Mercedes SL350 or BMW 630i?

paul_doh

Novice Member
Hi, just wanted some of you guys thoughts on these two cars, looking at buying one, looking for under £29,000 if possible on a '03 plate or above, if anyone knows anything wrong with either cars? or how they drive? or maybe any other cars in the same category would be welcome. :thumbsup:

Thanks

Paul

Ian J

Banned
Those were two cars on my short list and I excluded the Beemer as I thought it likely to depreciate more so plumped for the SL350 instead.

I've only had mine for four days so can't give you a great deal of owner experience but I like it a lot so far. There are quite a lot of low mileage examples around as they were rich men's toys when they were new and didn't lead a hard life.

It seems churlish to talk about spec on a car that is so highly specced but Mercedes did manage to reduce the base price of the car for the 2004 model year by making some of the previously fitted items options.

Most were fitted with sat nav but not all and whilst it is now a very expensive looking option compared to an aftermarket Tom Tom it does make the car easier to sell on. I also looked for a car that had the telephone wiring in place as I wanted to use the completely integrated hands free telephone system rather than an aftermarket Parrot.

The other cars that I looked at were the bigger brother SL500 but couldn't find one in as nice condition as the 350 I eventually bought, the Maserati 4200 which was a great car and whilst I could have stomached the 17mpg I was put off by what must be poor quality Italian engineering as they need a new clutch every 7,500 to 12,000 miles (even the autos) and the cambelts changing every couple of years. The other car that I shortlisted was the Porsche 911 cabriolet but a test drive ruled that one out. The 911 and the 350SL may both be two seater convertibles but there the comparison ends. The Porsche is an out an out sports car with all that entails including a very firm ride and quite a lot of noise and whilst that may be ideal for some people I assumed that i would have found long distance motorway cruising to be tiring whereas I think that you could jump in the SL and drive down to Southern Spain without getting too tired.

Ian J

Banned
There's a nice SL350 here in black and only £29,950 for a 2004/04 with 24,000 miles but if you fancy an SL500 there is what seems to be rather a nice one here in silver and £29,450 for a 2003/53 with only 21,770 miles

There is no mention of satnav on the SL350 and unusually they haven't mentioned the service history either whilst the SL500 has full MBSH 18" AMG alloys, front and rear parking sensors, wind deflector and Nokia car kit which will together have all added a further few thousand to the original price.

I must admit that if I had spotted the silver car when I was looking a couple of weeks ago I would have bought it myself if it was as nice as they claim

Ian J

Banned
That is correct but when I was looking I didn't come across one at all as none of the ones I saw advertised seem to have this feature fitted.

paul_doh

Novice Member
Thanks for your help, i think i will go for the SL350 rather than the SL500 as the rise in petrol prices could cause it to become expensive, do you think that because they have released the new shaped SL that the old ones will come down in price quite soon?

Thanks

Paul

Ian J

Banned
I hope that prices don't drop too much as I've only had mine for less than a week.

I would have thought that whenever a new model comes out it is the newer second hand cars that suffer more.

DustySox

Novice Member
There's a nice SL350 here in black and only £29,950 for a 2004/04 with 24,000 miles but if you fancy an SL500 there is what seems to be rather a nice one here in silver and £29,450 for a 2003/53 with only 21,770 miles

There is no mention of satnav on the SL350 and unusually they haven't mentioned the service history either whilst the SL500 has full MBSH 18" AMG alloys, front and rear parking sensors, wind deflector and Nokia car kit which will together have all added a further few thousand to the original price.

I must admit that if I had spotted the silver car when I was looking a couple of weeks ago I would have bought it myself if it was as nice as they claim
Luvly looking car Ian,

I have a CLK430, and had it from new. Dropped like a brick on depreciation. It's now seven years old and I still love it. Something about a V8!!!

It has all the toys, Satnav, hands free phone etc. How much would I have to spend to replace it and still love it in another seven years.

Now back to your 350, hmmmm very nice. How many posts would I have to get to to get one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom