1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Messed up HD5 - Service menu - Help !!

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by gguigui, Jul 4, 2005.

1. gguigui

gguigui

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

As I am French, I might make so mistakes, so please excuse my English...
    I own a NW-HD5 and I tried to unlock the sound limitation due to EU laws (which was very stupid of me because I bought it to someone who got it in Japan...). But my curiosity was too strong, and I tried some other settings in the service menu. Since then, I can't listen to it anymore : no more sound, just a clipping from time to time, and the songs are jumping from 0:00 to 1: (approximately). As if the playback was accelerated.

Is there a way to go back to the previous settings ? (I already tried to go back to the factory settings, but it's not working)

Help please !

Guillaume

2. AlexGarfield

AlexGarfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you tried to set it back to the factory settings?
    its in the main menu i think

3. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In this situation, assuming you cant/wont take it back to Sony for resetting/repairing, then do the following:

Firstly remove the battery for half an hour and then replace it, to see if the player is simply confused. If that makes no difference, then try the following, but be warned that you stand as much chance of causing further problems as you have of fixing it.

But i guess if its not currntly working, you have little to loose anymore.....

Get a notepad and paper

Go back into the service menu. There are 3 subsections POWER, AUDIO and OTHERS.

use the UP and DOWN keys to step through these sections and the LEFT and RIGHT keys to go into and backout of sub-sections of these menus.

Write down the whole menu tree (including sub-menus) and check it twice to make sure you havnt missed any of the menu or sub-menu items.

Then CAREFULLY go to each item ( you should be able to ignore any that have TEST or CHK in the title ), press PLAY to see its current setting.

Write that setting down, then press LEFT to go back to the menu.

Your problems are likely to be some AUDIO item(s) which are incorrectly set.

Try changing them one at a time (making sure you write down the changes you have made, so you can undo it if neccesary)

Good luck

Michael

4. gguigui

gguigui

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so it's working again...Just a good old disk formatting, and everything was ok. As we say in French, "la curiosité est un vilain défaut !". I will be more careful when exploring hidden menus...
    Thanks for your answer !

5. Mike_manchester

Mike_manchester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you managed to fix it yourself - You can relax with a good bottle of vintage wine now, paid from the money you would have had to pay Sony to fix it....... :D