Mercury Music Award

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by insomniak123, Sep 5, 2007.

1. insomniak123

insomniak123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    The Klaxons?! Really?! If this is what new music in this country is about then I'll quite happily shoot myself in the head :suicide: than listen to any music ever again!

I think they're lacking something you need to make a good band - they cannot sing. at all. not even a little bit. every note is off. or play instruments with any real talent. and they're trying so very hard to get it right. is that really what count these days? I had the displeasure of seeing them live at Hyde Park earlier this year (on the BandStand stage - says it all, while bands like the White Stripes and Queens of The Stone Age were playing a real stage, they played on a bandstand surrounded by empty deckchairs :smashin: I've heard homeless men in the street with more talent. I'm being serious. Usually I mock bands that are copying others with no hope in hell of making a decent record, and accept that one of two tunes are catchy, but with the Klaxons I really cannot understand what's going on. What makes it worse is they're arrogant knobs too, in an interview on BBC they claim to have made the "most forward thinking record" - yet they wear stuff that adam ant would've been ashamed of and sound like cindy lauper after a heroin binge. very forward thinking :rolleyes:

Anyone care to enlighten me on the one thing that I'm so obviously missing?

2. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    There was a time when the Mercury Awards were the real awards given to innovative and outstanding artists compared to the Brits etc. But of recent including this one it seems that money seems to be pulling the strings rather than talent.

3. WithAnR

WithAnR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    :rotfl: Nothing worse than someone moaning about UK music then go onto talk about non-UK acts. Let alone comparing established acts from a completely different genre.

And yes I do own the Klaxons and yes I do think it is okay. Though I would of given it to Bat For Lashes whose album is ace :smashin: New Young Pony Club would of been my second choice only cos they sound too similar to CSS in places.

4. freero

freero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I couldn`t agree more, they are indeed the worst band i`ve heard in a very long time! Jo wiley played their live lounge session they did a while ago, and omg i`ve heard cat fights that were more in tune. Whenever I hear their 'music' playing I actually envy the deaf :suicide:

5. moby125

moby125

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I wouldn't worry too much, whoever wins the Mercury Music Prize get's condemmed to the musical version of Room 101. So this time next year they''ll be no-ones.

Who are they?

6. insomniak123

insomniak123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    how is there nothing worse than that?? I'm making the point that UK music at the moment is in a very very sad state, whereas bands from the US manage to make long established careers (White Stripes since 1999 at least, QOTSA since 1998) and still knock out cracking records, I can't remember the last UK act to form a similar history. I can bet my left ball that The Klaxons will not be headlining festivals in 10 years :lesson:

freero - the Live Lounge "Gold" ( :rotfl: ) is what set me off with this thread, i swear it was on radio 1 at least once a day this week, and it's as if she's saying "yeah, it really was that bad, go on I'll show you again so you can laugh some more"

7. pmc

pmc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    Muse. :thumbsup: But your right, they're ploughing a pretty lonely furrow.

8. soundstory

soundstory

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Well I'm sure many would argue, but it should have gone to Amy

Nobody has a voice like hers and of course she doesn't play the "forward Thinking" card.

I kinda like the Klaxons but their cover of It's Not Over Yet is just awful

9. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I do like Ms Whinehouse and now knowing that she was in the list would have liked her to win. Its funny that most of the people that I know cannot stand her especially a lot of teenagers including my children. Oh well different strokes...

10. insomniak123

insomniak123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    recently saw her live with the Arctic Monkeys at Lancashire Cricket Club, gotta saw I was impressed. Her voice is something else, live sets when it's just her singing to a quiet backing are somewhat haunting. Well good.

@PMC, you're right bout muse, never been a fan but I appreciate what they do, as a side note we've recorded some stuff with their ex-sound manager locally a few years back, he didn't like our stuff but then I didn't like theirs - mutually agreed that it was good stuff, just not each others cup of tea. again different strokes :smashin: tis what musics all about

11. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Agreed. In the sea of talentless indie trash, which is 'in' on both side of the Atlantic now, they rise up like an Island of real musical talent.

As for the Klaxons, like all of their ilk, the musos love them, so don't expect them to do the normal 'room 101', as someone so rightly put it.

12. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,520
    Just watched the recording. I completely agree. In my eyes, they might have pulled it off if they where a little more endearing (like the Scissor Sisters were until they became annoying). But the fact is they are just sneering and pretentious art students.

They are possibly one those bands that are not really great, but they are so confident and convinced they are the best thing ever, they manage to transfer that onto their fans - and we all know only a minority of people buy music based on musical ability.

They do have something about them though, you cant deny that, i can see why that would have a bit of a following (especially in the student scene), but they wont be around for long IMO. They are good, just not great - there was about 4 acts more deserving of the Mercury award (which dont forget once went to M People instead of Blur's Park Life, lol).

The whole "Nu Rave" thing is very odd anyway, as someone who experienced the real rave scene in all its glory in the late 80's and 90's, i can't see any connection or genuine references/influences at all.

13. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,238
    I watched about ten minutes and just couldn't stand anymore. I kept comparing the performances to Nirvana's-Smells like teen spirit. For Fs sake why dont they put some energy into the performances, they were all just so dull.

I have to say that I like Ms Winehouse, probably wouldn't buy an album but she has a really expressive voice. That is why she does not appeal to everyone IMO. If your from the younger generation brought up on the Macdee of music, then a big chunk of steak is far too chewy. The older generation dont like the swagger and the 'attitude' that is obvious in her voice and character. I think she is a proper rock star.

14. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,207
    Exactly Karkus. That's why I can't stand the whole indie thing. A lot of arrogant ex students trying to look bored while strumming away in exactly the same chords as the pioneers did (Smiths et al) in the 80's. Note for note.

This is it with Winehouse. She can sing, she has real presence, but in the 'consumer age' who wants 'good', 'character' and 'presence'. They'd rather have Lily Allen tweetling on with her sanitized reggae pop. And equally sanitized image. ;)

15. WithAnR

WithAnR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    If you read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Rave you will see that Klaxons don't count themselves as Nu Rave describing it as a "joke that’s got out of hand"

Am I the only one who hated Blur's Parklife? Not that I like M People much either. Looking through that year Prodigy should of won, or possibly Therapy?

I agree that I can't see the Klaxons continuing on much further unless they evolve but hey at least it is not some plodding Nickleback rock plod.

16. Autopilot

Autopilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,520
    That pretty much describes the Klaxons, period. :rotfl: