meridian 565 or tag av32r for music mostly

I would of thought that the Meridian will be better for music than the Tag...

Dont get either, get a really good stereo pre amp :)

Having owned both I'd say Meridian all the way. Really didn't like the Tag (but equally it depends on equipment it's partnered with)

Well, i have a 565 but i'm finding it flat on music so was looking to upgrade/change and spotted a av32r on the forums for sale and i knew that they are well regarded so i thought that i would ask the question.b

You may well like the Tag then if you find the Meridian a bit flat...

The Tag is awful for music imho, I actually bought a AV32r as a stop gap and after a few days took it out of the system and put an old Arcam alpha 7 stereo amp in intead.
Good with films, if a little sharp sounding, but unlistenable with music. The 565/561 are a little flat with music too, but alot better than most av procesors.

I thought one of the Meridian stereo pre amps could be set up to work with their 565/561, you tell it you are using it to drive two channels and it has a unity gain so you dont have to mess around with the levels.
That may be worth looking into?

As a Tag owner,I think that it's only at it's best on music if you either have the 192kHZ DACs,or if you run the DACs at 96kHz or above using an upsampler(I've used a Perpetual Technologies P1A with very good results),but I would agree with Thunder's comment above that a good stereo preamp(and all the associated wiring hassles,yes)is best for music.....with that in mind I use an Audio Synthesis passive pre for music,and whilst an expensive solution,considering the price of the passive pre,it's been well worth the effort.

gizlaroc said:
The Tag is awful for music imho, I actually bought a AV32r as a stop gap and after a few days took it out of the system and put an old Arcam alpha 7 stereo amp in intead.
Good with films, if a little sharp sounding, but unlistenable with music. The 565/561 are a little flat with music too, but alot better than most av procesors.

I've always found the Tag very neutral sounding. It depends very much on what you have it partnered with and your room acoustics :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom