Metal Gear Solid HD Collection - buyers remorse

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by bernado, Mar 5, 2013.

1. bernado

bernado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +462
    Just bought this bundle off the on demand sale and I'm kind of wishing I hadn't bothered. I guess I should have done my homework more rather than be led by the generally high reviews it has, but being pretty new to gaming and generally clueless I hadn't realised how very old school it is.
    Goodness knows how the control system works as it's certainly not intuitive. I'm not sure if I can even be bothered to learn them based on a brief tryout of the game, the character looks so distant and the jerky camera movement doesn't help either.

Anyone played this who can convince me it is worth sticking with?

2. The Eggman72

The Eggman72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Absolutely..Its totally worth sticking with & well worth every penny.....the script and music are awesome MGS2 sons of liberty was scored by Harry Gregson Williams who has scored several Hollywood Blockbusters....

3. Mr Original

Mr Original

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    The controls do improve in MGS3 over MGS2.

4. bernado

bernado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +462
    Yes the production values seem pretty high, not sure that alone is going to carry it for me

God I hope so. Admitedly I haven't given MGS2 a fair chance yet though after another brief unenjoyable outing with it last night, I'm pretty much ready to give it up as a bad idea.

To further frustrate things the HD bundle was advertised as coming complete with MGS Peace Walker, which didn't appear in my downloads. I had a lengthy online discussion with a Microsoft rep asking what had gone wrong only for her to tell me it isn't included as part of the bundle. I gave her the GB Marketplace link I purchased it from which clearly stated it does (the US version doesn't) and she conceded I was correct so she would escalate it. I'm not holding out much hope.

The way it's looking at the moment I might have one playable old game with no resale value for £9 - bummer

5. AnimalOfAnarchy

AnimalOfAnarchy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    My version came with Peace Walker so I don't get why yours didn't. Did you accidentally buy the US version or something?

Also, I highly suggest sticking to the game as well. MGS3 is an absolute classic and the story to all the Metal Gears are brilliant and I'd highly suggest (if you have a PS3) buying Metal Gear Solid so you can understand the story. I know Metal Gear Solid is a PS1 game but sometimes it's more about the story than it is about the graphics.

Either way, I really hope you stick with it and play them because the Metal Gear games are amazing (even if I don't like MGS2, I still think it's a decent enough game). Another game you might want to look into is Metal Gear Rising. It's style is a little more action than stealth but it's a lot of fun and it's looks is pretty impressive.

6. bernado

bernado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +462
    Microsoft told me the UK version didn't come with Peacewalker and the listing was wrong, maybe they changed things soon after.

After some persistence they ended up refunding me via Microsoft points after I told them the product I bought wasn't as described, I bought Mark of the Ninja which I thoroughly enjoyed.
    I'll revisit MGS at some point as I was able to retain the games, though I really didn't take to the control system at all

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  7. ricflairandy

ricflairandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I agree with this, the control system in metal gear solid 2 is terrible and I really cannot remember how the hell i played it back int he ps2 days. mgs3 is better and more inline with modern controls.

8. Kaizersozak09

Kaizersozak09
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MGS 2 and 3 are fantastic, I suppose being new to gaming these are pretty old school. But I remember when these first came out how amazing they where. I've recently replayed them and I feel they still hold up today. Great story if you can stomach sitting through the codec conversations and cut sceans

9. ricflairandy

ricflairandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    The storylines are insane, mostly good but some bits bizzare. However the way they told a large portion of the story and fleshed out characters over codec discussions was pure genius at the time.

10. Lostsoul 301281

Lostsoul 301281

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,762
    In general the MGS games are brilliant!
    I've been playing my original versions lately(yes that includes the original Metal Gear Solid on PS1).
    Some real nostalgia there.

If I'm not mistaken, the HD version of MGS3 was taken from the Subsistence re-release, where the camera was changed from top-down to a controllable 3rd person view.
    I didn't play much of it when I had Subsistence as I'd already played MGS3 quite a lot, but the change of camera was an improvement, if a little strange after having played with the original camera angle in all the other games.

Metal Gear Solid is a classic!
    I don't use that term lightly as I feel it gets over used and used in the wrong way too much.
    Even the first MGS on the PS1 was ahead of it's time, and still looks pretty good for a 15 year old game.

If anyone still has a PS2 and can find Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence, I'd recommend it.
    Not only does it have the 3rd person camera controls, but it also comes with the original, 8-bit Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake games.

11. Death Squad I

Death Squad I

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    same happened with me I bought thinking I would get peace walker but I didn't so they refunded me

12. Lostsoul 301281

Lostsoul 301281

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,762
    Yeah, it seems the On Demand version doesn't come with Peace Walker, but the disc version does.
    Seems a little strange.

13. bernado

bernado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +462
    Well I can't complain, having a refund and hanging on to the MGS games can't be bad. Still not got round to trying them again though and the bit of credit I've got left is enough to get the cheap download of Bully right now, so that's looking likely to get my next attention

14. Death Squad I

Death Squad I

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I bought the peace walker game as soon as I realised it wasn't included in the pack. When I read your post I also realised I had been screwed over so I called them. I bought Max Payne 3 with my refund