Mesh seat office chair recommendations? Old or used, around £200 all in

chippyteaforme

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this gets asked all the time!

Got an old Herman Miller downstairs (epic chair, had it for a good 15 years I think). I'm after another chair for a spare room that sometimes gets used as an office but can't justify the cost of a new one of those for the use it'll get.

I outright refuse to buy 'cheap' chairs from the high street - Argos and suchlike. Maybe I abuse chairs (move about too much?) maybe I'm too heavy (110kg?) but they either end up sinking, snapping somewhere so they rock back and forth, or just getting tatty and crappy too quickly. I can't be bothered wasting money on a chair I'll end up throwing away.

Are there any recommendations for a new chair around the £200 mark (delivered) that's solidly built? Needs to have both mesh back and mesh seat as my 'seat' overheats on normal foam or leather!!

Failing that, a used chair, preferably with a link to a reseller, in the same price range?

Unfortunately as you've already experienced one of the best, anything else will now feel inferior.
Similar to you, I've had a Herman Miller Aeron in chrome for 3 years and couldn't go back.

Have you looked on ebay for a used Herman Miller Celle? You might be able to pick up one of those for around £200 if you look hard enough, but may need to find one local and collect to get a real bargain.

There is a decent looking one on ebay right now starting at £125, or best offer with a 2 days left to run. Looks in decent almost new condition as well, based in London?

Unfortunately as you've already experienced one of the best, anything else will now feel inferior.
Similar to you, I've had a Herman Miller Aeron in chrome for 3 years and couldn't go back.

Have you looked on ebay for a used Herman Miller Celle? You might be able to pick up one of those for around £200 if you look hard enough, but may need to find one local and collect to get a real bargain.

There is a decent looking one on ebay right now starting at £125, or best offer with a 2 days left to run. Looks in decent almost new condition as well, based in London?

I'm thinking you are probably right. I mean the one I have, brace yourself - cost me a fiver. Got it from a charity shop about 15 years ago, when I was shopping with dad. Said 'that looks sturdier than my normal chairs', so bought it. Couldn't believe how heavy and solid it was.

Decided I'd like another one afterwards, so looked for name on it, and Googled the name on the sticker. As you can imagine I was (a) impressed I got such a ridiculous bargain, and (b) gutted that I'd never get one at that price again!

I've checked local selling pages on Facebook for chairs (nothing that looks suitable), and eBay sorted according to distance for Herman Miller, but no amazing bargains.

Will keep checking though, and if needs be I'll fork out for a refurbished one from some kind of office clearance place on the internet :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom