Mercedes or BMW - Buying used

BMW 3 series or Mercedes C-Class?

• Total voters

un1eash

Distinguished Member
Mileage and being the N47 engine would put me off this one. Not saying it won't be perfectly fine but I had issues with my N47 320d which resulted in timing chains being replaced under AUC warranty at 80k miles.

jaipal2004

Mileage and being the N47 engine would put me off this one. Not saying it won't be perfectly fine but I had issues with my N47 320d which resulted in timing chains being replaced under AUC warranty at 80k miles.
Thanks mate. Not familiar with the issues on these engines - might have to do some googling. If you had to choose between the two it would be the previous 318D 2017 begrudgingly ?

jaipal2004

May call the dealer and see if they have had it done / will get it done. Typing in ‘n47 timing chain’ brings up a lot of failures from 80-90k mileage 😳

mjn

Distinguished Member
May call the dealer and see if they have had it done / will get it done. Typing in ‘n47 timing chain’ brings up a lot of failures from 80-90k mileage 😳
Go for the N57 engine. No issues then.

mjn

Distinguished Member

mjn

Distinguished Member

un1eash

Distinguished Member
There’s a b47 engine in the 320d from 2014 onwards
B47 wasn't introduced till late 2015 around the time of the LCi facelift. On a 320d you can tell if it's a B47 as it'll have twin exhaust pipes(this doesn't apply for the 318d).

Last edited:

jaipal2004

B47 wasn't introduced till late 2015 around the time of the Lack facelift. On a 320d you can tell if it's a B47 as it'll have twin exhaust pipes(this doesn't apply for the 318d).

thanks mate -will keep an eye out.

Saw a 330D GT too but awaiting pics. Reminds me of buying tech - there's always something better around the corner!

LexDiamond

The 3 litre 6 cylinder BMW engine of that era is, IMHO, a class above anything else available in similar cars. Well worth a look if you can find something suitable for your needs in a 30d or a 35d.

Thug

I have a 2016 E class 350d AMG convertible and love it. I paid £16,000 July 2020 with 46,000 on the clock, so £14,000 now is definitely possible for a none soft top.
But its not without its issues.

Things i love...
its convertible (i know you are not wanting a soft top, but i like it),
love the look of it,
has intelligent LED lights which basically adjust themselves depending on road conditions. For instance, keep full beam on and if you approach a car from the rear the lights dip to just below the other cars tail lights. Or if a car is coming towards you the lights will move to the nearside. Its a fantastic idea. This video isn't mine, but shows it in action

It has 360 camera
It has auto parking (never used it yet, except once to try it)
Harman Kardon stereo (or as my friend calls it Karman Hardon)
The performance
Keyless entry and start

Things i dislike...
It rattles. I seem to have some plastic rattling behind the dash somewhere which is driving me mad. I shouldn't expect this from a premium brand, let alone one thats only 5 years old.
For the engine size it should have more power. Unless its in sport mode it has a delay when you press the accelerator from standing, which is a little unnerving when you pull out from a junction with your foot hard down and nothing happens for a second or 3.
Fuel economy is worse than my previous car at an average of about 31mpg (Jaguar XE 2ltr was about 54mpg), but i expected this being a 3ltr.
There is nowhere to put your phone except the centre console arm rest or glovebox.

Other considerations you might like are...
Jaguar XE - This has a great phone app for around £20 per year where you can track your car, see loads of info about each journey, remotely start your car (great in winter starting it up so its all defrosted and warm when you get in), get warnings (like low washer fluid, brake wear, lights out, etc) sent to your phone.
Lexus - I had the RX400 (hybrid) which was thirsty, but had every conceivable toy you could think of as standard (where other premium brands charge for every little thing). It felt more luxurious compared to the Merc.

jaipal2004

Just way of update..... managed to find a 2015 (Oct 2015 so think it's LCI) 330D GT

Touch higher on mileage at 75k but fully spec'd with camera, sensors, M sport etc

Had some pics but have yet to go and check it out in the flesh.

Thanks for all the inputs from all :)

mjn

Distinguished Member
Can’t beat a BMW straight 6 diesel engine. 300BHP / 450ft / lbs torque, yet will still return ~40MPG.

jaipal2004

Been a while since I had those figures available a mere pedal away. Looking forward to it although will have to get used to it having had AWD vehicles for a lot of my driving life (Imprezas, Quattro's, etc)

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom