Meridian G68 processor?

H

hifiman

Has any one tried the Meridian processer. The new G68 or even earlier ones?
Is this pretty much the best for the money?

I did think about the new Tag Mclaren but I'm not sure whats happening about the company.
I was going to also get a Krell showcase amp. Any comments there?

I'm currently using a G68. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's the best money can buy as these things are highly subjective.

However it is an excellent processor both with music and movies. It needs some care with set up to get the best out of it, for which you need to use a PC, but once up an running it performs very well.

Will

I currently have a G68, having upgraded from a 568.
Speaking from experience I find the 568 is a very good processor. And the G68 is an extremely good one.
For it's price I doubt you could find many others that are as good. Maybe 3 or 4, but that's it.

To me, one advantage of the G68 is that it makes CDs sound so good you never feel the need for DVD-A or SACD.
Another is that it is equally good with CDs as with DVDs.
If you have the chance, listen to one in your own set.

The audio group of Tag McLaren have been taken over.
See the TAG forum on this site, or: http://www.internationalaudiogroup.com/tma/

Regards
Mark

Thanks. Can I ask what amps you guys are useing?

Would you say this room correction thing works, or is just a gimmick?
I am looking for a lively detailed sound, so would the meridian be a good choice?
Which others would you suggest looking at? Lexicon MC8 seems a hot one.

My amps are 3x Meridian 505 monoblocks for L/C/R and a Parasound 1205a for sides/rears. They drive B&W 804N + HTM1 front/center and B&W CDM-1 sides/rears.

The sound is very detailed, but never aggressive or harsh (unless the recording is).
This is probably also dependent on your listening room. A few wall-hangings or book-cases in the right place can do wonders...

The change room correction makes is (again) influenced by your room. Don't expect wonders; in a boomy room you will not get supertight bass. But it does help get rid of some muddiness in the low-end.
Consider it as icing on the cake, not as the cake itself ;)

As alternatives I would suggest Lexicon as the most obvious, maybe also Bryston.
You could check out Parasound and Arcam; if you find you like their sound it will save you quite a bit of cash.

The main weakness of this processor is the lack of an adequate audio delay, this means you will likely have a lip sync issue if used with a projector or plasma screen.

I have Sonus Faber concertino and solo home, with a Rel Storm.
I don't know if you can think of a good match.
I may go for the Meridian or maybe Tag still.
For amps, and the sound I am after, what do you think between Bryston and Krell?
I thought these would be a class up from Para and Arcam.

The lip sync. Good point. Maybe this would be a s/w update??

Originally posted by Jeff
The main weakness of this processor is the lack of an adequate audio delay, this means you will likely have a lip sync issue if used with a projector or plasma screen.

It's only software though, so I see no reason that this won't be fixed if it's a problem.

Will

Jeff: I thought that too when I changed from my Denon 3803 to Meridian 561. I used to use 60ms for DVD and 100ms for freeview. I was sure I would need an outboard delay unit. But I have been using the max of 30ms without any noticeable lip sync issues for some time now. Either I used too much with the 3803, I am more tolerant of it, or 30ms on a 561 isn't 30ms on a 3803. *shrug*

Chris

You can get used to it and some people are more tolerant than others, 30ms is better than nothing but it's still not ideal.

Will, this is almost certainly a hardware issue. Don't expect a fix.

Jeff have a read of THIS regarding Meridian delay, this was my main concern as had bad lip synce befor I bought a Lexicon and had that set to 40ms, the Meridian only goes to 30ms but that seems to be too much.

If everything is perfect, which it rarely is, you are looking at a minimum 2 frame delay which for PAL is 40ms.

I know that, but I have a feeling that the delay is not right on Meridian, seems that when the display says 1ms on Merian gear it is probably nearer 1.5ms.

why dont i experience lipsync? As far as i know, I have nothing set to account for it either....

ad

What display and/or de-interlacer you using Ad ??

Try a HTPC if you want to really see it.

