Metal Gear Survive (2017)

Discussion in 'PS4 Games' started by zt1903, Aug 17, 2016.

1. zt1903

zt1903
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,385
      http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/08/17/gamescom-2016-konami-announces-metal-gear-survive

IGN can exclusively reveal Metal Gear Survive, a four-player stealth co-op game set within the Metal Gear universe, due for release on Xbox One, PS4 and PC in 2017.

Set directly after the events of Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, Survive sees the members of Militaires Sans Frontières not killed in that game’s finale transported through wormholes into an alternate universe, where they’re forced to battle a force of crystalline zombies and, it seems, at least one Metal Gear itself.

Metal Gear Survive Official Trailer - Gamescom...

“Metal Gear Survive will offer a fresh take on the series’ famed stealth elements,” said Konami European president, Tomotada Tashiro in a press release, “but within a unique co-op setting that is designed for a truly engrossing multiplayer experience.”

Survive will be the first full Metal Gear game made after the departure of series creator Hideo Kojima, and Konami has been unclear as to how much, if any, of the original Kojima Productions team will be working on the game.

While Big Boss appears at the beginning of the game’s trailer, it remains unclear whether he, the Snake clones, or any recognisable characters from Kojima’s games will appear in the core game. However, Konami does make clear that this is “a new addition to the Metal Gear Solid V experience”.

Konami has revealed few concrete details about the game at this point, barring a teaser trailer (above), but it will be built for four-player co-op play, and will have players using brand new weaponry to fight off enemies. A Konami fact sheet refers to the game as “survival done the Metal Gear way”.

The zombie-like enemies shown are referred to by Konami as “biological threats”, and mention is also made of teaming up to take down “massive threats”, which could potentially be the Metal Gear heard at the end of the trailer.

Going by the trailer itself, the game appears to involve scavenging for resources from the destroyed Mother Base, parts of which have been sucked through and scattered out of the wormholes that transported the game’s central MSF characters.

Survive will use the same FOX Engine that powered both instalments of Metal Gear Solid V. Konami will release more information following Gamescom, and we’ll update you as soon as we find out more.

2. jamiey

jamiey

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +279
      Hmm Konami going the Capcom "Resident Evil" way...

I loved MGSV: the Farting Pain but I have a baaaaaad feeling about this...

3. Stinja

Stinja
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,044
      Low effort 3rd person Left 4 Dead? Recycling most stuff from MGS:pP must make this kinda cheap, but it'll be interesting the actual mission structure and flow.

I'm expecting a lot of micro transactions though...

4. Bamford38

Bamford38
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +305
      "I've got an idea"
      "What is it?"
      "We're gonna remake MGS3"
      "That's amazing! The fans will love it"
      "Yep, and we're gonna put it in a pachinko machine"
      "Ha ha ha ha, good one boss"
      "I'm not joking"
      "Oh........what about the fans"
      "Give them this leftover tat from MGS5"
      "You're a genius sir"

5. Foster

Foster
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +6,486
      #fudgekonami.

6. Stinja

Stinja
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,044
      TGS gameplay demo:

[Official] METAL GEAR SURVIVE: TGS 2016 GAME...

It doesn't look terrible, just more like a mod / DLC for MGSV: PP rather than a full game.
      What's the bet it's £40 and not £15... :rolleyes:

7. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24,586
    8. ibrox_grfc

ibrox_grfc

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,768
      They actually give you about 50 of those coins for logging in each day, so log in for 3 weeks and you've got your other character if you want to play the campaign again. As they say in the article, you can change everything about your character ingame apart from gender. You can even use different classes on the same character so there isn't really any need for an alt.
      The game also only costs about £20 anyway so £8 isn't that much if you really need an alt straight away

9. greenline

greenline

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +193
    10. Luke Albiges

Luke Albiges
      Previously Lukemon

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +11
    11. TUBBST4R

TUBBST4R

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +484
      I was massively undecided with this until I watched someone stream it (he did 9 hours in one sitting and was still completely hooked) and ultimately it seems this has a real addictive nature about it even if it is a bit bonkers. The fact its a bit bonkers is in the name, its Metal Gear! but with that said I like the way the opening ties in with MGSV and goes nuts.

I took a risk for the price and I'm astounded how deep the gameplay and some of the systems are. At first side glance I thought it was going to be like Fortnite's save the world horde mode but it's slightly more complex with having the survival aspects of you needing to eat and drink etc. I'm only about 3 hours in and sneaking around a base to complete an objective whilst avoiding 50 or more 'wanderers' and it's really rewarding. This is only my opinion and it won't be everyone's cup of tea, some can't see past the Hideo situation and are instantly dismissing it but I think it's got a lot to offer for sub £25, The Game Collection have it for £21.95 at the mo.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • List
    12. ibrox_grfc

ibrox_grfc

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,768
      I've been playing it since Thursday and think it's brilliant. The food and water aspect takes a bit of getting used to but there are 3 sheep and a water source near your base, so you can stock up early on (collect resources, go to base , save , reload and resources respawn)

Co-op is a bit frustrating though. You can only do easy mode until you reach lvl25. Lvl20 is the recommended lvl for easy but you get people under lvl5 in most games.
      Arrow thieves also wind me up in co-op. They don't even have a bow but they pick up the arrows that you've fired before you can get to them.

