie in with what looks like ancient Egyptian mythology looks excellent.

I do think that the Ori games (heavily influenced by Metroidvania) moved the four way scrolling platformer on a bit and that Metroid Dread looks to be moving it on yet again. Should be an absolute joy to play. Not too long to wait.

I rarely buy new games for £50+ as well. Shopto is selling this game for £42, and you get a keyring and a poster with it too, so for that price I'll happily pay for it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom