Metal Gear Online

theblacksheep

Established Member
Reaction score
Metal Gear Online is the 16 player online tactical team warfare game that comes on the 'Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots' Blu-Ray exclusive to the PS3. Install MGO from the MGS4 title screen.

Region Locked
Metal Gear Online is region locked by the game disks localisation, US copies of the game will only let you play other people with US copies of the game, etc. All games connect to the Japanese servers for basic info and verification in addition, you also have P2P connections to players in the localisation area.

Age Restriction
Konami requires the minimum age of a player, as judged by their PlayStation Network account, be at least 18 years.

MGO Updates
The Metal Gear Solid 4 disk ships with Metal Gear Online 1.00.
MGO (as of 16/06/09) is on version 1.33 so the game requires several update which can be done through P2P or HTTP download. Despite P2P being recommended, HTTP download is much faster.

Konami ID
Yes, you will need to register with Konami-ID (and Game-ID) to play Metal Gear Online. This can be done through the website https://id.konami.net or ingame.

Konami ID is seperate from the Game-ID. If you cant remember your Game-ID password (just numbers), go to the Konami-ID site, log in (you'll still need your Konami-ID password) and change your Game-ID password.

The Characters
You get one slot to create a PMC character, other character slots have to be purchased from the Konami store. Once the character is created he or she can only be changed by using 'reward points' to purchase new outfits. Characters can be deleted after 5 days and you can start again.

You can also play as some special characters from the MGS4 world, for instance Snake and the MKII in a 'sneaking mission'. Jonny and Meryl are available if you purchase the 'GENE expansion pack', Mei Ling and Liquid are available with the 'MEME expansion pack'. In the 'SCENE' expansion pack 'vamp' and 'Raiden' are added. Each have their own skills (far outweighing PMCs) and their skills cannot be selected like normal PMCs.

The Maps - 15 in total
5 Maps are available out of the box: Ambush Alley, Urban Ultimatum, Groznyj Grad, Blood Bath and Midtown Madness.

3 additional maps are available with the GENE expansion pack: Coppertown Conflict, Tomb of Tubes and Virtuous Vista.

3 more maps are available with the MEME expansion pack: Forest Firefight, Sunset Silo and Winter Warehouse.

Another 3 maps are available with the SCENE expansion pack: Hazard House, Outer Outlet and Ravaged Riverfront

A new free map was added with update 1.33: Icestorm Inferno (aka shadow moses). You must have the 'scene' expansion to be able to play this extra level.

Skills
4 Skill slots are available. Skills start at level 1 and take up one skill slot. Experience will level up your chosen skills, however, choosing to upgrade skill levels can effect the skill slots available. I.e. Level 2 assult rifle will take up two skill slots. Some non-offensive skils such as a SOP skill do not take up additional skills. Skills can be changed and swapped at the start of any game. Skills only apply to PMC's, Snake is skilled in every department!

Handgun: Skill wielding handguns. Reduces recoil and reload time.
SMG: Skill wielding submachine guns. Reduces recoil and reload time
Assault: Skill wielding assault rifles. Reduces recoil and reload time.
Shotgun: Skill wielding shotguns. Reduces recoil and reload time, and makes pump action faster.
Sniper Rifle: Skill wielding sniper rifles. Reduces recoil and reload time, and makes bolt action faster.
Hawkeye: Increases the zoom rate when aiming in FPS mode (but not while using a scope)
Surveyor: Extends the maximum lock-on distance.
Quarterback: Enables you to throw items farther.
Trickster: Enables you to set up traps more quickly.
CQC: Allows you to restrain targets and use advanced CQC, and increases knockout damage.
Blades: Allows you to move while attacking with a knife, and makes knife attacks faster.
Runner: Increases your movement speed.
Monomania: Displays enemies you've attacked. Display time is improved with levels.
Sixth Sense: Displays nearby traps. Range increases with levels.
Narc: Displays attacking enemies when they target you and damage is sustained.
Scanner: Press Triangle while restraining enemy to display link info.
Box: Faster when in box
Recovery: Wake up faster

Special Character Skills

*SNAKE:
HANDGUN+ Lv 3
SMG+ Lv 3
ASSAULT RIFLE+ Lv 3
SHOTGUN+ Lv 3
SNIPER RIFLE+ Lv 3
SURVEYOR Lv 3
QUARTERBACK Lv 3
TRICKSTER Lv 3
CQC Lv SPECIAL
BLADES+ Lv 3
SCANNER Lv 3
CQC EX

*JONNY
HANDGUN+ Lv 3
SMG+ Lv 1
ASSAULT RIFLE+ Lv 3
SHOTGUN+ Lv 1
SNIPER RIFLE+ Lv 2
SURVEYOR Lv 1
TRICKSTER Lv 3
CQC Lv SPECIAL
SIXTH SENSE Lv SPECIAL

*MERYL
HANDGUN+ Lv 3
SMG+ Lv 2
ASSAULT RIFLE+ Lv 2
SHOTGUN+ Lv 2
SNIPER RIFLE+ Lv 2
SURVEYOR Lv 1
CQC Lv 2
BLADES+ Lv 2
RUNNER Lv 3
QUICK RECOVERY Lv 3
MONOMANIA Lv 3
SIXTH SENSE Lv PEND
NARC Lv 3
SCANNER Lv 2

*MEI LING
Mortar strike
SOP scanning device
NO CQC

*LIQUID
SOP Destab
SOP weapon lock
CQC EX

*VAMP
HF blade (lethal and non lethal)
Throwing knives
Fall from any height
High jump

*RAIDEN
HF blade (lethal and non lethal)
See all traps
Fall from any height
Throwing knives

Gameplay Modes:
Deathmatch: Everyman for themselves!

Team Deathmatch: Red team vs Blue team. Eliminate the enemy or be ahead when time runs out.

Capture mission: Teams fight to capture either the Kerotan or the GA-KO and then defend it at the goal.

Sneaking mission: Red team vs Blue team with Solid Snake in the midst. One player plays as Snake, another the Mark 2 while the rest are divided into the two teams. To win, Snake must knock soldiers unconscious and steal their dog tags a set number of times without dying. If one of the enemy teams kills Snake a set number of times, he loses.

Team Sneaking: One team is equipped with stun weapons and stealth camouflage, the other equipped with weapons. The stealth team must capture an objective from the defending team. If one person with stealth camo is spotted, the entire teams stealth camo ceases to work because of the SOP system.

Base Mission: Two teams fight to capture control points located on the map. Whoever controls all the points wins.

Rescue Mission: The defending team protects a target and the attacking team must rescue it.

Survival: Gain reward shop points for playing survival mode with official rules - 6pm to 10pm on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

Ranking System
You can earn rank for various achievements, lots of sniper headshots, or knife kills (blankets) but beware you can go both UP and DOWN in rank. The known ranks are as follows:

Snake: Perfers sneaking missions
Eagle: Large percents of headshots
Turtle: Use the Cardboard box a lot
Sloth: Gets shot in the head a lot
Pigeon: Perfers non lethal attacks
Crocodile: Very good kill death ratio
Bee: Uses lots of scans
Flying Squirrel: Have a high percentage of rolling
Kerotan: Prefers Capture rules
Jaws: Large Amount of Knife Kills
Bear: Have a large amount of CQC attacks given
Night Owl: Use the ENVG a lot
Chimera: Large Amount of Sniper Kills
GA-KO: Prefers Rescue rules
Road Runner: Run the majority of the time
Water Bear: Have a high survival rate
Hound: A Superior Soldier
Doberman: A Top-Class Soldier
Fox: The Best of the Best
Foxhound: A Living Legend
Grasshopper: Stick to crawling the majority of the time
Chameleon: Prefers Team Sneaking rules
Tsuchinoko: Rarely plays
Chicken: Rarely participates in battle
Tarantula: High team kill count

The lobby screen
ss0501_01.jpg

The grey/white boxes used to indicate connection status have now been changed to a coloured scale, starting at a red line indicating bad connection, with 2 additional green lines indicating increasingly better connections.

