1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meridian Room Correction "WOW"

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by recruit, Feb 20, 2005.

1. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I spent nearly all day yesterday setting the G68 Processor up and was pulling my hair out as i could not get my USB laptop to work but had to drag my desktop PC into the lounge to get it configured via serial but i finally managed to do it though and just wanted to say i have never seen anything quite like it, it is so tweakable and every setting you can imagine can be altered Brilliant!!

Meridian Room Correction is Fantastic it takes a while for it to configure itself but the results are amazeing and to be honest i don't think i could do a better job manually it is spot on!!
    It is like my room is filled with perfect sound from every speaker and the sub sounds brilliant too.
    Meridian have really cracked it with this Room EQ!!! :thumbsup:

2. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    John - how different was the pre and post EQ sound ? I mean what kind of differences did the EQ make ?

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Damn it (this could cost me a lot of money). How much is one of these things again? What are the specs. for the EQ?

Glad you are enjoying it :)

[Edit - It looks like up to 60 filters which operate under 250 Hz]

4. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rags to be honest i didn't listen to it without it 1st as it took me ages to set the bugger up so i just went thru the setup and let the room EQ do it's thing but when i change the speakers over i will try it, but it sounds perfect as it is.
    I know from past experience that my room is not very good for the acoustics so with the Automatic setup it has done a very good job indeed.

Very Happy Chap indeed... :)

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dannel - the retail is £3600 so quite expensive but yes the Room EQ really works!!

Here is the specs

Cheers

6. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hrm. £3,600 isn't as bad as I was expecting. It still represents a lot of saving up though. What kind of discount can be negotiated on this stuff? I'm guessing not much.

7. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Daneel - quite a chunk can come off it if you know the right people.

8. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is not too much discount in it but i suppose it does depend on how friendly you are with you're local dealer ;)

Ok there can be some bargaining power though as Rags has pointed out.. :D

9. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    John,

How does it sweep from the sub to the speakers. I assume you set your crossover first and the Eq does its thing ? How different does your sub sound from the BFD days ?

10. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BFD whats that... :D no the BFD is a good bit of kit but the Meridian is way better as it is all automatic.
    You have to go thru quite a lengthy setup program 1st and get all the crossovers and levels right but it is all done graphically which is really cool and then once you have done that you connect you're SPL meter and use it as a Microphone and it does as series of sweep test tones which takes approx 20min to complete and once done thats it!!

The sub sounds excellent and i would say better it seems to intergrate more with the other speakers

11. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I was a sceptic too when Tag brought out TMREQ a year and a half ago, but as soon as I set up the EQ system in august 2003, its like night and day :) Welcome to the converted :thumbsup: I couldnthave a non EQ'd system again. :D

12. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thunder - i have only had it for 1 day running and it sounds superb already and i am sure that it will only get better once fully run in but to honest with the way the EQ works i will definitly not be going back to a NON EQ system.

Cheers

13. spinaltap

spinaltap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    What DSP's are connected to your G68?

14. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you mean speakers i am running the system with passive speakers driven by a Multichannel Amp.

15. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    As you know John I am really interested in one of these but its a bit annoying that those cheapskates from Meridian didnt include a mic with the package !

16. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rotfl: I know that is what i thought and i was looking in the box for hours trying to find it... :D

17. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I have to say using the mic in a £25 SPL meter doesn't sound like the best idea for a system of this level. I'd probably try to borrow something a bit more capable for setup.

18. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    Exactly my sentiments. It potentially leaves a lot of variability in the quality of the final result.

19. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    John Mulcahy and his team of engineers at Tag did a lot of research into the difference made by different mic's and meters and they came to the conclusion that when trying to measure the lower frequencies associated with room EQ that the good old radio shack SPL meter was just fine and that nothing more was needed :thumbsup: Or would provide a substantial improvement :smashin:

20. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Useing the SPL Meter seems logical as it is a very sensitive microphone that is used for calibrateing the sytem and as the results show very accurately done aswell :thumbsup:

21. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Is there any sort of review of who does the "best" room EQ available? I guess that the Meridian, Lexicon and TAG flavours are all different in their design. I have read Meridian's theories on their website which makes a lot of sense. Are the other 2 based on the same principles?

22. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I was under the impression that the standard £25 SPL meter was off by quite a bit and the errors had to be compensated for, that was what I did anyway when I was setting up my BFD. It gets worse the lower the frequency.

23. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I suppose Daneel thats where the Meridian DSP's come into play and there is 5 of them which does all the calculations for the correct settings it is basically like a very poweful computer.

24. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have never seen any such reviews but there must be something out there that shows the differences good or bad between them all...

25. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    recruit, the thing is, if you don't tell it what mic you have connected, how does it know what corrections to make?

I suppose it could be setup for the Radioshack standard SPL meter, but that would be somewhat limiting if you did get your hands on something more capable.

26. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very true Daneel but it's what Meridian Recommend if they were to offer a better alternative then i would use it but they don't.

27. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Sorry recruit, I'm like a dog with a bone sometimes. As long as it sounds good, which I'm sure it does, who cares!? :)

28. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sure Does... :)

29. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The way MRC works is not dependant on the quality of the mic. As long as you can get an input with adequate SNR and mic sensitivity with repeatable results, the MRC will work with the data just fine.

30. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Interesting thread. A lot of die-hard Meridian users have gone back to the 568.2 after being disappointed with the sound quality of the G68, reporting a lack of fluidity and a brighter sound than that of the 568.2.

Have you any experience of the 568.2 John (Recruit)? I only ask because you said you hadn't listened to the G68 without Room Correction.

Maybe the revelations you speak of are more to do with the excellent processing and DACs than the actual RC?