1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metallica Album Release Date Changed!

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by AmIEvil?, Jun 3, 2003.

1. AmIEvil?

AmIEvil?

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just read that the release date for the new metallica album St Anger has been changed.

This is good news though, it has been brought forward to Thurs 5th June!!

It has been brought forward to prevent it leaking to the net before the official release. See ww.metallica.com for the press release regarding the the changing of the release date, they seem have been honest about why they brought it forward.

Roll on Thurs!

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,749
    Great stuff !
    I wonder if Play will ship it early then ?

3. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Play are packing mine as we speak..so here's hoping.

4. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Brought forward to stop it being leaked onto the net?
    Good God,would anyone dare download this precious thing of artistic genius illegally after the ridiculous rumpus caused by the band in their war on Napster!
    This from a band that can release a single on 3 different CD's (each with only 1 bonus track mind) and charge full price for each.
    Rock n Roll anyone?

5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Won't be buying it if the crap single is anything to go by.

6. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,749
    I've not heard the single - what's it called ?

7. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    St.Anger

8. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    It's supposed to be terrible. I mean REALLY bad. It is available if you know where to look.

9. MasterRusty

MasterRusty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So who's got the album yet? what do ya think?
    I got it this morning and am loving it...but I've only heard it through once in between working...looking forward to having a look at the DVD later :)

10. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have only heard the current single, st anger, and i can honestly say it is dire. the song is terrible. the production is abysmal, and the drum sound is appaling.
    the song sounds like it was recorded in a telephone box.

11. MasterRusty

MasterRusty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well after listening to it in the background at work all day I've kinda gone off it already and i've just put the DVD on and i feel violated :( what the hell happened?!

12. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm feeling pretty much the same way, there's a couple of OK ish tracks there but in general I thought is was fairly poor. Will listen again though and see if it grows on me, but i seriously doubt it.

I was hoping for a lot more.

13. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it wrong for me to feel good that Metallica's new album isn't very good? And they say Karma doesn't exist. ;)

14. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    CD arrived this morning from Play.com, have only managed to listen as far as track 6 so far, not really enjoying it to be honest, thought the production on the 1st four tracks was abysmal..as if they were trying to recreate the "garage days" feel again, noticed it improved over the next 2 tracks slightly but not much..the production that is, not the content !

I think they are trying too hard to get back the old "kill em all" vibe but its just not happened IMO. The songs seem to stray apart going from melodic to absolute speedmetal/grunge with no balance in between and then come back again on a totally different state..almost as if its 2 or 3 different songs inter-twined and they didnt know which they preferred.

I've been looking forward to this for too long I suppose and maybe my expectations are too high..but its certainly not in the league of Master of Puppets, Ride The Lightning or ..Justice, and IMO is nowhere near "The Black Album"

Ok, so Bob Rock "produced" this & indeed played bass on all the tracks according to the sleeve notes..poor effort.

15. Dapper Dan

Dapper Dan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got 'St. Anger' yesterday and after several spins think it is a massive leap of direction for Metallica. I've been to many so called 'music' forums and read plenty of negative views over the last couple of weeks by divs who have only heard a coupla songs over the internet. You should go to some of the yank sites, those guys are a mixture of dumb and viscious, a dangerous mix!!.
    Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that too many people are comparing St. Anger to other Metallica albums. This is a strange thing to do. Have you ever listened to Kill 'em All and then to Ride the Lightening. Isn't the similarity remarkable. Or have you ever listened to And Justice for All and then to the 'Black' album. Once again a remarkable similarity.
    So, there appears to be a pattern forming here. One thing that Metallica can be accused of is offering a new sound/production for each release and also a change in song structure and dynamics. Before anyone shoots me down here about Load/ Reload, too many songs for one album!!!
    And so back to St. Anger, which has a sound/ production like no other record out there, never mind any other Metallica output. The songs on St. Anger are very complex, maybe that is why many people are finding it difficult to get into, these songs take repeated listenings to fathom out the structure of the song. As for the production, yes it does sound rough but is that just Metallica trying to take a different route to the over produced Load/Reload path.

My favourite Hetfield quote..... 'You want heavy?...... Metallica gives you heavy!!'

16. MasterRusty

MasterRusty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I signed up to their site to watch all the production/behind the scenes stuff leading up to the release of St. Anger and I'm sure (could be wrong) that I heard them say they had worked on about 40 new tracks and was just a case of picking the right ones. Personally I would love to see some more releases with the other stuff on, even if it was just demo material :)

17. Simon6776

Simon6776

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    No doubt you will. They're bound to release singles from the album, and some of those tracks will make it onto the b-sides.

By the way, the Anger CD is now shipping from CD-Wow.

18. kev_melon

kev_melon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've listened to the album several times, and I feel that St. Anger is Metallica sticking two fingers up to everyone who said they had lost it and had 'sold out'

I don't think it will be as successful as their last three studio albums as it doesn't sound as commercial. My brother said that he didn't like it because it doesn't have any solos!

I can understand why some forum members feel that the production is poor and that some/most of the songs are weak, in some songs I thought they were trying to do nu-metal/grunge, or even try their hand at metalcore..but

.......The adrenaline rush I got when I first heard the end of All Within My Hands..
    "kill, kill, kill, Kill.... KILL!!!"

