1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meridian upgrade from hifi to home cinema help

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by surveyordog, Jan 1, 2005.

1. surveyordog

surveyordog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

My meridian system is about 5 years old now & consists of :

Meridian 551 integrated amp
    Meridian 506 CD
    Meridian 504 tuner
    2x ATC 7 towers. which sounds great with CD's

looking to upgrade into hime cinema either using existing kit with extra meridan kit or total change?

also have SONY 32" TV which intend to keep and use with a basic sony DVD player.

Any advice would be welcome.budget in the region of £5000

thanks

2. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    If you haven't already done so I would suggest you have a read through the Meridian users forum it may give you some ideas of which direction to upgrade.

www.softronix.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Meridian-III+(New)&number=3

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +673
    Depends what you want to spend?

I would look at used 568.2 units, still one of the best processors available at any price, plus it will match your 506 and 504.
    Oh and it will sound better than your current 551 on 2 channel material too.
    It may be an idea to sell your 506 and buy a 500MKII transport as the 568.2 digitizes everything and you should find the dacs in the processor beat the 506.

I know alot of people who have moved from the 500 series to the G series and been very happy with the livlier sound it produces, but also know alot who are not happy and prefer the smoother sound of the 500 series, some are even moving back.
    However if you need video switching etc. the G series will provide it where as the 568.2 is pretty useless on that side.

You will need to find a power to drive your ATC's with, I would definitely get an ATC to try and match as a centre, and then another pair for rears.

Unfortunately if you are used to Meridian and ATC combo, getting the same sort of sound in a multichannel world is not going to be cheap!! But worth it ;)

4. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Our surround sound system is Meridian

562V / 518 / 565-Z3 for the processing
    DSP5000C for the centre
    M20 fronts
    M3 rears
    M1500 subwoofer

all bought second hand or special offers for a total of £3.9K

Yes, it cost an arm and a leg, but when the brief from SWMBO is that "I want as good a sound from the AV as from the Linn tri-amp system" then it can't be done on a shoestring...and you've got Meridian driving ATCs (bows low in respect!) so you have an idea of the audio quality achievable.

So our system may be bettered by others, but you can feel the explosions throughout the house and as an example...."Black Hawk Down" is bl**dy frightening with the volume turned up!

There's a lot of Meridian kit out there in the S/H market....although the frenzy to get rid of the 500 series kit by people upgrading to the G series has tailed off. But, WTH, we both know it's good stuff...so go and buy some more!!!!

5. surveyordog

surveyordog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies, I'll certainly look into the options you all mention.

If you know of anyone selling 2nd/hand 500series please advise.

cheers