1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meridian 206B CD player upgrade dilemna

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Class A, Dec 22, 2004.

1. Class A

Class A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My trusty Meridian 206B is faltering after 12 years good service. It cost £995 back in 1992 but I aint got that sort of dosh any more. Does anyone think it's possible to upgrade it for £200-£300? Maybe a second-hand DAC bought off ebay in conjunction with a new budget player?

In the long term I want SACD, but the technology is in its infancy and presumably expensive. The consensus I've heard is that the budget SACD players sound naff compared to a good CD player. And I read somewhere that there's no interconnection standard yet for 24bit/96kHz digital data links and therefore no facility for feeding an SACD player's digital output into a standalone DAC. Is that still true? I'm not interested in multi-channel sound - it goes against the whole theory of sound imaging, i.e. the interference of sound waves radiating from two specific points, and what I've heard of it confirms this.

Any ideas? I couldn't face a sound inferior to my Meridian (and that's barely good enough, really). And if you're wondering what's wrong with it, there's a short pulse of mechanical noise on each rotation of the disc, sometimes quite loud in which case the whole box hangs up - have to turn it off and on at the mains. Opening and closing the drawer usually sorts it, if it will let you.

The rest of my system is John Linsley Hood Class A Amp / Audio Note Type Ks on high-mass (disc-prolapsing!) stands.

2. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I am not sure how much technology has really moved on for CD players but the only way to know what works for you is to get a home demo or trail.

I am no engineer but it might be worth opening up the box and giving everything a good clean.

The rest of your system is mouthwatering good :thumbsup:

3. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
  4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I wouldn't bother with SACD. All the rumours are that Sony have pulled the plug on the format to concentrate all their effort on blu-ray.

If you like the Meridian sound, 200 series components regularly come up on ebay and you could get a 500 series equivalent (506.24 or 508 would probably be best) for a little bit more than your budget.

-Ian

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +646
    I would agree with Ian, SACD doesn't seem to be going anywhere fast, and ebay seems to be the place to track down a new unit.

There are a couple of 506.24 players on there at the moment, and a 500 MkI Transport, although not as good as the later MKII it is still a very good transport and there are plenty of excellent dacs out there for very little money that would give you a great combination.

6. Class A

Class A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a relief that none of you reckon much to SACD! That makes things much simpler. It sounds like I need to do some serious browsing on ebay.

Question re 337GUS's answer: if I get a Meridian 263 DAC, Tag DAC20 or MF3.24, will that introduce the problem of jitter? Do these DACs have a clock output to feed back to the transport, and do transports have a clock input to sync up properly with the DAC?

I'm reluctant to ask Meridian for a quote for repair because I've carried out modifications to the electronics, changing bog-standard op-amps to top-spec audio ones and improving power supply decoupling. They might take a dim view of this!

Thanks for your help so far!

7. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You machine is so far out of warranty that M will probably not bother that you've done some mods. It's worth a call although I'd guess that spares aren't easy to get for the 206 (I still use one in my #2 setup BTW). The cost will probably be enough to make it not worthwhile....but I could be wrong.

Going down a DAC route is still going to leave you with the same glitches on the 206. I'd agree with Ian also and push the boat out a bit for 500 unit. The improvement will be there and assuming you liked the mods you did to the 206, you can look to tweak a 500 unit also. Many folks have changes clocks etc. to good effect.

Keep an eye on the sale boards.

8. ncpl

ncpl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  9. Class A

Class A

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Meridian 500's certainly don't come cheap, the 506.20 you've pointed out is £400.

There are some Roksans kicking about: Roksan Kandy CD Mk3 @£325 or Roksan Caspian CD @£349. How would these compare? I listen to mainly classical music including vocal, and I find my Meridian 206B can be a bit harsh at times on bowed strings, solo vocals and heavy orchestral passages.

10. L-J-T

L-J-T
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an Arcam Alpha 9 CD player for sale. Cost £799, now looking for £325 including delivery. Would you consider that?