Message for Uncle Eric re Cinematrix PSM2

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pcavelle, Sep 27, 2001.

1. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hello Uncle Eric -

Do you know what the PSM2 will have in addition to the PSM1? Dvi? Will it accept analogue sources too?

Will it be a standalone box or still an internal upgrade? If the former, do you know how you will attach a DVD player (digitally) as well as other sources?

The reason I'm asking you these is because I've had little joy with Cinematrix directly.

Thanks - Paul

2. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, sorry Paul, just spoted your post.
    Psm-2....deep breath,
    This is what has been said so far,
    1)Variable frame rate conversion
    2)SDI
    3)Better PAL performance
    3)Better Animation performance, no combing etc
    4)On screen control with remote
    5)Some sort of computerised self calibration with sencore type device
    6)Demo is the Top Toshiba which looks awsome
    7)Possibly there will also be standalone scaler later on

Best Wishes
    Eric

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    It doesn't help when they won't answer their emails on this either :(

4. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    There appears to be a closeout sale going on at Cinematrix as well as at one of their better suppliers (see http://www.xsorbit.com/users/J.A.F._Doorhof/index.cgi?board=ITC under thread called PSM-1 Superdeals).

Given the clearance sale, the PSM-2 could be close to release but don't hold your breath. I'm upgrading my 737 to PSM-1 now and upgrading again to the PSM-2 once the dust settles after its release and the bugs have been ironed out of its system.

There is some doubt as to whether the PSM-2 is actually better than the PSM-1 depending on what equipment its attached to. I suspect what that means is that high-end CRT will see some dramatic improvement but low to mid end less so - we'll see.

Uncle Eric, I assume you are first in line (yet again!) for the PSM-2?
    Regards,
    Paul

[ 08-10-2001: Message edited by: PaulB ]

5. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,
    I am interested in the Psm-2 but I cant keep buying new dvd players.

If something comes along that is possible to mod with multi channel SACD and DVD Audio capabilities then I will probably go for it.

I know the Pioneer AX10 does it all, but I doubt their will be many people waiting in line to get one of these ripped open.

Best Wishes
    Eric

6. Halcion

Halcion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the upcoming Pioneer DV-747 (multichannel, SACD->analog, DVD-A->analog, cd, progressive dvd) will probably be the best candidate.

It only costs c. £1,100 and if it performs well enough, it could be a real money saver (sacd/dvd-a/dvd in one).

Shipping ETA is Dec 2001 - Jan 2002. Let's wait and see.

cheers,
    Halcyon

7. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    I know what you mean - I had intended buying a new player but can't find the one I really wanted (DVD Audio, SACD, 4meg Buffer, no chroma bug) so I thought bugger it, I'll go the cheap route by upgrading my existing player for about £400 or so. If I can hold out for a year/18 months there should be better players with built-in scalers at a good price. Well, thats the theory anyway.

The PSM-2 is supposed to plug-in to the existing PSM-1 module so we should be able to upgrade fairly cheapy if need be - we'll see. ETA for my mod is end of next week if the batch of 737's being modded this weekend are successful, fingers crossed!

The 747 does look good but I doubt it addresses the 737's problems of slow layer changes (grrrr!)and the dreaded chroma bug (boooo!) which to me are important though I'll have to live with them for the time being. If Pioneer cracked these 2 problems they'd sell a million of them to the home cinema crowd!

Regards,
    Paul