1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Message for Tel boy

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by DodgeTheViper, Nov 8, 2001.

1. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,514
    I noticed your comments on 'black lines' on a TV screen. I have a Panasonic 36pf10 which suffers from horizontal scan lines covering the whole screen while only watching DVD through RGB. They will move up then stabilise , then move down and so on.

Have you seen this?

Kev

2. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    Hi Kevin,

Thats one of the problems I had with my PF10 and I have seen it mentioned by many people on this forum and in news groups.

The 'black lines' problem described in the other post is something that ALL Sony Trinitron tubes suffer from (including computer monitors and small portables)

Its not black lines in the picture a such, but 2 horzontal lines just behind the glass.

As far as I know, they are wires which are holding the shadow mask in place and is part of the design..

You generally see them when you get close to the screen, which is why they p**s people off on computer monitors. With small screens, (like a computer monitor) you have to sit close and the wires are very obvious..

But when you sit a long way back (i.e with a large screen) you can't notice them.

I am not sure if there is a solution to your PF10 problem, other than not using RGB. That was one of the reasons why mine went back!

3. DodgeTheViper

DodgeTheViper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,514
    Thanks John,

Think i,ll go shopping soon !!!

Kev

4. Tel boy

Tel boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Kevin,
    Can’t say I have noticed the lines that you mention on the 36 PF10 but then again when I viewed this TV in some shop it would have been showing a normal channel via the RF source. I’m no expert on subjects like DVD & RGB etc, but more than likely someone on here has the knowledge to help you.
    You say that these lines are only visible when watching a DVD may be this is something to do with the RGB but to be honest I ain’t got a clue M8.
    The black lines that I mentioned on the Sony’s, they are to do with how the components in the tube are held together, for more info on this (if you are interested) look at my post
    HERE
    As I mentioned all TV’s seem to have some problem, & if you wait for the manufactures to get it right….well I’m afraid your in for a long wait, it’s a question of what you can live with.
    At present I fancy a Panny 32 PB 50 but the set has quite a bad bowing affect in the bottom right corner of the screen. Will have to try & find out if this is fixable, because I don’t know if I could live with it. Strangely enough I couldn’t see / notice the bowing on the 36 PL 30, so I wonder if the 32 PB 50 was just badly set up from the factory, or if the 32 inch tube is giving them probs.
    If no one posts on this thread with any advice regarding your lines problem try posting a new subject asking for advice / info on your problem.

Good luck, Tel. :)

5. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +639
    Go to 'www.dejanews.com' and search for "PF10 BANDS"

I just did and got pages of posts about the problem.

Didn't have chance to read them all, but who knows, there might be a solution by now.

All i can remember was that I had this problem, but then I managed to negotiate getting the TV swapped for a Sony and never thought about it again.

If it bothers you, you could switch to Composite Video whilst you get to the bottom of this.

Whilst the picture is no-where near as good, when the picture its moving, you hardly notice..

I just had a quick scan through some of the posts, and they suggest snipping wires in the SCART. Come to think of it I did do this on mine, but I can't remember whether it helped.

There are 2 things to try.

1. Make the SCART lead one-way, by cutting the Audio/Video OUT at one end. (Pins 1 and 3 for Audio and 19 for Video)

2. Cut out all unused pins

3. One of the suggestions was to cut out some of the earths (i.e 17 for Video).. This might not be a good thing as the Video signal on Pin 20, won't have an earth.. But, saying that, ALL earths are commoned so it might help.

I dont' remember if this helped me, but its worth a try.

Good luck.