Merkur Razor System

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Geordie Jester, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    Again.....the subject of shaving !!

I am always on a quest for a decent shave. I've certainly decided that the gel/cream you use has a big effect on the overall shaving goodness. King of Shaves stuff seems to suit me best. Even with cheapo disposables the gel makes it bearable.

but.....blades and blade systems......

after a frankly diabolical try with Wikinson Sword Quatro system and the average RZR range I am thinking about ditching for an old fashioned product.

checkout this and the lists of reviews below
    http://www.mankind.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=22525

The initial outlay is high, but then the blades (on the same site are 4 quid for 10 - double sided).

It would certainly pay for itself fairly quickly when you compare with the dreadful prices of Fusion ranges etc.

Does anyone have hands-on experience of one ? Does anyone know if you can buy in any high-street stores ? I would prefer to take a look at the weekend.

:D

2. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,285
    it looks like it uses the old fashioned blades split in 2 , so you are only paying £35 for a nice looking handle . this looks like it does the same job , but for less than £4 inc blades :D

3. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    interesting. certainly a bit cheaper. But the fancy handle does give you adjustment to the 'closeness' of the shave mind you.

might be worth a go though !! Or it could turn into a bloodbath !

would be interesting to try the cheap handle, but with more expensive blades
    http://www.mankind.co.uk/ProductDetails.asp?ProductID=22538

they look like they might take the same size

4. Astraeus

Astraeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    These are my feelings on the matter...

I wouldn't worry about purchasing from Mankind. They're a superb, reputable shop which I use regularly (-10 man points). If you're concerned about the size/weight of the razor, I believe I passed by a similar design in Debenhams the other day which will allow you to gauge how comfortable you'd feel with that in your hand. I'm pretty certain that Merkur razors aren't available on the high street as Mankind imports them from Germany - if you do find any, please let me know!

5. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    cheers for that. I don't mind ordering on tinternet, its just I was going to hopefully call somewhere on Saturday to try it asap.

you reckon the Boots one will be a disaster. I guess the quality/sharpness of the blades will be the decider ?

6. BiggieBig

BiggieBig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    have you tried a recent generation of electric shavers..

I was susceptible at first but I’m now a convent

The new phlips cool shave is better on the skin then conventional blades (I have sensitive skin) because it doest scrap a layer off you face each time you shave. It's also as close shave as you want it to be i.e keep going over the same area. Can also be used as a wet shaver, I use shaving cream and find it just as refreshing as a wet shave with a blade.

7. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    I haven't electric in a while, but when I did use it, I found my skin actually was more irritated by it. It also seemed to take longer.

8. Astraeus

Astraeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    I don't know about the Boots one but I'd always err on the side of caution - Merkur have a fantastic reputation and that razor is constantly getting plaudits for being one of the best available. I'm not sure skimping on a few pounds is worth it and you certainly won't feel as gentlemanly when you look over your bathroom cabinet. :D

I use an electric shaver for day-to-day shaving as it's not convenient to wet shave every morning but I much prefer the feeling of a proper, well-done razorblade wet shave than I do the electric shave. Each to his own.