1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mesmerized by choice of screen

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by nidgew, Apr 19, 2005.

1. nidgew

nidgew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi everyone hope you are all cool
    im nidge from west yorkshire england and have rather a n important question i hope you experts at av forums could help me with
    here goes
    i have just re decorated the living room and have recently sold my toshiba zp 36 crt tv (nice telly) in order to make way for a new wall mountable replacement. the problem is which one to go for.
    you see the problem is that the room isn't over big so a 42 inch lcd/plasma could be too large so looking for a 36-42 model.
    the next piece of this puzzle is deciding on spec . i have recently built a mini pc running media center 2005 that i want at the center of my media revolution (hehehe),so has to be able to run at a high resolution (hdtv res would be good).
    also i need a screen that connects to a media box rather than at the back of the screen in order to cut down on wires from all my equipment to the screen (would look gastly)
    has anyone any ideas ?

i have looked at phillips 37pf9986
    and sharp lc - 37gd1e
    nice tv but not sure if they connect via a media box or not

if not these which ones would you recommend

i also love the look of the pioneer pdp 435 xde as would be perfect only i think it would be too big

phew thats it

cheers

nidge :thumbsup:

2. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Well, forget the 9986. Connection to a PC is a no go, and it doesnt have an external media box. The Sharp i believe has a media box, and will let you connect a PC at the native resolution, but you will have to wait for the Sharp owners to confirm this.

3. richiecas

richiecas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If the PC has a HDMI connection why is the philips no good for connection? What is wrong with the picture froma PC on this screen as I am considering a similar situation?

4. DanH

DanH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Do a search in this forum for threads on 9986 and PC connection. You will see that although it does work, it doesnt work correctly. Connection via DVI will not let you display a resolution of 1366x768 (the 9986 native resolution) only 1280x768. This unfortunately leaves black bars on the left and right of the image. Consequently if you watch a DVD (with the normal aspect ratio of 2.35:1) you will get black bars at the top, bottom, left and right. In other words, a much smaller image than you should be getting, and not very good for HTPC use at all.

5. Xelon

Xelon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    A PC with HDMI? I don't think so, DVI maybe?

DanH is correct the 9986 is a complete no go for HTPC use, this is a well trodden subject on these forums.

As for the Sharp 37" GD1, this is getting on a bit now, most places still charging £3K +. Hitachi, Panasonic, Philips, LG and Samsung all have new 37" & 40" models waiting in the wings due for release between now and Summer, better spec and much cheaper, don't know about Media Boxes though.

6. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Wait for the new Sharps due in June.

7. bfinteractive

bfinteractive

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: