1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mens rooms

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by chaz, May 12, 2005.

1. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    just looked to see what is on discovery real time and i saw this its on 9,30 tonight it is called mens rooms and tonight they fit a high end cinama worth £30,000 + other high end gadegts they say it is more than one programe so it could be intresting

2. gazzerdaman

gazzerdaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Haven't got this channel :( anyone with the HTPC wanna record it and then divX onto the net?

3. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    just watched the 1st half of mens rooms programe the presenter is a bit naf thought the guy with the half of million worth of kit was ok though will let you know what i think after the programe has finished

4. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    well i did not think it was to bad for dicovery channel 1st try at home cinema what does every body else think

5. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Not to bad and it should be interesting to see how it goes but if I'd spent half a million quid I'd have made sure the setup looked a lot better than that one!!

John

6. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I agree - half a million quid, and it just looked like a completely naff rack system!

It'll be interesting to see what those lads get for their £30K.

Like the review from the technology show where they showed the 3 * chip Marantz DLP projector - that looked rather cool, but a tad pricey.

Must remember to tune in next Thursday.

7. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Jeez - what a waste of 30 minutes that was!

20 minutes of some pompous arse wandering around talking about design style and removing light fittings; 5 minutes in the company of a hairdresser who'd spent 1/2 a million quid on a home cinema that looked, frankly, hideous (still, hairdresser / taste. What was I expecting?); and 5 minutes at a roadshow being told by Marantz how good the Marantz DLP projector is.

Tune in next Thursday? Of course I will! I wanna see those two dopey student-types waste 30 grand!!!

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Couldn't have put it better myself :) Gobsmacked by how naff that 1/2 million pound system looked. I'd be ashamed to show it off. Looked like it had been put together with bits from a garage sale. Maybe he should have gone to a few dem rooms before parting with that kind of money. And how naff was that voice system? "Take your seats please, the show's about to start". No. Really. It should have said "Get out quick. You're about to be underwhelmed."

Naff, naff, naff.....

9. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    nice to see i wasn't the only one left with a sense of "is that it?"

In my line of business, the phrases "managing expectations" and "delivering on your promises" are used an awful lot. When a programme bills itself as profiling "the ultimate home cinema", it's just gotta do better than that.

BTW. Did anyone else wonder why with (a) a budget of 30 grand, (b) a nice, long oblong shaped room, and (c) complete design freedom, those two numpties chose to position their HC set-up across the narrow span of the room? Surely with that kind of buget and freedom, they'd have achieved an absolutely stonking screen size / set-up using the length of the room? :smashin:

10. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I wondered about that - if they were going for a projection system they would have maximized the bang for their bucks by going the "long" way in the room!

11. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    i also agree i thought they should have used the whole length of the room going across the room in that flat as i see it they are going to pretty close to the screen and also that guy with the half a million pounds worth of kit what a mess i wonder who the installer was i would have sacked him

12. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    just watched the last episode (i think) and it was so bad. the narrator bloke was so patronising, and we got one over exposed shot of the cinema screen. wat a waste of time.

13. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    I agree total crap :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

14. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Not impressed with the finished result - home cinema part was OK but the rest - no, no, no...

John

15. chaz

chaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    I agree the lighting also looked bad those purple tube lights made it look like one of them places you vist in Soho on a stag night all that i was waiting for was the pole dancer/striper i see they all ready had the pole! :cool: :) :thumbsup:

16. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I missed the last program - but the the ones I did watch made for a show, that was completely lacking for the half hour that it occupied.

17. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Very disapointing show imo :thumbsdow I only saw the last one but was not impressed at all.

The presenter didn't seem to know much about anything other than sheets of thoughened glass and the two student types were...uurrmm...a bit on the useless side.

Also seemed to be nothing more than an advertising opportunity for a few names like Crestron and Lutron to get their Big chief managers on TV to 'big up' their products without actually showing us what they can do :confused:

The cinema side got little to no coverage at the end of the show as well...was hoping to see exactly what it was capable of.

18. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This show was so disappointing.

They didn't even mention what kit they actual bought.

19. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I watched the first two shows, and didn't bother watching again.

I found the presenter annoying, and patronising.

The whole thing had the word "AMATUER" written all over it.

If they had consulted any home cinema installers, they would have told them best bang for their buck would be to put the screen the "long" way down the room, not sit 5 foot in fron of the damn thing!

It just turned out to be yet another poorly budgeted for "makeover show" - there's a ton of these on during weekdays on BBC1 - do we really need another?

What's needed is a properly done technology show, that can go indepth on new TV's, Audio, Home Cinema, Home Theatre PC's, etc... etc...

20. cineman

cineman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Oh come on guys, shouldn't we be glad for (very) small mercy's? I've been writing to mags/tv progs on occasion asking for programmes like this, I mean look at the womens progs; house building/selling/renovating, gardening, anything to do with (so called) hunks waving their screwdrivers and trowels about, and what do we get? Three programmes on 'Home Cinema' that, as you say, could have been just a tad better, alright then, a lot better. But what the hell? it's a start isn't it? Roll on the next series. (If ever).