1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meridian worth the extra £?

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by gavp, May 16, 2005.

1. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi guys.

I have deciced to to upgrade to a processor power amp combo and recently checked out the Rotel 1068 and 1075 combo which I thought was quite impressive heard through the speakers i'm buying (Wharfedale Opus).

I'm interested to know peoples opinions as I can aquire the Rotel combo for £1000 but am looking at a Meridian 561 and Rotel 1075 combo for around £1400, what interests me is the Meridians ability with music using the centre channel in Trifield and so on.

The question is, is the meridian a better processor than the Rotel and which will I gain the most enjoyment out of :confused:

2. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    To be honest I don't think a 561 is worth it. A 568 yeah, but a 561 I don't think so. Just not that much better you are using the same power amplification, The meridian pre is good as you say probably better for stereo but the more modern processing inside the Rotel is better for Movies n PL IIx.

Yes, this is my own opinon... and there are probably lots that disagree :)

Steff

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The Meridan 568 won't do PLIIx. You need atleast the 568.2 for that, and then only in a 7.x environment.

-Ian

4. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In this stuff (IMO) processing is everything. The question is can you hear the difference? With the G series available and selling well, the 500 series should come off a bit in price making it easier to buy, but if you can't tell, then you wasting money and

<girlie mode>you'd be better of with a same brand which will look nicer </girlie mode>

:D

5. gavp

gavp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Cheers guys,
    my thinking was along the lines that the Meridian 561 was originally £3k compared to the Rotel at £1k does the difference in price not suggest higher end sound /performance, music I want to be good and with films as long as it can do decent 5.1 I'll be happy.
    Am I right in thinking that the 561 is upgradeable to newer formats? Have seen for sale a 565 with 562v and also a 568, from the website the 561 is a combination of the 565 and 562v? Is the 568 upgradeable to the 568.2?
    Have also stumbled across a Tag McLaren AV32R 192-BP Single Processor and a Cyrus AV8, how does these stand up against a 561?
    Youre thoughts are appreciated :smashin:

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The 561 is legacy and can't be upgraded. The 568 can be upgraded to a 568.2 but it is not cost effectve at about £700 so if you intend to go that route, you should look out for a 568.2 (or 568.2mm if you intend to go for the Meridian DVD players). The 568.2 is very close to the G68 in sound quality (take out the G68 room correction and with the 568v2.5 s/w it is probably on a par) and last time I looked was very good value for money - people didn' realise what the (.2) was buying themselves.

-Ian