Hearing Frantic through a hi-fi system complete with sub, I was blown away!

Purify.. You and I... the pure speed in some parts of this song.

Some Kind of Monster....easily the heaviest song on the album

The only song I didn't like was Sweet Amber. It felt kinda out of place.

In conclusion I feel that it's Metallica getting back to what they do best...rock!!

19. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,749
    First listening for me tonight was favourable. I need to listen to it a bit more but I think it's going to be good.
    I agree with kev_melon about the nu-metal ish sounds - they've done it without sounding like all the other nu-metal bands. I can't blame them for not doing another Puppets or other such classic album as it would always be compared to the original and people would always say "It's not as good as that". What I say is let them do what they feel is right - they usually know, and give the album time before slagging it off. In a lot of cases I've found that albums that I like on first hearing are not the ones that are played time and time again.

20. Donnacha

Donnacha
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    Got it on Friday - first thought "what is up wit the snare?" It sounds like he's hitting the bottom of an empty barrel, that metallic ring that follows after the snare is just messy and clogs up the sound something awful. Kirk Hamster must be p*ssed off also with no solos to perform.

But I quite like it, the songs really kick at times like the older stuff and Hetfield has made an attempt to try something different with his vocals.

Need a few more listens but enjoying it so far except for the sound which is the only thing that puts me off it!.

Also I'm a poor bugger who missed them at Download!! - I was wtching some crap on the main stage at the time!

21. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,493
    st anger will grow,but at the moment you just cant get the instant riffs of the old metallica meterial,there are no tracks that hit you straight away like 'one' or 'enter sandman,etc....metallica are hell of a band,there not many metal bands who can record on stage with a symphony and pul it off!!!!watch them live on mtv2 tonight...the new bassist has a massive stage presance!!!!

METALLICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

22. dc007

dc007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    My take after a couple of listens....

Hmmmm.... Its gonna take a couple more listens - and thats probably not a good thing.

Can't see many if any of these tracks being in the live set in a couple of years time...

Disappointed.

23. CMcK

CMcK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I'm really struggling with this album.

The drums sound awful, it sounds like Lars is playing on Tupperware and biscuit tins!

I can't even see it being a grower somehow.

24. Cyber Spawn

Cyber Spawn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm enjoying the album (listening to track 11 right now). I can see it staying in my CD player for a while.

Bring on Reading!

25. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    How many have bought the genuine album, how many just copies or MP3 ?. Who is listening with a decent HiFi and who is just using the car stereo, portable player etc?

This is certainly NOT a land mark album, but it does'nt need to be.

Metallica have managed that with 3 albums at least. The last two were very poor showings, same formula as the Black Album, but the sort of songs that were probably left off that album because they were not so strong.

This is a different album, a new start if you like, they have been creative, theres a lot of complex rythmn changes and clever cordal / vocal effects (trouble is, you need to be listening to it on a decent system ).

I have listened to 3 tracks and its definitely a departure, I thought I was in for more of re-load, but no, this a completely different listening experience which was a definite plus.

As to the production, no its not the overblown and overpolished bass fest that was the black album, but when does a band really sound like that. I love the Black Album, but it doesnt spit raw energy the way St Anger does.

Im not going to rate this until I have had time for a full listen, its definitely not 5/5, but Im not unhappy at my purchase.

Back to the initial questions then..........................this is one of those albums that requires a HiFi, because its dense and fast and does not rely on a steady riff, heavy tom tom and guitar solos to let you know where its going. This isnt painting by numbers carefully orchestrated music, its a band going full tilt warts and its going to be difficult to listen to.

26. CMcK

CMcK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I bought the CD last week and I'm listening to it on a Musical Fidelity Amp and CD player through Quad speakers.

It's a difficult album to listen to, there isn't the clarity between the instruments like their previous Bob Rock produced albums. Everything is so in your face.

It still sounds bad even on decent kit, I would dread to think how it sounds via 128kbps MP3!

27. Dr.Magus

Dr.Magus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did anyone else watch their live concert on MTV2 on sunday?

It was a brilliant performance but one thing struck me as odd. Rock Am Ring is a pretty big festival with audiences of 100,000 so why didn't the band use the event to showcase more of the new album. They only played two songs off it, Frantic and St Anger.

Then again i'm grateful for hearing more older songs. It was great to hear No Remorse in its entirety after years of it being part of medleys. Same goes for Seek & Destroy even though they dropped the key by about two tones!

28. MasterRusty

MasterRusty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The album is starting to grow on me know, just learnt to get used to it being NEW material, these guys are professionals we all know that so what seem to be production flaws etc must be deliberate for the new sound surely. Unfortunately I don't have the benefit of a decent hifi or even speaker setup yet :(

Has anyone got any impressions on the DVD, what is the 5.1 like? what do you think in general?...only watched the first 10 minutes so far.

29. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Just wait........that snare sound will be on all manner of nu-metal albums before the end of 2003, I quite like it, bit different and gives an edgy feel, like a sword fight.

30. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I heard the single for the first time this morning and the first thing I noticed was... the snare sound :D Agree Karkus, it's a long time since anyone used that kind of snare sound and I concur it'll probably be bastardised by all manner of false metal purveyors.