Quantcast

Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence Blu-ray Review

The News Bot

News Supplying Robot
Reviewed by Alan Paterson, 10th October 2011.
The unconventional Prisoner of War movie ‘Merry Christmas, Mister Lawrence’ comes to UK, Region B locked Blu-ray with a variable looking 1080p AVC/MPEG-4 transfer, framed in the widescreen 1.85:1 aspect ratio. There’s noticeable grain throughout and contrast could be better in many scenes as could shadow detail. Not quite as bitingly sharp as you’d expect from a Blu-ray.

The audio comes in both a DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround mix (which appears to have some sound level issues between music and dialogue) and an LPCM 2.0 mix which is a very workmanlike functional track and does some justice to the haunting main theme.

The bonus material includes a period ‘Making of...’ featurette, interviews with producer Jeremy Thomas and Actor/Composer Ryuichi Sakamoto as well as a brief background piece on actor Takeshi Kitano – and the theatrical trailer for the film.

As a film it’s an interesting look at the culture clash in a World War II Japanese POW camp with a standout performance from Tom Conti, ably supported by rock legend David Bowie. An unusual movie for those who like something a little different.

Read the full review...

BRW

Novice Member
OMG did you just give up the entire ending of the movie, I'm gutted - you do realise there are still people out there who have never seen this movie!

Altogether now:

dah nah nah nah ching!
dah nah nan er dan er nan er ching!
Der der der der,
dah nah nah nah ching!

Sends chills up my spine even humming it to myself.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
As much as I like the film, you have to admit that Bowie makes the most unlikely hard man commando in cinema history!

Last edited: