1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meridian 568......Help !!

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Canoehq, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Canoehq

Canoehq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I have a Meridian 568 (not .2) on which I want to update the software to include DPL2. I have emailed the Meridian support site but for whatever reason, they haven't replied !!

Don't really have the cash to upgrade to a 568.2 (and then include DPL2, which can be done) so really need to know if the vanilla 568 can be software upgraded to include DPL2. Anyone know ?

If not, is it possible to somehow buy an external AV amp or processor, just for its DPL2 decoding and then run its output through the Meridian. OK, it may not be Meridian quality decoding, but would be better to have the decoding than not !

If so, any recommendations for the additional amp / decoder I should be looking for (is a cheapy one OK, as only using for decoding DPL2 ?) or what output feature do I look for when reviewing amps that might fit into this 'odd' set up.

Really big thanks for any help anyone can give me on this.

Cheers all

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    No you can't upgrade to PLII with the vanilla 568, but the PL on the 568 beats most processors PLII anyway so what is the point?

You would need to spend serious money to better what you have.

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    DPLII is available for the 568, DPLIIx (7 channel) is only available on the 568.2. The 568 V1.55 software is free on the Meridian web site and provide you with PLII processing.

To check which software you are running, press the display button with the 568 in standby. Do read the installation notes prior to upgrading incase there are some oddies that you should know about. If you have not done an upgrade before, make sure your PC serial interface is 100% reliable. Some PC's, notably laptops, may not work reliably with the Meridian interface. A USB to serial converter often fixes this - make sure you get one from somewhere offering a decent returns policy just incase it doesn't work.

-Ian

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    Doh !! sorry I was thinking PLII vs PLIIx, I'll get my coat!!

5. Canoehq

Canoehq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    Really big thanks for the advice guys and very kind of you to reply.

Cheers