I think it is a h/w issue.
I read that to correct lip sync, you need a memory buffer to store the audio for the delay time required.

Has any one heard the Bryston 9 SST? I was thinking of that and Krell showcase. Some say the Krell is a bit harsh/dry?

I think that when you are looking at £4000+ processors you really need to listen to them.

Its not like buying a £500 cd player and regretting it and selling it on for £250, you may be selling it on at a £2000 loss if it is not right.

Where are you located, can you not get to hear one of these easily?

I was toying up between a Tag 32 and tag DP, then I heard them and went in a completely different direction with the meridian gear, I would have been gutted if I had bought them blind.

Myself & General Skanky did a Meridian G68 vs Arcam AV8 test at PJ Hifi (the thread should be on this forum somewhere entitled "mini event 2.......")

As someone said earlier in this test, at this level its all very subjective, don't bottle yourself in by only looking at a few, hear as many as you can.

Oh, someone said earlier that the Parasound/Arcam is at a lower level than the Meridian, I think that should be quantified "IMO".
I heard the Parasound last week and it is really superb, hear it if you can and it is also a very well made piece of equipment. As to the Arcam, well I canonly say it is great, but then I could be accused of bias ;)

But I must say that the Meridain is very good and certainly the best looking piece of equipment out there
Regards
John

hifiman,
I have the 9BSST and I think its excellent! :smashin:
It has amazing deep but controlled bass and is very detailed without being harsh.
I do think you need to audition the pieces of kit together if possible.

The Krell maybe a good match for your Sonus Fabers as I know that the two brands are often sold hand in hand.
I have owned two Krell amps, which I loved, but do think the 9BSST is a cut above those. Please note that I have not heard the Showcase so can't comment on its sonic ability but I have yet to hear a Krell amp that I didn't like.

Let your ears be the judge!

I heard the Krell Showcase and thought it sounded pretty damn good, with excellent pace, but a sound which was not harsh. I also liked the Bryston SP1.7/9BSST, which has the tightest bass and an overall balance which was just a little forward for me.
IMO these are both a way ahead of the Arcam, which didn't satisfy me for music, although this in turn was better than the TAG which to me presented loads of separate detail, with no sense of it cohering into a musical experience.
Never got round to the Meridian, but rather put off by the lack of a true analogue pass through.

If it is at all possible, try and get a demo of as many processors with one consistant set of speakers and amplifier. This was the hardest thing thing to do, I found, when I was looking at various options of pre/pro.
Ideally, we could all test the equipment at home, but with so many options, it's virtually impossible. So take some of your favourite pieces of music and film to a good dealership and arrange for him to give you a demo.
I auditioned the G68 and found it to be an exceptional pre, but all of the processors mentioned above are fantastic!

Good luck!!

Originally posted by Peter Baker
Never got round to the Meridian, but rather put off by the lack of a true analogue pass through.
Don't let this stop you from considering Meridian.
In my opinion the gain from having time alignment and bass management outweighs the (possible) degradation you get from the A/D - D/A conversion.

BTW. The 'lower level' remark about Parasound/Arcam was about price level, not quality. Not having heard their latest products I'm won't make a value judgement.

Thanks guys. I am currently working in Saudi Arabia for my sins, so it is ver hard listening to stuff.
I am pretty much sold on the Krell showcase though.
I had read that the Meridian stuff has a slow sort of laid back sound. Is this true? I am looking for a detailed dynamic sound.
Any thought on processors like Lexicon MC8 or the Krell showcase?

I tried a few of them before making my decision (Bryston SP1.7, Lexicon MC8, Rotel 1098, Arcam AV8 included but not the Meridian or the Krell) but ended up with the Parasound C2 an A51 Power amp. I liked the Lexicon MC8 a lot but on cost and to a lesser degree aesthetic grounds went with the C2. For movies it had the measure of most of the other processors out there - some of suprisingly them by a significant margin. The Bryston SP1.7 simply does not cut the mustard as a surround sound processor costing around £5k and is seriously in need of an update (imho of course).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom