1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meridian 565 vs 568

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by C227, Jan 6, 2005.

1. C227

C227
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Im considering going all out and making a proper system.

I dont have a massive budget but Im thinking of going second hand and picking up much higher quailty equipment for reasonalbe cash.

So whats the difference between the 565 and 568? Is the 565 still alot better than what im going to get out of say a Denon/Yamaha £1000 all in one AMP?

Yes I know I will need power Amps.

2. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I would save up for the 568 or 568.2. It is much better than the 565 and from experience, if you got the 565, whilst it is a very good processor, you will always wish you bought better.

-Ian

3. C227

C227
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I can get the 565, fully upgraded to DTS for very very little money, Im talking less than a Denon Avr2805!

The price difference between the two is hence massive.

From what I understand the Meridian 565 with DTS is a lot lot better than some of the best all in one amps.

So talking from a "value for money" aspect, I think it might be worth it. I havent been impressed with alot of the Jap so called high end stuff irrespective of the biased media reviews.

I think the 565 + a set of decent power Amps with my mission 75 seires speakers will give quite a good result. The mission were always known to respond very well to high end gear.

4. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,736
    Wouldn't necessarily agree there. I was singularly unimpressed when I briefly owned a 565 (music was superb, but movies are my main concern so that was the main criteria on which it was judged in my eyes).

By contrast, I thought the Meridian 568 was superb, and though I hate the interface and styling, if I could afford one I'd go out and buy one tomorrow.

There is one huge price difference though obviously...

5. C227

C227
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The one thing Ive always noticed about hig end equipment (From Hifi days) that you have to get the correct source to make best use of it. If you use a bad source its just going to highlight this and it will sound aweful.

I remember using a cheap CD player with my Cyrus equipment and its soundd horrible, but then I used a Cyrus Discmastr and a Micromega Stage 6 CD player and it was superb.

IN the case of processors its important to get the right type power amps aswell.

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I would check out the specification for the DAC's between the 565 and 568. And since everything uses them, including direct/bypass mode, they will have a huge influence on the sound. Certainly pre DTS days, the DACs were, by 568 and todays standards, low resolution - I don't know whether the DTS upgrade changed the DACs.

Whilst the 565 Z3 (DTS version) was an excellent introduction to multichannel sound, I very quickly moved onto the 568. It would have been alot cheaper going straight to it rather than via the 565.

-Ian

7. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I am very pleased with the results I get fom my 565 (Z3 DTS version). In the context of using it as a stepping stone to bigger and better things I think it makes perfect sense to go for an older high quality processor like the 565, DC1, DC2 etc. You can build up high quality amps over time and then go for a top class processor like the 568.2, MC4 or C2 when funds allow. I decided I could do without ES, EX, PLIIx etc in exchange for really top notch DD and DTS, Meridian, Lex etc have their own versions like Trifield and Logic 7 anyway so you don't lose out as much as you initially think.

If I were to go out and buy a current high end processor and 7 channels of power I am looking at £7-10k for the likes of Halo, Lex, Meridian. The route I have taken has allowed me to build up one stage at a time using second hand and ex dem to source things at a large discount. While at the same time giving me what I believe is a better sounding system than the likes of the AX5, 3805 etc one box solutions.

2 years ago I started with a 2011, a year later I added the 565 and used the 2011 as a power amp, then I added stereo power amps until I could remove the 2011. This year I hope to replace the 565.

When the time comes to sell the 565 I will lose, but in context not that much.

Unlike Matt I find the 565 to be truly excellent with movies compared to using a Pioneer 2011 integrated as a processor, but as always ymmv as all our tastes, rooms, amps, speakers and hearing are different. The differences I found were not in the main soundtrack but in the suble background noises and effects, the 565 made it easier for me to hear them, once I knew they were there swapping back to the 2011 I could pick them out ok.

Angus

8. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I owned a 565 first which was good, then a 568 (1) which was excellent, and great as a preamp. The standard 568 on DD & DTS was a massive improvement on my upgraded-to-DD & DTS 565.

However, things do move on and now I think the latest decoders available improve on both Meridian units. I now use a Denon 3805 as a decoder (with different amps) and its performance on surround is, in my opinion, a big improvement over my Meridian 568 although not as good in stereo duties by a long way, so I have a separate stereo rig for this duty.

Solely my opinions of course, but I have owned all the units. I think it depends on whether you want to use a Meridian unit as a preamp and 'hub' to your music and av system, in which case it will definitely out perform a receiver on musical duties though not necessarily on surround.

Paul

9. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Buy a second hand 568.2 and install the v2.5 software, thereby upgrading it to PL2x and improving the sound, all round. The 568, even in .1 mode is better than the 565. The 568.2 has much more processing power and sounds better still than the 568.1. The free-to-download .25 software ups the ante still further.