1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Merry is the month of May!!!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by PoochJD, Apr 20, 2002.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi All,

May looks like an exciting month for Cult and US TV fans, in general! Having gone through the entire month's edition of "Satellite TV Europe" magazine, you ought to be prepared to watch/video the following:

** All dates and times are correct at time of writing! **

"The Sopranos" Season 2 (E4, from Friday 3rd May)

"Planet Of The Apes" Day (Film Four on Saturday 4th)

"Sleepwalkers" (A complete late-night run from Sunday 5th May, every Sunday on Sci-Fi.)

"Mortal Kombat: Conquest" (The hilariously awful US TV series based on the film and Japanese computer game, Bravio, from Tuesday 7th, late at night!)

"Texas Chain Saw Massacre" Double Bill (Film Four Extreme, Sunday 12th from 10pm)

"Monty Python's Flying Circus" (Paramount Comedy Channel, Daily Mon-Thursdays, from Thursday 16th)

"Blue Thunder" (1980's US action series, Bravo, Mon-Fridays @ Midday and 4pm, from the 16th!)

"Dune: The Mini-Series" (Over three consecutive nights, from Sunday 19th on Sci-Fi) (In Widescreen, hopefully!)

"Miami Vice" (Granada Plus does another run, in the bizarrely scheduled slots of 11am and late-the-same-night at 1am, from Tuesday 21st)

"Quantum Leap" (UK Gold moves this to a new, late-night slot, so the more contentious episodes can be aired uncut, daily Mon-Fridays, after Midnight approx, from Wednesday 22nd!)

"Smallville" (E4 finally give the show its due worth, and air it, uncut and uncensored, in Widescreen, from the very beginning, and in the correct order. Every Friday night, from the 24th. Starting with a 30-minute documentary, then at 9pm the same night, the first two episodes as seen in their original US versions, and not the horrendous bodged-together Channel 4 jobbie shown in January 2002!!!)

"Dark Angel" (Sky One, every Monday night, around 1:50am!! Is this a Season 1 rerun, or a Season 2 rerun, or simply that same nights episode, repeated?!)

"Total Recall 2070" (Controversial Canadian/US sci-fi series loosely based on the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie of the same name. Totally for adults only, as the show depicts violence, langauge and nudity only seen in "18" certificate films! Not the greatest show, by any standard, but interesting nonetheless! Daily Mon-Fridays around 1am from Tuesday 28th/Wednesday 29th!)

"First Wave" (This amazing drama gets a complete 3-season rerun, from the beginning, at the odd times of 5pm, with a next-day Midday repeat, on Sci-Fi. Starts on Wednesday 29th!)

"Airwolf" (The rarely-seen controversial "torture" episode, gets a once-only, uncut, late-night airing in the very late-night hours of Thursday 30th May at 3am, on Bravo!)

Also, don't forget that the excellent "24" and "Dark Skies" continue on BBC2 (Sunday nights at 10pm) and C4 respectively (Saturday nights, late)!

I hope some of these shows tickle your fancy! Enjoy!

Pooch

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Owning satellite really is like never ageing.
    So what side is that Total Recall thingy on Pooch? I've seen snippets and thought it looked pretty dire, though I missed the sex so what side?!!
    Third Watch is perhaps the best really late thing on at present, yet another C4 schedule butchering.
    What's Sleep Walkers?
    Well done on the headsup matie.;)

3. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +855
    "Blue Thunder"

..you're kidding me, right? - the Roy Schieder film wasent bad in its day, but the series....nuf said :)

"Miami Vice"

I looked forward to reliving this series again, the first time Granada Plus showed it, but only 4 or so into the series, and they started to miss out entire episodes (as confirmed on a number of fan sites). What a joke, but fingers crossed for this time.

"Smallville"

Good news indeed, as i missed the first couple of episodes, so never bothered after that.

"Total Recall 2070"

Bad news - there isnt actually that much sex in it as such (i watched it all the first time round), but it is one of the most intelligent sci-fi series i have watched, and it made a change to watch something that was def. not targeted at younger viewers as well.

...were they not ALL 'torture' episodes? ;-)

Anyway, a few opinions aside, thanks for the heads-up on a lot of that stuff.

Dean

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi,

In response to some of the questions/issues raised:

1) "Total Recall 2070" is on Sky 1. Apologies for omitting that rather important detail! Having only seen the first two episodes / Pilot Movie, I can't comment on the rest of the show, but it looked interesting, and like you said, Dean, it was better for being aimed at adults!

2) "Sleepwalkers" is a series about a group of scientists who treat people with sleeping disorders. They are able to enter that person's subconcious and sort out whatever issue is causing them to not be able to sleep. What makes it great, is that the series is very dark and quite graphic in nature. This is one of those shows that only lasted 9 or 10 episodes, and then got pulled in the US. Yet, it was an intriguing concept, that really had the ability to go in almost any direction that it wanted, due to the flexibility of the premise. Stars Abraham Benrubi, who is better known as desk clerk "Jerry" in US medical drama "E.R."!

"Airwolf" was always pretty ropey, but then many of the best 1980's action/adventure shows were as well. "Knight Rider", "The A-Team", "Blue Thunder", "Manimal", "Street Hawk", etc, etc were all totally corny, but for some reason they were able to make you watch them endless times, week-in, week-out!

I haven't seen "Blue Thunder" since it originally aired on BBC1, way, way back in the mid-1980's on Monday nights, so I can't tell if it was any good or not. I do remember though, it had Dana Carvey (I think) from the movie "Wayne's World" in it, as the co-pilot, if memory serves, before he became famous.

I expect "Miami Vice" will probably run into the same problems that has always plagued the Granada Plus runs - i.e. that some of the episodes simply aren't suitable for pre-10pm time-slots. As such, I expect that this latest run, will probably be random select episodes, or they will horrendously edit it, to make it suitable for daytime viewing. Which, in my opinion at least, makes it kind of pointless airing the show at all!

Pooch

5. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,368
    Hi PoochJD thank for all the tips.

Just some thoughts on some mentioned above:

1 Total Recall 2070 is not bad at all and as far as I remember had nothing to do with the film of the same name, set in the future as the title suggest the world is more like that of Blade Runner also the main character is a cop who’s partner is a android. The story line is quite dark as well.

2 Sleepwalker, I didn’t care for, not a patch on Dreamscape.

3 What’s this torture scene in Airwolf? Is it Stringfellows main squeeze who goes undercover as a dancer?

4 Miami Vice liked the series started watching it last time it was shown, but missed when Lieutenant Martin Castillo joined the team I will have to look out for that one.

5 Dark Skies said it before starts good, slows in the middle, and picks up again when Jerry Ryan joins the cast.

If you never seen the above it is always advisable to have a look despite a good or bad review.

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Hi Garrett,

The "Airwolf" torture episode, is not the 18-certificated version of the "Pilot Movie", that you're probably thinking of. In fact, the controversial episode is from Season 3. It was called "Fortune Teller", and from what I've heard, there's a lengthy scene involving Archangel (or Michael Goldsmith Briggs III) being tortured. Alas, I don't know anything more than that. Sorry.

Due to the content, Bravo have been ordered by the ITC not to air this episode before 10pm at night, hence the very, very late airing, at the end of May.

Hope this helps.

Pooch

7. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    bump