Meridian 598 + Denon AVC-A1SR

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by ColinII, Apr 29, 2003.

1. ColinII

ColinII
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After endless auditioning I am very impressed by this Denon + Meridian combination (to be paired with Monitor Audio GR speakers and Panasonic Plasma).

The DVD was excellent (better than the Denon DVD A1) and the CD output (as important as DVD to me) was outstanding.

However, the Meridian is a lot more than I had intended to pay on a source (I was going for ex Dem Arcam CD92 + Denon 2800 MkII)

The Denon + Meridian does not seem to be an expected combination. I would much apreciate people's opinions before I go back for what I am hoping is the last audition.

2. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167

Now then Colin....The 598 is indeed a classy disc spinner & to ring every last drop of quality out of it, ideally, you'd partner it with a Meridian processor (Not everyone has Meridian processor £££'s)

You'd be missing out on it's Digital Link DVD-A replay (stunning with correctly mastered/engineered disc). You'd be missing out on it's proprietry MHR (Meridian High Resolution) audio transfer system (Only used in a Meridian environment > like DVD to Processor) & SACD as well.

However, it is one of the best DVD players for CD replay & it gives a superb picture.....It's a question of is this the right source for your proposed setup?..

Note my comments above about 'ring every last drop'....

What 'version' of the 598 would you buy?
    (BNC Component, SCART, Progressive BNC, Analogue pre-outs for DVD-A?....)

3. ColinII

ColinII
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Meridian Processor++ world is beyond me I'm afraid. So as you mention I would not be ringing every last drop out of the 598.

The Meridian certainly did put on an impressive show with CD and DVD with this setup.... But can it beeten for the £3K price tag?

I reckon I would go for a 598 with progressive component output and the digital coax with multichannel analog output.

4. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    This is the crux really Colin.
    Other players around the 3K mark shouldn't be ruled out:

TAG DVD32FLR

LEXICON RT-10 (Do-it-all-machine)

Yet, like the Meridian, the TAG will be better when partnered with it's processor (sync link for low jitter)

Maybe an audition of Arcams new stuff (DV88+ DV89 etc) might be advisable, as they dont (as yet) have the integration with their processors like Meridian & TAG do.

I own a 596 & 568.2 so i can take advantage of the DVD/Processor integration......

The Video/Audio quality of the 598 is excellent.

Over-to-you Colin:eek: :D

Adz