• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Menu sound on PS3 - Dolby Digital?

daveb975

Distinguished Member
On my previous amp, sound from my PS3 (via optical) was detected as Dolby Digital.

I have now tried two other amps (Cyrus AV Master and Denon 2808), and both just show the PS3 sound as stereo. This would not matter too much, but it seems that some games are now in stereo too (previously DD).

It seems strange that both of these amps are struggling to detect the sound if it is DD.

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
Are you sure it was detected as Dolby Digital? and not Dolby pro Logic?

If Dolby pro Logic then the PS3 was always outputting stereo as Dolby Pro is a Puesdo surround from a stereo source.

Just clutching at straws here.

Have you gone into the settings for the PS3 and checked what they say?

SirTiger007

When you initially turn on the PS3 the strings you can hear are indeed Dolby Digital 5.1

The other menu noises like the clicks and swooshes are only PCM stereo.

Not sure about music being played from the player (I would assume it is stereo as that is what the music is recorded in) :)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom