MESSED UP MY iPhoto - NEED HELP!

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by yakflyer, Jan 29, 2009.

1. yakflyer

yakflyer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought a new iMac in mid December 2008 and uploaded over 10,000 photos to iPhoto in early January. Time machine set up too.

Today, I managed to send all 10,000 pics to Trash while cleaning up "All Images", then I emptied the Trash. Didn't realise that I was actually deleting all the pics in iPhoto; thought I was simply cleaning up the computer!

Anyway, went back a couple of days in Time Machine, having got iPhoto on screen first, then asked it to "Restore All". 15 minutes later the restore says it's done.

When I click on some photos in iPhoto, the pic enlarges OK. However, in some folders, clicking on virtually all the pics in that folder gets the message:

"The voluyme for DSCxxxx cannot be found.
    Insert the disk or connect to the server volume and wait for it to appear on the desktop, then try again". Underneath there are three buttons, 'Cancel', 'Find Photo' and 'OK'.

Clicking cancel several times gets rid of the warning, but the pic refuses to open correctly - even though the data on the LHS shows that it is a full 4Mb pic or whatever.

In some folders every pic is OK; whereas in other folders, almost every pic comes up with the warning, and refuses to open. Any ideas, anybody, on how to restore ALL the pics to their normal function? Lloyd

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,054
    do you have the actual photos in their raw state, so you just want to get the iphoto part back?

If you just want the photos, you can go into time machine and open up the iphoto library (right click, show package contents) and then browse to the 'original' or 'modified'(if you've made edits) folders and then you should be able to drag them into your current state.

3. yakflyer

yakflyer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Richard. When I click on the pics in iPhoto they all show as JPEGS. Surprisingly, the ones which won't open still show as full-size, ie. 3MB or 4.2MB, so in theory, I should be able to open the pics normally. Not sure what you mean by raw (unless you're referring to the original format); the pics were both taken and stored in JPEG format. Strangely, in other folders, almost every pic opens perfectly. Will try your suggestion anyway and let you know how I get on. Thanks again. Lloyd

4. yakflyer

yakflyer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK Richard, tried your suggestion, but never did find Package Contents. I went back to the very first save on Time Machine. When I tried to open the pics I can open now (in the restored iPhoto) I could also open them in time machine. Good. But when I went to open the pics which won't open now in the restored iPhoto, they also wouldn't open in Time Machine. Which makes me wonder if the pics were corrupted when they were brought over from my old PC to the Mac. But if that is the case, why are they still showing as full-size? Lloyd