Communication
Basic communication is the use of the triangle button, use this to link up with your team-mates SOP system. You will able to see where they are aiming their gun, if they have shot someone and their health (dead, KO'd etc When linked, you can see their position anywhere on the map.

You can text chat in game, by typing on your USB/wireless or onscreen keyboard. You can also press select and choose the preset messages (which can be modified). Headsets are also supported.

Reward Shop
Using points awarded in the game you can customise your character, without having to delete him and start again!

Clan Support
Clans can be created after you have posted 20hrs of gameplay and reaching atleast level 3. The clan leader can create an emblem, can post notices and host a chat room. Clans can currently have upto 64 members.

MGO Store
* GENE Expansion pack £???
* MEME & SCENE Expansion pack £7.99

GENE Expansion Pack
+ 3 new maps (coppertown conflict, Tomb of Tubes, Virtuous Vista)
+ Ability to make female characters
+ Jonny and Meryl available to play in certain game modes (like Snake, these cant be selected)
+ New Survival mode

MEME Expansion Pack
+ 3 new maps (Forest Firefight, Winter Warehouse, Sunset Silo)
+ Mei Ling and Liquid available to play in certain game modes (like Snake, these cant be selected)

SCENE Expansion Pack
+ 3 new maps (Hazard House, Outer Outlet and Ravaged Riverfront)
+ Vamp and Raiden available to play in certain game modes (like Snake, these cant be selected)

All expansion packs are included in the 1.33 update, so if you are on the latest version of MGO no further downloading will be required for you to play the game with the update. It simply unlocks the extras for your account if you have purchased them.

Future Expansion
+ 1 more expected: SENSE

4 n00bs
+ Use triangle to link up: the more you (and your team mates) know the better.
+ Stick together and cover you team.
+ If you dont want to go with your team, flank the enemy or support them as a sniper, but use triangle!
+ Rambo run and gun (COD4 style) and you'll die quickly.
+ Aim for the head.
+ The box can also put out fire, avoid traps, prevent CQC and make it hard to headshot you!
+ Don't be afraid of auto-lock, its part of the game!
+ You may find 'remembering' the FPS option view easier.

What ports need opening on router/server?
5730 and 5733 UDP
I've also had to open 61921, 63242 and 63385

Where are the AVF players?
In other games most of the time!

Theres no AVF room, got any AVFers I can search for?
JM2488, br0ken, blanketts, deano_1974, DaddyDee, TVR_Fan, pinoy_soldier, $Dan$, Arcadespirit, Hulligan85, Moose Mullay, oldoldsnake (these are the MGO names and not PSN IDs)

I cant find *insert friends name here* online?
They need to be online when you add them for the first time.

Links
Konami ID: https://id.konami.net
MGO official site: http://www.konami.jp/mgo/en/
MGO manual: http://www.konami.jp/mgo/uk/manual/
MGO store: https://my.konami.net/mgo2/login.mgo

Last edited:
I had a quick go on this yesterday and it seems like really good fun :thumbsup:

A little tip though - when I was prompted to download the 1.01 update I tried the recommended P2P option, which seemed like it was taking ages so I cancelled it and chose the HTTP option and it flew along!!

This might be because it was yesterday though and the servers may have been empty.

I was surprised at how in-depth the online part is tbh. You can fully customize your character (even the voice type and pitch) and give him attributes/advantages that you can level up as you progress.

So prepare yourself for the following (as theblacksheep said) when you first go to dive into online as it may pee you off if you're not prepared for it.

