1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meridian DAC

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by BazH, May 7, 2004.

1. BazH

BazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would it be a worthwhile upgrade for an Arcam CD72 if i was to obtain a meridian 203 DAC or should i save my cash?

TIA

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    If it were me I would save my pennies dudes, not by much though for £300 – 450 you can buy some very well regarded DACs that are a step up from the 203. Perp Tech P3A, TAG DAC 20, MF A3.24, CAL Labs, Micromega there are loads FWIW Ive read of 2 users with CD72s that have tried DAC I can recall, one tried a 203 funnily enough and liked the 203, another audio user I know had a CD72 and did a A/B comparsion with this system : Sony DVP-NS305 DVD Player / Rotel RDP-980 DAC and kept the DAC and sold the CD72. The Rotel DAC IIRC was £200 off Ebay :

http://photos.imageevent.com/sidandcoke/sidshifi/websize/digi front end.JPG

FWIW the chap in question above with the Rotel 980 DAC sure does know his onions in audio terms IMHO.

http://imageevent.com/sidandcoke

And he uses a cheapo DVD-V player that apparently cant read the information off a CD properly . :rolleyes:

HTHs

3. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,192
    Just to frustrate CJ, i would agree with him on this. :D The 203 is too old tech wise to give the sort of improvements you would want. If you can get an MF A3.24 for around £300 though you would be lucky indeed!! The RDP's a good bet at a better price. I would refer to CJ on this, but a DPA bigger bit might also be a more sophisticated bet, but still a little dated.

4. BazH

BazH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good stuff guys, Cheers:cool: