Mercedes GLC Coupe

SavorettiMoretti

Established Member
Reaction score
Popped into Mercedes today to have a look at the GLC Coupe (the wife has wanted a 4x4 for ages now), both of us being car mad we've had our last 5 cars on PCP as we swop them so often it just makes sense, also having a good friend who works at the local dealership is always helpful.

I've currently got a 1 year old CLA and the wife also has a 1 year old A Class, well not anymore, the CLA was the victim this time and got chopped in for the GLC Coupe.

Can't wait for it to arrive on 1st March, it's so much better quality than the CLA, for me the CLA is the best looking coupe/saloon out there the cheapness of the interior just let it down.

Has anyone else got a GLC Coupe? Anything to look out for?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 19.50.27.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 19.50.27.png
    989.2 KB · Views: 465
I've got a GLC43 fantastic car but educate yourself about the crabbing issue.

Lots of us owners are in a big battle with Mercedes with ongoing claims with the motoring ombudsman.

I love it in every other aspect but if I knew it beforehand I wouldn't have bought one.

What's crabbing? Appreciate sideways movement but how / when?

I've heard about this. It's not due until 1st march so may pop in and check it out

Are Mercedes's sorting this out for people? Is it only on certain models/wheel combinations.

So far it seems to be all RHD GLC models regardless of trim level and wheels tyres.

Mercedes is dragging their heels and call it a comfort issue not a safety issue. They are refusing rejects as well despite ombudsman involvement.

Sounds like a drive-shaft issue (assuming it is indeed 4wd - obviously there won't be front drive-shafts if it's rwd) - either drive-shaft wind-up, under-engineered CV joints or just poor steering geometry/assembly/set-up.

I've found M-B no better than any other mfr with regard to this, the "they all do that sir" attitude.

Hope you get it fixed:).

Yes that was my initial reaction as well. It reminds me of the old skool 4wd I had and when I left it in High gearing on non slippery surface. Extremely disappointing as I went on my experience with my previous GL Class which was absolutely fantastic.

Mercedes just keeps on repeating that I and all the other owners need to buy winter tyres ;)

The one I've ordered has the smaller wheels, with I guess a larger tyre wall. Wonder if this will make a difference

No makes no difference. All of them are affected. Best to budget winter tyres or ask Mercedes to put in the deal as without it you will get this.

Pistonheads reviewed the E43 Estate and that one is affected as well. And I also know of C 4matic that have been affected.

Seriously bud discuss it now with your dealer and watch their response as once you've taken delivery you have no more power.

I noticed this on my S5 Quattro to a certain degree, I think it was called 'axel hopping'. Only appears to happen in cold weather in reverse on full lock,when leaving my driveway.

Something to do with 4 wheel drive and different profile tyres, are two excuses I've heard. It's no way as bad as the GLC in your video though @dejongj

Yes I've sometimes under extreme conditions had this in my Audi A4 Quattro as well. But only like in a cold multi storey car park with a slightly damp floor under full lock.

I understand a little of the mechanics and that you can't 100% eliminate it. But it is the extend to which these cars do it. I noticed it on day 2 of ownership. Temperature was 13.5 degrees, I remember as I was looking for ground frost. It is very persistent, every time you take a corner, park up, leave the car park. It is embarrassing. People point at you and not because it is a nice car ;)

So be warned; step into this with your eyes open and deal with it prior to taking possession. Mercedes and their dealers are closing up big time. They even refuse to investigate.

Yes I've sometimes under extreme conditions had this in my Audi A4 Quattro as well. But only like in a cold multi storey car park with a slightly damp floor under full lock.

I understand a little of the mechanics and that you can't 100% eliminate it. But it is the extend to which these cars do it. I noticed it on day 2 of ownership. Temperature was 13.5 degrees, I remember as I was looking for ground frost. It is very persistent, every time you take a corner, park up, leave the car park. It is embarrassing. People point at you and not because it is a nice car ;)

So be warned; step into this with your eyes open and deal with it prior to taking possession. Mercedes and their dealers are closing up big time. They even refuse to investigate.
Thanks for the confirmation I wasn't imagining it in my car, I'm not mechanically minded but kinda drew a comparison between the two descriptions. Your conditions in the Audi match mine, in that once all 4 tyres are pointing in the same direction there is zero 'hop'.

I do like Mercedes, having bought 3 non 4matic models in the past and will be mindful now if I decide to go back this year.

Spoke to the sales manager (over email) who happens to be a good friend of mine. He assured me it's not going to affect my model, it's mainly on the cars with the larger alloys. At least I've got something in writing now.

I'd be wary with a explanation like that from any dealer (mainly on cars with the larger alloys!) but seeing as he's a good friend of yours it's obviously different.

Spoke to the sales manager (over email) who happens to be a good friend of mine. He assured me it's not going to affect my model, it's mainly on the cars with the larger alloys. At least I've got something in writing now.
This will be a test of that friendship ;)

Mercedes tyre 'skipping' - official statement | PistonHeads
Mercedes-Benz refuses to fix crabbing problem on GLC and GLC Coupe
Mercedes Dealer Refuses to Accept Ruling of Motor Ombudsman over GLC Crabbing Issue

Seriously buddy, good luck with it. You've been warned. A further website went live last night where the owners affected are slowly getting together and are getting the facts of the vehicle variations together. From what I've seen, ALL RHD models regardless of variation and wheel/tyre size are affected.

Mercedes Crabbing Join The Register - Mercedes Crabbing

Data is being collected but as a prospective buyer I'd keep an eye on it.

Mercedes are absolute ****'s when it comes to listening to customers . That's why I would never buy a merc again after the issues I had with my c class a few years ago.

Mercedes are absolute ****'s when it comes to listening to customers . That's why I would never buy a merc again after the issues I had with my c class a few years ago.
It is with regret that I have to agree with you. I've had plenty of trouble free motoring years with Mercedes and loved the vehicle(s). I had all confidence that they would just resolve it and deal with it like they've done over all those years. But unfortunately their attitude is one of not caring at all, and accepting a comfort issue as normal.

Issues happen, no problem with that at all. But when it comes to resolving them, that is when you find out how good they are. And Mercedes unfortunately just doesn't want to know.

Dealers are refusing a rejection, even when getting the ombudsman involved. Information is now emerging that new customers are asked to sign a waiver that they've been made aware of this 'characteristic'. I'm trying to get my hand on a copy of it. Unfortunately we were never given the choice to walk away from it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom