1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Messiah 2 Chip Problems

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by powder40, Feb 9, 2003.

1. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Somebody out there please help. Got a Playstation 2 (version 3) fitted with a Messiah 2 chip. It won't boot Playstation 2 backups all wiring has been checked 3 or 4 times. I can't work out what could be the matter. By the way it has a brand new laser fitted but all dvd films playback in like a green colour. Has anybody had these problems.

2. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The green screen is called Macrovision... Its there to prevent users from copying a DVD to VHS. You can bypass that by either using an S-Video lead or composite... Generally speaking though it shouldn't appear all the time.

As for the Messiah 2... As far as I know there is only the clone available unless I've been looking at all the wrong sites. Also have you read on how to use the mod chips? I know that for the Messiah 1 you had to double press the reset button to enable PSX backup mode...

Re-check the instructions and check all of the wires with a multimeter.

I was thinking about using a Messiah 2 since the original has worked a charm for me. Although I might choose the Magic 3.1 for my next PS2 because of the price.

3. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    The green screen is not Macrosvision, but Sony's own inept anti-copy device on the RGB output. Macrovision is actually more benign, it will allow a perfect RGB output unless you loop through a secondary device, at which point pulse signals ruin the picture.

Sony did not have time to properly implement Macrovision before the PS2 went to market, so their cludge was to output a green screen for RGB DVD output, essentially removing the feature from the PS2 spec.

I seem to remember a solution being posted on these boards a year or two ago, possibly by Groundy but I can't quite remember. Involved soldering a new link on the PS2 motherboard though, so not for the ham-fisted! ;)

4. powder40

powder40

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read that there is a problem with a batch of Messiah's the batch number is 0245 Is anybody else aware of this problem.

5. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CarlB, there is indeed a way to bypass this green screen and it should be found on one of the Messiah installation pictures. The soldering point is TINY however... But if you manage to do it, its game on. Personally I never bothered because the DVD playback is poor enough as it is.

6. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Neoblade,

You're spot on about the PS2 DVD playback...