1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meridian 596 "v" 506 & Pioneer dvd 737

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by The Duke, Oct 30, 2005.

1. The Duke

The Duke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Most of what I do is listening in stereo.
    Dvd play back is 2nd priority.
    Looking to make a change to my cd player, the Meridian 506 16 bit with a Trichord 3 upgrade.
    Maybe the 596 would fit the bill?
    I could sell on my Pioneer dvd player 737 too.
    Can I output the dvd play back from the 596 through my 5.1 av amp system for dvd and the cd playback via my stereo amp system?
    Anyone got any thoughts on the likely / unlikely improvement in stereo cd play back or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks

Tim

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I went from a standard 16 bit (it may have been 18 bit) 506 to 596 and the 596 was much better but I would have expected that. I soon upgraded to 598 spec though where DVD-A was sublime.

What I did not appreciate was that I am inherrintly lazy so I leave my last CD in the player (DVD's for some reason normally take out once I finished watching them). Thus, sharing CD and DVD in a single player came as a bit of a shock, until I got my squeezebox where I have 400 CD's on tap at the press of a few buttons.

If you don't already frequent the area, may be worth searching the unofficial Meridian website. You will find plenty of opinions there.

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    Yeah, read the thred regarding C-Cube mpeg decoders on there.
    You would be better speanding the money on a 508 cd player if I were you, your 737 will beat the 596 for picture quality IMHO.