1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meridian 561 vs Tag Av32r-192

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by pidge22, Sep 25, 2004.

1. pidge22

pidge22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I am now the proud owner of a Tag Mclaren Dvdflr and I am absolutely delighted with it.
    My dilemnia is that do I now stick with my Meridian 561 processorI have or do I look to buy a Tag Av32r-192 and go down the Tag Dvd-Processor route.
    2 channel is a big priority for me and I don't want to sacrifice anything here albeit there seems to be benefits with the two together over timing etc
    The Meridian was always going to be a temporary option until I could get a Meridian 568.2 but I am now thinking an option could be the Av32r....any advice would be appreciated.
    Pidge22

2. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Pidge22:

I have owned both an AV32R-SP as well as an AV192R - in fact, I still have and love the AV192R. Although I am not a huge 2-channel fan I can honestly say that I have not a combination (i.e. DVD32R and AV32R/AV192R) that I prefer/thought was much better.

I readily that there are a number of other combinations - Lexicon RT-10/MC12, Meridian G series, etc.) - that also sound tremendous. At this level it is my view that the giverning factor is taste, integration and ergonomics.

In terms of integration and ergonomics you will not find better kit than TAG. I can honestly say that I had very mixed emotions when I first purchased the DVD32R/AV32R combination due to the $ involved... that immediately disappeared once I heard their capability and saw their integration.

In my view you should get, and would be exceptionally pleased, one of an AV32R-DP or AV192R.

Hope this helps.

Joel

3. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    As advised in previous thread, once you have TMREQ theres no going back :lesson:

4. pidge22

pidge22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Obviously this is the way to go and I wouldn't want to invest in a single channel if the dual pocessor with Tmreq is the way to go.
    I don't want to be upgradingfor a while.
    But where do I find a Av-32r bp-dp on the used or Xdemo market,does anyone know of a source ad what kind of price do thet fetch.
    Pidge22
    the other alrenative what is the upgrade path from the Av-32r 192 single channel and what are the costs involved?
    Thanks Pidge22

5. Welly123

Welly123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think I may have just sold you that FLR (if you are Paul....). Either way I'm glad that you're happy with it.

TMREQ makes a huge difference, I also listen to the majority of music using stereo (Direct mode with the AV192r) but occasionally use TMS 7 (seven channels) the Tag MacLaren Surround mode is excellent.

Regards

6. pidge22

pidge22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Russell,
    yes you did sell me the Dvdflr which I am very happy with thankyou.
    Its just a question now of buying the processor at the right price.
    Would you mind if I asked how much you paid for yours and where did you buy it from and which model is it.
    Pidge22 (aka Paul)

7. Welly123

Welly123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Paul,

I have the AV192r, fully loaded except for the scalar. I bought it from PJ HiFi in Guildford around one year ago, just as Tag suspended development. PJ gave me a great deal along with part-exchange for my AV32r, cost after PE was around £4k.

After a learning curve with TMREQ, I soon realised the benefits. The Wizard reduces the necessary learning curve considerably.

Regards

8. pidge22

pidge22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Rusell,
    thanks for coming back to me what did you think to the previous Av32r with the Dvd Flr,was it 96 or 192 Dacs.
    I probably will have to settle for this single processor with 192 Dacs until I can afford the dp version.
    I currently have a Meridian 561 which is good for 2 channel my only concern is that pprevious threads seem to favour Tag over Meridian for 2 channel.
    Would appreciate your feedback.
    Pail

9. Teejoo

Teejoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi,

If you buy the Tag processor (no matter which), you have the benefit of using the sync cable between processor and your DVD32FLR. This is a great improvement in the sonic image, certainly when listening to 2 channel music! I would go for a processor with the 192 dacs if the DP is not possible.

10. Joelc

Joelc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Excellent point... I neglected to mention the SyncLink as I have (obviously) taken it for granted. It does indeed provide a noticeable sonic difference. This last bit of information should surely put the TAG ahead of the Meridian for those who own a DVD32R/DVDFLR.

Many thanks for reminding me.

Joel

11. Welly123

Welly123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had the AV32r with 192kHz DACs and yes, it was very good with the FLR. However, the DP version gives TMREQ and as stated previously it makes the world of difference.

The Sync-link function is also not to be underestimated, there is a clear improvement and more so with the FLR versus the top-loader as the DVD32r has lower jitter anyway.

Regards

12. pidge22

pidge22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks Russell,
    I have decided to audition an Av32r-bp-192-7.1-Thx Ultra etc and probably buy it...and then upgrade to dp in the future.
    Pidge22

13. caleb

caleb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have the DVD flr with a AV32 7.1 SP processor.

My dealer here has been nagging me to upgrade to the 192, but the difference in price is the equivalent of 6000 pounds which I think is a bit expensive, (and thisis not even a fully loaded 192 at that).

I have not been able to have the benefits of TMREQ demonstrated in my own home environment so can only listen to those who have made the change.

Is there really 6000 quid's worth of differrrrence?

If anyone knows on a good used TAG delear in England, I visit frequently and could probably get a better deal over in England.

Thanks

14. christoph

christoph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    hi caleb

why not go for the av32r DP. this way you get the excellent TMREQ for much less than with the av192 (which has imho only advantages over the DP if you want to go for the scaler...)

regards christoph

15. pidge22

pidge22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I auditioned the Tag Av32r-bp-192-dp and was very impresssed with the Movie quality of sound,but 2 channel quality was very poor compared with my Meridian 561.
    The dealer could only audition with (B&W) speakers and an Arcam Fmj poweramp.
    I Have as B&W Nautilus and Parasound 2205a so I don't know what improvement if any I would have found on my own system.
    Fmreq was not set up and the Av32r was configured to the basic settings again I don't know how this would have improved 2 channel quality.
    So much to say I went allthe way to London from Nottingham to buy and came away very disapointed!!!
    So I must now consider a Meridian 568.2 or possibly a Halo c2 as the way forward.
    Pidge22

16. lenny

lenny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Pidge,

I honestly think that the dealer does not deserve the effort you've done to come all the way down to London. Simply, he has not been professional. Have you never tried to listen at a Meridian in basic settings and without using one of the main features of it? It would also sound like an empty pot! Anyway it's done, you miss a meaningful presentation. The other two alternatives you are envisaging are excellent; I hope you will find your nirvana.

Regards, Lenny

17. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Pidge22.

Can you confirm that both the TAG and Meridian were connected to the same setup at your demo session? If only the TAG was auditioned it would be very unwise to base a decision on it as there appears to be a world of difference between what you hear at home and what the "dealer" setup.....
    For what its worth I think the TAG performs better in stereo than the Meridian....

18. pidge22

pidge22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Graham,
    the demo session was with the Av32r,Dvd32r,Arcam 5 channel Fmj power amp,B7W 7 series speakers.
    My setup at home is as per my signature.
    I just felt the stereo was poor and took me back to my Denon 3803,2900 and Kef Egg days!
    Maybe if I got the Av32r back home in my setup with the Processor fully configured inc Fmreq then it would have sounded different.
    Unfortunately as it was an exdemo model I was buying the and dealer was not prepared to offer a 14 day refund so I could not take any chances.

Pidge22

19. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hiya.

You have answered your own question. How anyone can make a valid judgement on a system component when everything else used is inferior to your home setup is beyond me..... The AV32R/DP should be a step up from your current system in stereo and multichannel. If the dealer won't come to you, then take your Meridian to him.... I'll wager that too will sound horrid when nailed to that setup!

First rule of comparisions :- Make sure the only things that alter are the things your comparing......

20. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I tried a 561 in my home whilst looking around at things to upgrade my Denon 3802. I liked it on 2 channel stereo, but it was that laid back on 5.1 DD/DTS I thought the Denon out performed it (processing wise).

I then tried a AV32 BP 192. 2 channel stereo wasn't *quite* as musical as the 561, but it was a heck of a lot more transparent and the imaging is delicious :)

When I first got the AV32 I didn't like the DD/DTS sound of it, it just seemed too cluttered up for my ears, confusing, but at some point I can't pin down, it just "sounded great". Doesn't sound confising or over powering at all now.

For me the Tag wins over the 561 hands down. What the 568 sounds like, I ain't a clue! :)

Other gear in use:-
    Audiolab 8000 CDM
    Arcam DV88+
    Primaire 30.5 & 30.3 power amps
    Epos ES30 mains
    B&W CDM CNT centre
    Paradigm Servo 15 sub
    Eltax HT cheapy dipole surrounds :)

21. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Richard.
    "For me the Tag wins over the 561 hands down. What the 568 sounds like, I ain't a clue"

Nor should you care now, enjoy the TAG ;) BTW the 568 isn't that good either........
    What you hear is what comes off the disk with the TAG, once you hear a system like that there is no going back to all that artifically warm stuff.....

22. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Before TAG existed I heard an Audiolab system (8000Q + 2 x MX + 8000 CDM/DAX) (ok, might have the letters wrong) going through Epos ES22s which I fell in love with.

Been a long time, but I got there in the end. Sort of. Ish... :)

One thing I notice is that my system doesn't sound as open as the Audiolab system, even though I've got a fair amount of what I listened to (or higher spec) exactly. I suspect it was down to the demo room being built to size, living rooms, well, you just have to adapt to whatever the size is. Mine is 1.6 x longer than wide, the demo room was wider than long. And I ain't going to rip the fire out to change the room round :)