Mercedes or BMW - Buying used

BMW 3 series or Mercedes C-Class?

• Total voters

jaipal2004

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

currently have the family tank in the guise of a GL350 and loving it. Issue is it's cumbersome for local journeys and we've just gotten rid of the Mini Countryman ... absolutely horrid car and always prone to issues in my experience.

I'm torn between a Merc c-class 220d (Sport or AMG) or BMW 3 series (320i / 320d or 318d). Reading mixed reviews from other drivers with a fair few more saying the BMW is the better vehicle.

I am getting old now so want some luxury but having had Jap cars for many years previously would like a bit of an involving drive from time to time - either way both will be an improvement on the crappy Mini.

My budget is £10>14k, ideally want something that is 2014 or newer and is exempt from the Birmingham congestion charge - generally speaking that means diesels from 2015 onwards or most petrol cars from 2012 onwards. Mileage wise I am looking for something sub 70k. We're a family of 6 but generally no more than 5 venture out and we have the GL for family journeys - non of the kids need pushchairs etc so boot space isn't a deal breaker. Our two youngest ideally need child seats tho' so incabin space is a consideration.

As an aside, I've also looked at other marques - specifically Audi but they've not changed much from about 2010's till just recently and for my budget what you get looks very dated.

The budget I have throws up plenty of options but keen to hear from current and past drivers of the two above models - especially if you've had a chance to appraise both.

THanks

Jai

I've seen plenty of older BMW crap there oil out and die. Can't say the same for Mercedes.
I think reliability wise once you get out of warranty it is luck of the draw. I'd be looking at what has the better history (well looked after basically) unless of course you prefer one style to another.
You also have to remember all BMW drivers are idiots who don't like to indicate 🤣
Alternatively look at VW if you didn't like Audi (basically the same car). Because the Audi is the more "premium" brand you'll likely get a much better spec for your money with a VW. Something like this (minus the red leather, unless of course you like it)

Wow. What a nice comment. Lol
What comment? If it is regards to the indicator JOKE then you've clearly missed the emoji after the comment.

A BMW indicator joke…..? How original.

3 series, bmw have nailed it year on year, everyone else's benchmark

Depends what you are after when driving… but thumbs up for BMW 3 series. Great car to drive. Mercedes… imo unless it’s an e class+ Sports etc they have very cheap plastic inside… not great. I think they’ve lost their way since the old days.
High spec VW orSkoda could be options.
Something different..look at Alfa maybe… Whatever you choose don’t get something under powdered. Large cars need a bit of power under the hood.

I’ll just add that all the raving reviews you have read about these cars are generally cars that are fully specced out with the larger engines.
Buying an expensive car without all these great options might leave you feeling like the car is no better than a cheaper car. Certain options can really make a car shine but as with everything it comes down to the end user and what they want/expect from it. Have fun choosing! :smashin:

Last edited:
I would really test drive the Mercedes’ 220d engine. I’m no fan, felt like Fred flintstone trying to get it to move. But it may be to your liking.

Thanks for all the input guys :)

I still have the c-class on my list but in light of the above and some other stuff I've read possibly veering towards the BMW's.

I've got a 325D GT on the short-list and a 318D GT - the 318 is slightly better spec'd (LED headlights and DRL's and heated seats) but it's the smaller lump. Quite fancy the 325D GT for some extra poke and space but that has the non-LED type lights and no heated seats ...... not sure if I should go for smaller engine but better spec or better engine and lower spec!

I can think of worst choices to have but I'm getting older now so creature comforts to figure in all of this.

I suspect one thing I should've mentioned amongst all of this is I would favour a manual gearbox - purely because I'm worried that I'll get rusty driving manuals if I don't have one as a daily driver. The daily driver will be used for school runs which involve a small element of motorway but mainly backstreets and a-road so I can see why an auto would possibly be the better choice, especially in light of some people saying the BMW auto's are nice.

Can somebody decide for me? :D

This was the 325D gt: BMW 3 SERIES GT 325d M Sport For Sale At Motordepot.co.uk

The c-class: 2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class C220 Bluetec Sport £12,995

The 318D GT: 2017 BMW 3 Series 318d M Sport Gran Turismo £14,980

I would test drive the 318d and if you like it go for that one. Not only well specified it’s also ulez compliant and to me the nicer car. But its your choice so get what you like.

I would test drive the 318d and if you like it go for that one. Not only well specified it’s also ulez compliant and to me the nicer car. But its your choice so get what you like.
Thanks mate - I checked the 325GT through the charging zone checker and that's also free to taking into Birm and London zones

Thanks mate - I checked the 325GT through the charging zone checker and that's also free to taking into Birm and London zones
Nice. It’s the lights for me though. I really wouldn’t like those headlights anymore. I’d rather hold out for another one to come on the market with the proper bmw led headlights.

Nice. It’s the lights for me though. I really wouldn’t like those headlights anymore. I’d rather hold out for another one to come on the market with the proper bmw led headlights.
Yeah I am thinking the same. The mini I had was ‘only’ a 1.6 so I guess the 318 is work’able for me … doesn’t have to be a meatier engine

I’d never go back to a manual.. Current car is auto and that’s turned me. Just two peddles .. simples… makes my life that much easier :love:... yes I may stall the work van once in a while until I get used to it again but that’s a small price to pay… and also makes me miss my auto even more.
If you’re not too bothered about engine size/engine sound then it’s all about the extras on offer. Love that blue. :smashin:

No to the 318d and No to manual so no to the 325d. Looks just the headlights the 318 has over the 325. Neither have heated seats and the 318 only has rear parking sensors.

Ignore this on the 325 also, "Electrically Adjustable Front Seats" it doesn't have electric memory seats, the only thing electric about them is the inflatable bolsters.

In fact the only optional extra the 318 has is the paint. It's an LCi so has the upgraded lights front and back as standard.

Last edited:
I would say do not discount the 4 series, I went from a petrol 320i to a petrol 420i gran coupe to avoid a daily ulez charge. Admittedly the 4 series is a 67 plate (a few years newer than you were interest in) but there were no 3 series in a similar price range at the beginning of September 2021.

No to the 318d and No to manual so no to the 325d. Looks just the headlights the 318 has over the 325. Neither have heated seats and the 318 only has rear parking sensors.

Ignore this on the 325 also, "Electrically Adjustable Front Seats" it doesn't have electric memory seats, the only thing electric about them is the inflatable bolsters.

In fact the only optional extra the 318 has is the paint. It's an LCi so has the upgraded lights front and back as standard.

Keen to hear why the "no's" to the 318d and the manual please. I totally missed the lack of heated seats .... seen so many I've gotten blurry eyes :D

Just looked at the spec of my crappy 1.6 Countryman S Mini and that had 180 odd BHP allegedly and some pretty decent torque.... more than the 318D !

330d with the smooth straight six, heated seats, LED headlights, etc.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
There are a few 330d of 2015/2016 in white / silver with dark interiors.

Keen to hear why the "no's" to the 318d and the manual please. I totally missed the lack of heated seats .... seen so many I've gotten blurry eyes :D
Before we got our F11 520d B47 manual I had an E92 320d N47 manual and test drove a F30 318d B47, it felt very under powered with no top end, almost like the revs and power just cut off where the 20d keeps pulling.
The ZF8 auto is just a really good match for the BMW diesels, mpg suffers in the manual, never saw over 40mpg in the 520d.
Last 2 BMWs have been auto and after saying for years I'd never have an auto I won't go back now to manual for the daily car.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom