1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metalica S&M and cunning stunts DVDs

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Lux, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there.
    Does any1 know if the R2 of the metallica DVDs are speedup for Pal???.
    I think they were shot digitally so there shouldn't be any speedup.
    Running times vary so much from site to site that I can't compare it by those.
    So are the running times for R2 and R1 equal??

cheers:)

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    I have the R2 version of cunning stunts - I'll have a look on the lanel when I get home and let you know the running time

3. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Run time is 175 mins for R2, I still have synch probs with this DVD along with all the others, maybe this is what happens when they are speeded up ?

4. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,850
    You beat me to the length reply. I also get bad lip-synch problems with this dvd - so much so that it looks like they are miming !
    I haven't noticed a problem with Iron Maiden Rock In Rio though

5. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Its very annoying, I noticed I got a very slight lip synch problem with star wars 2, I had to concentrate to see it, but it was there. I wonder if this gets exaggerated with music DVDs because timing is more obvious.

I am using prog scan and I have been told for perfect synch you also need prog scan sound. But this problem also occured on my old pioneer 626.

6. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cheers everyone.
    even though u talk about sync problems I just ordered the cunning stunts DVD only cost me 14quid on amazon.fr
    lets see how bad it is
    And all available reviews list the R1 and R2 running times as the same, so I should be fine
    cheers

7. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Incidentally, its a great video. Get the sound turned up for the thunderflashes after the intro tracks. I have the S&M DVD, its a good DVD to get anti metal fans involved in the music.

When are Metallica touring the UK, I have been waiting for 2 years now and nothing. I have never seen them live :confused: :confused:

8. Lux

Lux
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I haven't seen them either.
    Yet after jason newsted left the band I think it will take some time b4 they tour again. I'm also waiting for the new album, if it ever appears

9. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    James (Hetfield) is now out of rehab & they are currently working on their new album, utilising Bob Rock as their bass guitarist for the recording of the album (Also produced/engineered their last few albums) until they decide on a full time replacement..rumour has it that Newsted "may" return as Lars has found it within himself to talk to him again..but IMO it aint gonna happen..but heres hoping...:D

10. Bone Daddy

Bone Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Jason will NEVER return to the band after the way he was treated by Jamez (P.M. me if you want the story) last I heard Lars was still tossing aroud diving,etc,and Jamez had been kicked out of his house,but apparently things is on the up,and gigs are being penciled in `soonish` will let you know next week,they have a camera crew full time on them for the inevitable dvd release to co-incide with the new album.

11. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,054
    Just thought i would let you know, i picked up Cunning Stunts for £12.99 at HMV today, bargain if you ask me, but lip sync is out by a mile.

12. BLUE-DUSK

BLUE-DUSK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never had any Lip-sync problems with Cunning stunts or S & M. Which of the 2 do you prefer? I have to go for Cunning Stunts.

13. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    You notice the synch problems more with guitar and drums. Usualy you hear the sound followed by a slight delay as the stick strikes the drum or the hand strums the guitar. If you are a musician, its a bit off putting.

If you dont get this problem, what are you using interms of gear and which region DVDs do you buy?

Cunning stunts is the best, without a doubt. If I have somebody around who is not into Metallica, then the S & M does the trick.............though not in the biblical sense:eek: :eek:

Thats before anyone tries to 'pad' the thread with gimp mask or ball gag references:rolleyes:

14. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    I am not experiencing any lipsynch problems on my R2 versions of Cunning Stunts or S & M.......

15. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have the R1 Cunning Stunts, but it doesn't state the running time. Definetly has no sync problems that I've noticed, and I've watched it many, many times!! undoubtedly my most watched disc. Sound & pic quality are exeptional, closely followed by Rock in Rio, as has been mentioned. 2 (or should I say 4) discs every self-respecting metal fan should own. :D

Rob.