1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

meridian 596 vs currebt crop ??

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Lighty, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Lighty

Lighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    hi guys

the 596 for sale on this forum looks tempting......but how does it compare to the latest players?
    are some/all prog scan?

i've considered Arcam 88+ or a 27 and also a denon A1.
    i have an A1SR amp but it's only v1 of the denon link - hayden don't seem that helpful re upgrading it - phone calls etc

the A1 seems the logical choice but any help would be appreciated!

i have a DLP projector so prog scan would be very nice - my pioneer 737 does an excellent job at present but i'm itching ti upgrade !!

thanks

sean

2. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    What do you want to know exactly? I had an interlaced 596 & swapped for a progressive 598. No real difference if the deinterlacer in your projector or plasma is good enough. I used my players with a Toshiba MT8 so the progressive issue is largely irrelevant.

Besides, all the 5 series are about to be replaced by the far sexier G series, which have upconversion to DVi, amongst other goodies.

Having said all of that, the 596/598 (same machine really, despite progressive scan) is the best DVD player I've owned by a mile, and they are great on music too. If you're display has DVi you're best off going for a DVi equipped DVD player; to some extent progressive is yesterdays news, imho.

But if you can get a 596 cheap then go for it...

Regards

Paul

3. Jackass

Jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    I'd wait for the Denon A11 all format DVI machine.

It does DVD Video, DVD Audio and SACD and has Faraudja scaling out of the DVI port complete with dual 12 bit, 216 Mhz chips!

See here

Can't wait!

4. Lighty

Lighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    hmmm

still pondering.......
    i have a sim ht200dm - b4 the farouja so.......
    my ageing pioneer 737 still looks good but as i said above i don't feel like sheeling out 2k for an A1 when i can't use denon link

picture quality is my main concern - the 596 is a few years old now but does it still rate highly
    hopefully i can still get the one of siluro!

cheers