Merc C Class Coupe - £7k dealer contribution

sheriffwoody

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, i believe Merc have a new shape/style/facelift C Class coming out soon, and because of this you an currently get a brand new C180 coupe, £30,610 OTR with £3k down from yourself, Merc put in £7,581 as a deposit contribution.

This all means you get a brand new C180 for £299 a month for 3 years then a £12k balloon at the end.

That is pretty decent value isn't it?

£26k total? Seems reasonable to me. A CLA 180 might work out a little cheaper though so it's worth looking at that too.

EDIT: Forgot deposit

Last edited:
i do like the CLA's, but they work out a little more expensive overall.

You need to put down £4k instead of £3k - same monthly repayment, slightly higher balloon at the end and Merc will only contribute £685 towards it.

Is that balloon payment at the end a GFV?
In other words, do you have the option of handing it back and walking away?
I'm just thinking an outdated model will affect future value.
So your £12k value might be more than you could hope to get for it as a sale or trade-in.
Getting an outgoing model can be a double-edge sword.
You get some good deals on outgoing models, but it's annoying come re-sale/trade-in time when people ask if it's the facelift/new model and lose interest if it's not.

need to re-look at it, but i am sure its the GFV of the car - surely a 3 year old merc c class with 25k miles on it will be worth more than £12k? i would have hoped anyway.

Only real negative is the 1.6 petrol engine.

it is slightly annoying as i actually am in the market for a nice SUV - after driving around for 2 weeks in america in a ford escape (the same as the Kuga over here) and now i fancy something a bit bigger, more room, toys etc.

but the value of the Merc deal clouds all of my judgement - some of the companies like Hyundai are extremely expensive per month for a car which costs a good sight less than the Merc in questions.

You can get the Escape in the UK.

Its all on residuals and bulk discount on cars from the manufacturers, I've just missed out on the 3 series BMW deal so now I have to sit tight until another deal comes along.

need to re-look at it, but i am sure its the GFV of the car - surely a 3 year old merc c class with 25k miles on it will be worth more than £12k? i would have hoped anyway.

If it's a GFV figure, no need for you to even worry about it.:thumbsup:
If it's worth more than the GFV, sell it and pocket the difference, or trade it in and put the equity towards new car.
If it's worth less than the £12k balloon payment, hand it back and walk away.

Hmmm not THAT interested in leasing if I completely honest.

First offer I found is £2600 down, £287 a month on a 3 year 10k mile lease for a C220 CDI Amg sport auto so to answer your first post no its not a good deal.

But there is still that thing in my head that says at the end of the 3 years, I still have an asset of sorts.

I can either buy it outright or use it as part exchange for something else.

When the lease ends I will be left with nothing at all. X

Yeah that's the gamble you take. You may have an asset that's worth more then the agreed value but can't you only use any positive equity on another merc.
You can get out of a pcp easier than a lease also that's why I only do 2 year leases.

Hmmm not THAT interested in leasing if I completely honest.

In practice, no real difference between PCP and PCH (lease).
You don't have to hand back a lease car, you can buy it off the lease company just the same as paying the balloon payment on a PCP car.
I only go for PCH over PCP because it's almost 100% certain I won't be interested in keeping it under any circumstances, I prefer just to move on.

but then if you do decide to move on, you would need to find another deposit again - so another 6/9/12 months of payments up front for the deposit?

with the PCP type deal at least if i gave it back and picked a different car to take out i would have some of the deposit (hopefully) built up in the car i was giving back.

but then if you do decide to move on, you would need to find another deposit again - so another 6/9/12 months of payments up front for the deposit?

with the PCP type deal at least if i gave it back and picked a different car to take out i would have some of the deposit (hopefully) built up in the car i was giving back.

Key word there being 'hopefully'.
Might work in your favour, might not.
I already know what I'll have to do, there's no dubiety.
(PS, I only go for deals with a maximum of three months up front)

As above also are you not tied into the brand when doing PCP?

As above also are you not tied into the brand when doing PCP?

They certainly hope so, it's one of the reasons they sell it.
The easiest option is usually just to roll over into a new car of the same brand, as a mate of mine has done for the past X years with PCP on Alfa Romeo.
In reality, if you don't want tied into the brand, just settle their balloon payment and do your own thing after.

But then you lose any positive equity you may have had. Another point for leasing :lesson:

But then you lose any positive equity you may have had. Another point for leasing :lesson:

how so?

say the final, buy it now price is £12k - but you know the car is worth £14k - buy it outright for £12k and then go and chop it in against something else. £2k of equity to put towards another car?

how so?

say the final, buy it now price is £12k - but you know the car is worth £14k - buy it outright for £12k and then go and chop it in against something else. £2k of equity to put towards another car?

Good point, never thought of that but then you do need to come up with £12k to buy a car that you only want to trade in later.

how so?

Yup.

Good point, never thought of that but then you do need to come up with £12k to buy a car that you only want to trade in later.

Not necessarily. I've part exchanged plenty of cars - the buying dealer pays the finance company directly and the leftover goes towards the new car's deposit.
I did sell one car to a mazda back to a mazda main dealer who paid off the finance and gave me a cheque for the difference.
Selling privately would be pain though as the new owner would have to trust me to pay off the finance instead of spending it on OLED TVs and beer.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom