Meridian G98

AV Geeza

Established Member
Reaction score
I am on the verge of ordering a G98 but wondered if anyone could help me with the following;
The G98 has inputs for s-video and composite and outputs for component and HDMI.
Would I therefore be better off connecting all other sources (PS2, NTL Digital) through the G98 and then outputing via component to a plasma or by connecting the other sources directly to the screen?
I will be using the HDMI connection for a projector (not sure which pj though!).

Also would NTL going via G98 bring any lip-sync problems?

X3ELS? Gordon? Anyone?

TIA :smashin:

When I initially was going to get the G98, my idea was to connect everything to it and use it as an integral video processor (though had assumed it to have limitations).

ad

The way you have said to connect the G98 is spot on. The player is superb - picture and sound

The lip sink I don't know

Good luck!

Thanks guys :smashin:

wilcox, are you speaking from experience?

buns, why did you change your mind about the G98?

Well...

Elliot has reported to me that the HDMI out to at least one favoured projector resulted in a not right image.....Who knows if it was the G98 or the PJ.

Sage chipset used in G98 doesn't have as much of a frame buffer as some so lip sync may not be too much of an issue but it also depends on what you then send the output signal to as it may also add delay. Panasonic plasma's being classic examples of this.

Physically beautiful piece of kit!

Gordon

I decided against primarily because Meridian wont supply. They dont have anyone local that is a dealer and were totally useless as to finding a solution...... amazing seeing as i was virtually going to hand them the cash without questions asked!

In any case, ive gone an alternative route and getting an sdi arcam dv27 and lumagen visionHDP...... Im hopeful that this combination will be equally good value, and give additional possibilities with sky+ sdi.

all the best

ad

Thanks again guys.

Gordon, can you say which projector it was?

I will be connecting to a Fujitsu P42VHA30ES which uses panny glass but Fujitsu electronics I believe, so are lip-sync problems a distinct possibilty?

Not really an Arcam thread but I can't resist pointing out that all current Arcam DVD players have lip sync delay correction built in (user adjustable 0 - 150 msecs). The new DV79 has HDMI too.

John Dawson (Arcam)

I don't want to comment on what projector it was. A phone call to Elliot might get you the answer. I think HDMI is still in its infancy so you are going to get some little anomalies at first. Remember it might not be a DVD player issue as I have seen the fault Elliot saw exhibeted by a completely different pairing of two other DVD players and a DLP PJ.

Gordon

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom