1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

message for DDdavo

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by mobily, Jan 7, 2004.

1. mobily

mobily
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I know that you have a sony dav-s550 and just wondered if you could answer me a few questions.

I have noticed that the rated impedance of the speakers is 4 ohms. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't that a little low for an all in one system?

Also after just plugging the system in to make sure it is working I noticed that the volume can go up to a maximum of 40. My dad has a sony 500 and usually a volume of about 14 sounds more than adequate. Maybe our family just has exceptional hearing!! But surely anything louder than 20 would be bursting the ear drums.

Some of the comments I have read on the 550 are that it doesn't get loud enough even when on maximum. What sort of level do you listen to your system at and do you find the system to lack the volume one would like out of a cinema system?

Cheers,

James

2. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Yep. As i say, my room is 3m x 3m. Quite small. Max volume is 40 or the rates 500 watt pmpo. I find this fine. Playing aduio CD's at volume 20 is reasonably loud. I also gnerally play DVD's at that volume. For avergae volume, i hav it on 10 or 12. I find it plentyful but need to know the size of your room. I'll post later tonight with more info.

Cheers

3. PaulJ

PaulJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Just thought i'd give you my input.

I find the volume to be very adequate. My room is about 5m x 4m. I usually listen to DVD's on 14 but the most I would go to is about 22, when no-one else is in ! :D

Don't tend to listen to many CD's on the system though.

:smashin:

4. mxs

mxs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I listen to DVD's at around 14-16, I find this level more than adequate. :D

5. DDDavo

DDDavo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Said i'll reply later. And here i am. I've just chucked in an audio CD, banged up the rear channels to +6db and the sub up to +6db turned up voume to max, and it hurts!!!! Music, on average i'd say volume 12, if i want a more loud experience, about 20. Which is great. DVD's. About the same. I also run ym Pc through it but have that on vol 8 becuase although the ouput from my PC is set low, it still provides more volume. Bass as volume 40 is rather stunning. Since my sub is upstairs, go downstairs and you simply get BANG BANG BANG, sorry neighbours! So i would say i never generally go over 20. Although the system is rates at 500watts that is pmpo values or some value and typical rms output is around 10% maybe slightly more of the 500. I reckon you will be fine!!

Any more questions, just post below. Hppy to help like members of this forum helped me decide my system!