1) Install - you have to install the online part to your hard drive too, although it's much smaller than the original game install and doesn't take long

2) Download update, which will then also be installed (the installing part only takes seconds)

3) Log in with your Konami Game ID which you can get at id.konami.net

4) Create your characters name, appearance and attributes

5) You're good to go!! :smashin:

I spent ages over choosing all my appearance and attributes lol but it was good fun, and the game online seems great (very nice graphics too!!)

Is a headset essential for the online team modes?

Is the konami id and game id still valid from the beta? Or do you have to re-create the id's again? I tried last night but with the servers down (I think) it said the id's were invalid.

I asked this too; was told they should work.

I couldn't remember my password so had to create a new id, which I just did, confirmation email was sent promptly and confirmed registration without a problem.

We have to register for an ID to play it online even though it's not a beta anymore? I'll give this game a go but how backward does this seem? :confused:

We have to register for an ID to play it online even though it's not a beta anymore? I'll give this game a go but how backward does this seem? :confused:

It seems Konami really don't want to use the PSN for their DLC.

I may be cynical but I have a funny feeling the MGO DLC will carry a pretty hefty price tag...

I think there'll be 5 free maps, any extra ones will have to be paid for.

Well after reading the enclosed instruction book with the game, it doesn't mention any need for ids/codes, just that if you are connected to PSN, you are ready to play :confused:

Well after reading the enclosed instruction book with the game, it doesn't mention any need for ids/codes, just that if you are connected to PSN, you are ready to play :confused:

Well, its not lying it by not mentioning it.

but you will need to signup for Konami ID. Might be quicker to do it now before America wakes up and Europe gets home work work.

It's on P55, item 5

"You'll need a Game ID to log in to METAL GEAR ONLINE. Go to the Konami ID Portal Page (http://id.konami.net) to get one"

It's the little Otacon figure saying it in a speech bubble ;)

I went straight to the MGO section, assumed (wrongly) the big diagram would have mentioned that.
Should have carried on further :rotfl:

Konami have certainly gone to a huge effort to avoid the standard patch mechanism, standard game ID, standard DLC system...

Pro Evo 2008 required online registration too, did that create a new ID? I sold my copy long before registering it online.

Seems like a wasted effort IMO, the beta even got delayed by a week as they tried to fix a system which wasn't up to the task, instead of using one which has been in daily use for over a year.

You can't even say it's good for online stat tracking, as Battlefield Bad Company is the latest to prove, that can be done directly from PSN IDs.

To be honest, I can't see a benefit other than being able to release what they like as DLC and charge what they like for it :rolleyes:

To be honest, I can't see a benefit other than being able to release what they like as DLC and charge what they like for it

They probably don't have to pay Sony for fees for PSN purchases. 20% extra is a substantial profit.

Sonys payoff for keeping it PS3!

They probably don't have to pay Sony for fees for PSN purchases. 20% extra is a substantial profit.

True they can save the platform cut, but when I think of the cost of creating and maintaining/supporting all of that infrastructure behind their own bespoke system, versus slightly more return from whatever DLC ends up being purchased, it doesn't sound too financially appealing to me...

Nor does it to any other publisher that I can think of. Strange decision, eh?!

Anyone up for an hours play tonight? I don't want to play in any public games at this point, to avoid potential spoilers.

Yeah the 5 you get on the disc. I reckon any new maps will cost a few pounds.

Got to say all this non standard non integrated seperate online business is a bit of a pain after live.....big backwards step imo...

It will be about protecting their ip and profit margin which I can understand as its cost them a fortune keeping this as a ps3 exclusive.

This might be on the the reasons why its not on the 360 as live integration is mandatory really.

Can we have two players online at the same time on the console? For example as a guest? I've switched a controller on but it didn't seem to do anything

Thanks

Really pleased this actually works for me because I could never login into the Beta due to that stupid "AOL bug" even though I'm with sky!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom