Quantcast

Meridian 205's.

Steve.EX

Novice Member
I have a friend who is vaguely interested in a pair of these currently on eBay.
I have absolutely nothing to offer him by way of recommendation or otherwise.
I am aware of their being of some age.
Can any of the viewers at home shed any light on these. The first correct winner will go into a lucky draw for a copy of my latest greatest signed cd album: I need a life.

Steve.EX

Novice Member
Medley track listing:

We've only just begun
Stuck in the middle
Stuck in the middle
The final countdown
Now at the end

Bonus track:
I'm flying without wings.

:)

alexs2

Last time I came across a pair of these was a very long time ago,and really I wouldnt like to say any more than that they sounded nice at the time.

What he really should check is to see whether or not Meridian will still support them,as they do with quite a lot of their older gear,in case of things like capacitors needing replacing at some point.

filmman

i have a review from hi-fi news jan 1988,very positive,says they give a nice smooth refined sound.quite powerful 100w 8 ohms and 170w 4 ohms.

one point is that they have no on/off switch and so are meant to be left on all the time and switch on automatically on a signal. would check with meridian regards support,i had the previous 105 monoblocks a few years back and they still would service them.

filmman

hi
price new in 1988 was £790 a pair,would think due to their age about £200 for the pair . i had the older 105 monoblocks and i picked them up for £120.
the thing i would check is the power supply capacitors,they do suffer with age so look for any sign of leaking an oil like liquid.

Steve.EX

Novice Member
Thank-you.
I had indeed recommended to him that a service may be the order of the day.
Thanks for your efforts.

Regards

Steven

banman

I'm not steves friend - maybe bcos i dont know him... :)

but i have these on my watch list too. I'm hoping they will drive kef ref 3;s better than a rotel 985 mk2. any thougts?

cheers,
B.

filmman

banman said:
I'm not steves friend - maybe bcos i dont know him... :)

but i have these on my watch list too. I'm hoping they will drive kef ref 3;s better than a rotel 985 mk2. any thougts?

cheers,
B.
i would think they would drive them very well. i had the 105 monoblocks and they drove a kef thx package with ease.

Top Bottom