1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Message to STUART and people. Amps and Onkyo.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by falvarez, Dec 20, 2000.

Tags:
  1. falvarez

falvarez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Stuart and people.
    I'm new in this thing called Home Cinema and i'm looking
    for a good system but i don't have a big budget.
    I've benn looking for reviews and the best thing in my budget
    i think is Onkyo td575-X (i think is newer than the one
    you reviewed but i'm not sure).
    The loudspeakers i like the most are B&W 602 front and 601 surround.
    What do you think?
    I think that Onkyo and B&W both don't color the signal. Would that sound
    a little soft? i like "aggressive music" like hard rock and hip-hop. I would
    like to feel the bass but not to get a headache.
    Do you think is a good set?
    Other recomendations for that fits better my music tastes (i also like DVD good
    sound).
    Maybe should i get a more aggressive amp or more aggressive loudspeakers?

I'm doubting with the Onkyo because of your review. You don't tell very good news
    i think.

I would really appreciatte a big answer because i'm plenty of doubts.

Thanx.

Fede.

2. Stuart M. Robinson

Stuart M. Robinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fede,

I guess your message is addressed to me since I reviewed the Onkyo TX-DS575 for Home Cinema Choice…

"I'm doubting with the Onkyo because of your review. You don't tell very good news
    i think."

The 575 wasn't the worst receiver I've come up against, but then it wasn't the best either. The TX-D575-X is an updated version, Onkyo has addressed some of my concerns, the newer model no longer uses spring-clip loudspeaker terminals and more importantly has an expanded array of I/O terminals. I won’t know if the sonic performance has improved until supplied with a sample (right now I have a TX-DS787).

"The loudspeakers i like the most are B&W 602 front and 601 surround. What do you think?"

You're not likely to go far wrong with B&W and if they’re the loudspeakers you like, then that's what matters. However, B&W can be fussy about amplification so probably deserve something with a little more gusto than the Onkyo.

"I think that Onkyo and B&W both don't color the signal."

All receivers and all loudspeakers 'colour' a signal, especially the latter. Your room will have even more impact upon how your system deviates from a flat response.

"i like "aggressive music" like hard rock and hip-hop. I would like to feel the bass but not to get a headache."

Are you planning to put a sub-woofer into this system? That'll have a huge impact when selecting the remainder of your hardware.

Stuart M. Robinson
    SMR Group – http://www.smr-group.co.uk/