1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meridian 568.2 - does it have an analogue bypass?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by NicolasB, Feb 12, 2003.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Just reading over the Meridian 568.2 specs again as I'm still considering some 2nd hand 568 options, and I noticed something interesting: not only does it not have a 5-channel analogue bypass (or even a 5-channel analogue input - they obviously want to lock you into using a Meridian player and buying their expensive MHR link if you want DVD Audio) but as far as I can tell it doesn't even have a two-channel analogue bypass. There is a two-channel playback mode called "Direct" but as far as I can tell the only difference between that and "Stereo" is that it doesn't use bass management - the full signal is sent to the front speakers and the sub isn't used. So even in "Direct" mode an anlogue input would be going through an extra ADC/DAC stage. The DACs in the 568.2 are pretty nice, so you'll get good results using an external transport and the digital input, but even so this is a surprising omission in a processor as new as this.

Or am I just wrong?

2. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nicolas,

I'm not too sure about 568.2 But 800 doesn't have analog bypass mode either. Even Mark Levinson No.40 doesn't! :D

3. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Darn. And here was me just about to buy a Mark Levinson number 40, too. :rotfl:

4. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Meridian push the use of digital big time.
    Hence the naming of 'Digital Surround Controller'.
    If you've ever browsed a Meridian catalogue, all you'll see is Bob Stuart chatting about digital music & lossless reproduction.
    In their 568.2 user manual, they advise to hook up your external digital (capable) sources to...........guess what?.....digital inputs.
    No doubt, if they could & you'd oblige, it'd be MHR Smart Link all the way.................

Direct mode sounds wiked for CD's

Adzman

5. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I saw an analog input option for those that don´t have Meridian DVDs...

6. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    Good point Antonio.....i was probably being a bit too biased as i have the 596, so it makes sense for me to hook up by SPDIF so i can use MHR on compatible discs....+ High Speed (upsample) stuff

Adzman

7. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Antonio,

There is a stereo analogue input, but not (AFAIK) a 5-channel analogue input. Also AFAIK there is no analogue bypass, i.e. if you do feed in an analogue signal it will have to be converted from analogue to digital and back again.