• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Meridian G57 power amp

RealTelstar

Established Member
I have found by chance a good deal for this amp and I'm seriously considering it.
I have auditioned several power amps in my setup or not and none possessed all the qualities that I was looking for.
First and foremost, i like how my chain sounds -it took me several months to build, and I am sure the weak link is the amplification, in particular the power amp.

For what i have read, the G57 should possess several qualities that matche with my needs and tastes:

- warm but transparent sound (I find budget to mid level tubes to be muddy). I generally like the sound of meridian cd-players, altough i find them a little dark.
- lots of power and control (the second is particularly important for my speakers)
- airy (has been compared to YBA, which was one of my choices, but i couldnt audition one and lost the deal)
- bi-wiring (a cherry on the cake, i will give it another try)

I am afraid that the sound could be too dark or not refined (I want LESS grain).

The rest of the system is composed of:
Source: Teac vrds 10SE (as transport), Muse model two (DAC)
Amplification: Classé CAP-100
Cables: Siltech G5 m88 (rca), Kubala-Sosna Fascination (loudspeakers),
Speakers: Linn AV5140 (on soundcare spikes)

Any opinions are welcome

Last edited:

Mr_Sukebe

Established Member
From experience, the only real way to see how well it will fair in your system is to actually try it.

dpaws

Standard Member
I have found by chance a good deal for this amp and I'm seriously considering it.
I have auditioned several power amps in my setup or not and none possessed all the qualities that I was looking for.
First and foremost, i like how my chain sounds -it took me several months to build, and I am sure the weak link is the amplification, in particular the power amp.

For what i have read, the G57 should possess several qualities that matche with my needs and tastes:

Any opinions are welcome

As I understand it the Meridian amps are based on the B&O ICE modules, modified to what extent I don't know - see Bel Canto reviews for an idea of the flavour....

I think I understand what you're looking for - try Ayre, Spendor, Pass, Vitus SS010 or even Linn Klimax Twin. Ayre V-Xe could be the one depending on budgets

pcavelle

Established Member
Not entirely sure that last statement is correct. Some of the receivers and newer 8 channel amps use Hypex modules, not Icepower, but I am pretty sure the G57 is normal analogue - apologies to the last poster if i've got this wriong!

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom