Messed up Cat6 speaker cable ?

slingshot

Established Member
Reaction score
OK I've just made a stereo pair of Cat6 (couldn't get the cat 5 stuff from Maplin so bought the UTP version from here http://www.datalinkcabling.co.uk/cat-6.aspx?id=9), using the TNT twisted snake pattern i.e. each side is 6 runs of Cat 6, I then terminated them with some homegrown audio banana's.

I've replaced my Chord Odyssey and they sound slightly better in the Bass and Mid, a bit tighter I think (but I need the girlfriend to tell me what to think), however I'm finding the treble way to tinnie, so have I messed something up.
I admit I had a bit of a nightmare soldering the banana's and switched to non Silver solder since I just couldn't get the silver solder to melt easily on the banana's (they are quite big chunks of metal to solder to).

So should I try and resolder, would this solve my problem ? and has anyone got any tips on soldering these banana's ? Or should I go back to the Chord's and forget it ?

Cheers

Slingshot

Oh the rest of the kit is Tag AV32, Arcam P90 power amp and PMC OB1 speakers, if anyone thinks any of that lot makes a difference.

Only thing I can think is that it might be worth trying the cables without any plugs at all. just screw the bare wire into the binding posts at either end and see if you like the sound better, if you do then it might be worth having a look at different soldering methods, if it's the same then thats what the cables sound like :)

you need a temperature controlled soldering gun, for most uses the standard 25w are normally fine but for LS cables I generally find you need something bigger and more responsive. Silver solder often melts at a higher temperature as well, this would lead to dry joints if you have not compensated for it.

Silver solder is a real pain in the arse to use and to be honest I don't recommend using it anymore in DIY cable projects - a good "standard" joint is much better than a poor silver solder joint. Also remember that any solder within your equipment will just be of the "standard" type, particularly within speakers unless they're crimped. :)

Well in a fit of madness I tried Owains advice and chopped all 16 bananas off and no difference, may try it for a week or 2 because in some ways it is a definate improvement on the Chord, maybe the top end is supposed to be like that !

Anyway didn't cost a fortune, I needed some cat 5 for PC duties anyway.

Slingshot.

Hmmm..... Made up some CAT6 cable out of the shielded variety. Didn't work very well at all. Glad to hear that unshielded seems to be better. Though certainly not right. I've always found CAT5 to give nice smooth highs. CAT6 I must say was a disapointment.

Nic Rhodes said:
you need a temperature controlled soldering gun, for most uses the standard 25w are normally fine but for LS cables I generally find you need something bigger and more responsive. Silver solder often melts at a higher temperature as well, this would lead to dry joints if you have not compensated for it.

Bloody great iron (100w+ - one of the one-turn transformer/pistol type) works fine for me & allows silver solder on big connectors. A little skill reqired, but not too much

Cheers

Greg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom