1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Menus on DVDs created on PC.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by apreading, Oct 16, 2004.

1. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Cant immediately see if this is covered in the sticky about RAM to -R, so here goes:

If I want to extract several titles from a disc (DVD-RAM, E85 created DVD-R or original DVD), how would I go about creating my own menus?

I have had a quick dabble with DVDShrink and it seems VERY good, but if I extract several tracks, I dont think I get any kind of menu. Is this easy to rectify? Is there free software to do it? Would I be better off using something other than DVDShrink for this?

I have some DVD-Rs created from old 8mm family camcorder stuff, but it is all one title per disc, and I would like to be able to chop it up ane menu different sections. Is this easy too?

Any help greatfully received.

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    What you need is DVD authoring software, the most popular and easiest to use being TMPGEnc DVD Author which is covered in the first page of the above sticky guide under the sub-heading Guide Two: Authoring Your Dvd On The Pc

The programme isn't free but you do get a 30 day trial period to decide whether you like it before you need to pay.

Another guide with pictures here doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/tmpg-dvdauthor.htm

3. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I got Power Producer Gold (authoring software) free with the DVD drive - is that any good. I better give it a go. Prsumably I need to encode the stuff not to fill the disc if I want to add menus after though?

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    No fill the disk - menus (however fancy) take up minimal space and your E85 leaves a suitable margin for error. So don't worry about it!

Can't comment on your authoring programme although you should check it supports 'VR' mode - I do recommend TMPG Encoder Author because of this. Although VR recordings are standard MPEG2 any edits/playlists etc are recorded in buffer files that must be read to ensure any cuts are frame accurate and that the audio follows sync.

5. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Looks like the authoring softwar I have will only create menus if I re-encode the stuff using the software at the same time. Will TMPG Encoder Author just add menus to already encoded VOB's or am I being dumb in trying to keep my work in DVDShrink which seems very good and just looking to add a menu after the event? The menu options in TMPG look very good - I am not after anything fancy but would like more than 4 options on a page (the maximum in my current Cyberlink Poer Producer Gold) which this seems to offer. I guess I will have to download it & try, but it does look like alot of work from the link on Doom9... (thanks for the link BTW)

6. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    TMPGEnc doesn't mpeg re-encode the video files you supply it with, so you'll keep the quality of the original VOBs.

When I began using the programme it all seemed very strange and complicated but it's actually laughably simple to use and very effective.

7. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Had a little play with the trial version, and it would appear the menu editor does exactly what I want (&probably more than I would ever need).

However, I am still a little confused...

I pointed it at the directory on My PC which had the DVD files on it, which had been set up to fill a DVD-R. TMPGEnc told me that the result with the new menu would be too big to fit on a DVD, but after running the process it was considerably smaller than it told me it would be. In fact it would fit on a DVD-R and the VOB files were smaller than in the original directory. Any idea why? Also confused as to what it was doing when processing as it took a long time - if no encoding is taking place then why so long?

Didnt look at every option - will TMPGEnc allow me to chop the stuff into separate titles, or possibly create chapter points and then have a menu which lists all the chapter points on a disk (spanning multiple titles)?

Think I am on the verge of buying it, but want to be sure.

Also need to have a good go at DVD-RAM processing as per Rasczak's guide - I think it is worth the price of TMPGEnc for this alone...

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Yes - it is explained in the Guide.

Numerous reasons: elements on the original (multiple audio tracks, extras, JPEGs etc are not imported - only the programme you selected from the menu (with the selected audio track).

It can take a long time - it has numerous functions to complete during this stage as well as extensive checks ensuring DVD-Video compliance. The quickest I've seen is 15mins - the longest several hours. If you have animated menus selected then it is copying the video sequences and re-encoding as thumbnail images which can take ages - even on powerful PCs. It certainly does not re-encode though.

9. PhilJW

PhilJW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you record to DVD-RAM or -R on a DVD Recorder, transfer onto a PC to use the authoring software/create menus etc, and then finally burn onto a DVD-R, do you not suffer a drop in quality (image, sound or whatever)? Effectively you are making a second or third genertion copy from the original source, so doesnt the quality drop each time you copy it to a different media?

Is there are way of taking a (unfinalised I assume) DVD-R recorded, say, on the Panasonic DVD Recorder of the original poster and simply using the authoring software to add a menu? Or do you have to burn a new disc from scratch on a PC?

10. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    The number of generations separating the original material and a given copy is no longer as important as it was with analogue video/audio.

The only degradation is likely to be due to occasional corrupted data or artifacts introduced by re-encoding the mpeg files.

As TMPEnc DVD Author doesn't re-encode this isn't an issue.

11. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Put an unfinalised DVD-R in the PC drive last night - wouldnt read it for love nor money...

Unless you are particularly fussed or need chapter selection menus then the Panny DVD-R menus are perfectly fine in my book anyway.

I guess the other way I could do what I want is to use the PC to transfer the video onto -RAM and then use the E85 to edit & write to -R.

Need to do alot of learning with this whole process methinks...!

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Well obviously you can't do that! Unfinalised disks can only be read on the specific burner they were produced on. You need to finalise and then author a new project onto a new DVD-R. TBH you should make backups anyway so this isn't necessarily a bad thing. I would use DVD-RAM though if I were you and then burn multiple copies of your finished project.

No - think of it like copying a file on your PC - you can make copies of copies of copies etc. No loss of quality because it is entirely digital. The only loss you would suffer is if it is re-encoded, i.e. the file is changed to make it smaller.

13. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yeah, I use RAM for backups of REALLY important stuff like home movies etc. Due to the better longevity and error correction etc.

Just had another look at TMPGEnc and slightly frustrated to find that it wont allow widescreen and 4:3 titles on the same disk. Hmmmph - just when it seemed perfect for the job...

Could still be of some use, but the quest continues.

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Do you tend to put different programmes on the same disk then? The Ulead ( www.ulead.com ) range might suite you better in which case.

15. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yeah, I saw ulead (was it movie maker?) mentioned alot on another forum. Was thinking about looking at this route. I dont want to spend half my life fiddling with a multitude of different products though. Is there anything that TMPGEnc does but ulead doesnt?

In retrospect, TMPGEnc would be fine in most instances for what I need - but I would still prefer to have a single do-it-all-in-an-easy-user-friendly-way product which I can get to know well.