I'm at lvl 24 now and just upgraded my base to stage 2 in single player. Need to get it sorted before I start the second base defence. I do have mounted machine guns and an assault rifle now though

13. Kotatsu Neko

Kotatsu Neko

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +889
      Not sure why this needs to exist. It's a lazy mashup of old MGS 5 assets with micro transactions and copy and paste gameplay from other multiplayer games.

It's sad to see what has become of Konami. They were one of the top 5, perhaps even top 3 developers in the world through the 80s and 90s, then it all fell apart.

14. Mr Quint

Mr Quint

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,642
      Have to say, on the recommendation of TUBBSTAR and a few other people I picked it up and have really enjoyed what I've seen so far. I did a Live Stream a couple of days ago that seemed to go down well.

I don't really care about the whole Hideo Kojima situation I just want to play a good game and let Konami worry about the politics. The only thing Konami could have done is called the game Survive - A Metal Gear Inspired Game, maybe..

I like it, Recommended.

Twitch

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    15. ibrox_grfc

ibrox_grfc

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,768
      Have you played it and do you even own a copy?

You sound like you've just watched yootoober videos made by people who played for about half an hour and hate Konami because of the whole kojima thing and not actually experienced it yourself.
      Essentially it could have been a mgsv large dlc expansion and at the price (£20 ish) that's possibly what it started out as. Microtransactions are there but as I said earlier in the thread , they give you coins for logging in each day so if you want an extra character slot or extra expedition teams then you don't need to use real money on them. Just save your coins for a few weeks and get the extra stuff that way.

I just hit the level for normal coop yesterday and got a blue sniper rifle and blue ak47 from my first game so I'm still really enjoying it a week on from starting it

16. Kotatsu Neko

Kotatsu Neko

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +889
      No i haven't played it and never will, for various reasons (Konami behaved terribly with Kojima, it's clearly a cash grab with re-used assets, I don't buy anything with micro transactions in it, it shows that Konami have absolutely no idea what the name Metal Gear stood for and will slap it on anything, and I don't play multiplayer games). I just find it amusing to see that such a cynical release has been both brutalised by the critics and completely bombed at retail.

If you're enjoying it then that's great for you.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    17. GhostRider17

GhostRider17

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +429
      I love(d) the series but I've got no interest in this. It's great to see a game review though and and I really wish you guys would do more. Gaming related competitions would be great too.

18. Cloysterpeteuk

Cloysterpeteuk

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,086
      Watched a stream of this yesterday and it looked a ton of fun so I’ll pick it up for a tenna at some point, great that it’s a fully fledged game for a budget price too, I was expecting it to be online focussed but the reviews I’ve watched have stated its definitely designed around single player which is great for me.

19. ibrox_grfc

ibrox_grfc

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,768
      The resources and gear that you get in single player can be used in Co op and vice versa. I've actually taken a break from single player to try to get some better weapons and crafting materials from Co op as thats a bit of an easier way of doing it.
      Only downside with waiting for a price drop is that you might struggle to find co op players. It can take a while to get a full team of 4 at the minute and it's only been out for just over a week

20. LieutenantDan

LieutenantDan

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +44
      What a way to ruin the franchise

• Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    21. MikeTVMikeTV

MikeTVMikeTV

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +675
      The player Base for this will be tiny, doubt it will grow even with heavy discounts.

Who wants to play a poorly made, overly complicated game that you can pay to win on?

22. addyb

addyb
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +12,108
      You don't buy anything with micro transactions in it? Hahaha well that rules out 95% of current games then.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • List
    23. ibrox_grfc

ibrox_grfc

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,768
      What game would that be then , because it isn't Metal Gear Survive.
      It's not poorly made, over complicated and you certainly can't pay to win. The microtransactions are for emotes, extra character slots and extra expedition teams. None of those are needed and they definitely don't give you any advantages over other players.
      I wish people would actually spend some time on the game and make their own opinion rather than just bashing it because they disagree with the Kojima situation .

24. addyb

addyb
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +12,108
      Agreed. I've not played this myself yet but I really like the look of it. I'm just busy with a couple of other games but I'll definitely pick this up at some point.

25. Kotatsu Neko

Kotatsu Neko

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +889
      Joking aside, that fortunately isn't the case yet. I only play single player games which certainly helps, and Switch games are all microtransaction free.

26. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +567
      I'm playing the PC version of this - currently at level 40+17 or so, obviously played a lot of solo and a fair bit of co-op with a couple of friends.

My observations, re-comments -
      This is a rehash of MSGS-V the phantom pain in that it uses the same map as far as I can tell - I certainly recognised several areas.
      SV can be a bit of pay to win in that you can buy so called 'premium' which doubles resources you get back from your production and doubles Kuban energy which basically doubles your levelling speed. You can also purchase additional expedition teams that will help you acquire desperately needed resources quicker. I struggle a little at the term 'micro-transactions' as micro they certainly are not. Extract character slots, a days premium resource mode, the extra expedition team slots etc are actually very expensive. So yes - I honestly think a lot of this is a cynical cash grab that would be at home in a free to play game.
      While fun, I am at the stage where novelty is quickly turning into a frustrating grind - the learning is basically done, 98% if what I am now doing I have already done too many times before to count. The main issue is while once at higher level with better gear you do indeed get reasonably powerful, you are nearly always going to be completely crippled by resources, especially those needed for ammo of various types unless you do something to cheese it (joining co-ops and doing sod-all for eg). Once base invasions start (after main story), then you find yourself crippled by a harsh limit on how many buildings you can place - so base invasion become frustrating because you have to delete half of you base in order to place and arrange defences. Then once that is done you have to delete many of the defences to replace your production buildings (that you previously had to delete to make room for defences) instead - this ends up being a massive loss of resources and just plain annoying. Of course while this is going on, thirst and hunger are a continous nag as well.

The melee combat is OK at time, but is hard to get any flow unless maybe you get really good at it - injuries are often quick severe to you regularly have to run away and heal up which involves a lot of menu diving again. Spear through a fence is really the only way to melee multiple enemies, otherwise better isolating them.

Ranged combat is bow, guns and grenades - pretty much like the same is most other games, but unless you cheese resource gathering somehow or just didn't use any and so have saved up a huge amount, then you have to be very careful on ammo use. It is rare that you can go postal on the enemies.

We really stuck with the solo grind because the co-op side looked like some good carnage and indeed it is if you have the ammo for it, however the reality faced by many seems to be it takes a lot of solo grinding to be able to afford a quick burst of co-op carnage as typically the resource you get from these co-op resource gathering missions is massively less you may spend on ammo, unless YOU are the one who calls in and hogs the limited ammo drop or walkers etc.

There are many fun elements to this, many bits well done etc, but overall I cant help feeling that the resource balance and base management around base invasions is simply far too stingy for people to tolerate the grind for a long time. It odd that in a world that is based on scavenging for resources, that there is no concept of picking up you used ammo casing and thus easing the resource burden enough for a little more time blowing sh*t up instead of scavenging from the same building and contains that you have raided hundreds of time already. If you are not careful you can blow 12 hours of solo resource grinding in a single co-op session. If you are careful, then you can self sustain to some degree. After basically a week of playing were are all feeling like its already coming to an end, and yet we have all been playing ghost recon wildlands on and off regularly for nearly a year now. They recently nerfed ammo loadouts and apparently fiddled with co-op balance and resources which only makes the co-op less appealing rather than more.

As other have mentioned - its really really hard to find a co-op game even on easy and normal - am yet to find a group for hard mode co-op, though once one of my friends has levelled up, then at least there will be 3 of us to have a go instead of just 2 (Were on PC version).

I do really want to like this (I like co-op, as do the regulars I play with - we are just not into PvP etc, so welcome any decent co-op game) and we had hoped it would keep us going for a while, but I think we are all already starting to find the frustrations getting in the way now that the novelty is wearing off. I think with a few little tweaks to overall resource balance and therefore accessibility of some of the more fun devices and especially with more rewards and sustains co-op then this could be something we might have played on and off for a long time, but like I said, I feels it simply too stingy and just on the wrong side of a fun balance. While non of us are inclined towards to SV transactions, their presence and particularly their money-grab pricing does add a bit of a sour taste as well.

Give it a try - like I said there is definitely some fun to be had, but also maybe don't expect it to sustain for long once the novelty wears off.

27. ibrox_grfc

ibrox_grfc

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,768
      Down to £17.99 at base

Metal Gear: Survive (PS4)

Been playing nothing else since launch although I think I'm done for now unless a few fellow avf'ers have it and want to do co-op

I'm at level 62 scout (and 45 Jaeger) and done all base digs except 6 as the rewards are rubbish and it's hard as nails with elemental enemies.

Got all farms and stuff on my base and really only need the legendary bow now but haven't managed to get it to drop from hard coop

28. ibrox_grfc

ibrox_grfc

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,768
      From the 1st to 4th of June the full game is free to play (single player and multiplayer) on PSN store.
      Worth giving it a go for a few hours rather than hating it without even playing it because of Konami/kojima

29. Stinja

Stinja
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,044
      :smashin:

But also a clear low-effort cash-grab, grindy, and (to me) uninteresting gameplay.