1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mens Room

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by arn, May 22, 2005.

1. arn

arn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    This is one to watch, New series on Discovery Real Time on Thursdays at 9:30pm.

Missed the first 2 episodes but it follows the construction of the ultimate movie room.

2. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Hi Arn...

Or maybe not the one to watch - its nothing more than another glorified "make-over" show, and not a very good one at that.

I'm going to keep watching, as I'd like to see the end result, but some of the design desicions so far haven't really been that impressive.

3. arn

arn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Bummer!! Thought it was too good to be true :(

4. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    They have been showing some systems that have been installed by people into their houses.

The first episode contained a half a million pound system that some "hairdresser to the stars" had put into his house, and it looked like a dogs breakfast.

The one they showed this week was somewhat more dignified, and polished, and was a fraction of the cost!

The budget the guys have got for thier project is £30K and I feel that the MDF is going to make an appearance in this weeks episode!

5. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Just a thought...but if you have £30k to spend on a home cinema, would you really house the screen within a white cabinet? Wouldn't something darker help the contrast?

6. clever dicky

clever dicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hadnt realised this thread was already here and started a new one. So re-posting here if thats ok. Nice to see that someone else has seen this prog too. Sorry its a bit long, but if yer gonna have a moan.....

Am I the only one who has patiently waited and watched this new exciting 'tech' program only to be so disappointed after a couple of screenings.
    Not normally one to criticise anyone's efforts, especially not on a tv show, there's always plenty of adverts to watch.
    But Christ, what a waste of good video tape.

First, despite being called men's room, it tries to lure the attentions (of women?) from the 'advertised' content to the unshaven presenter/ chippy bloke desperate to sound convincing. Then for the men who watch, there's the occasional glimpse (more chat) at someone's completed home cinema and another quick glimpse at some "shiny bits". Christ a five minute home video of inside Currys would be more promising.

But instead the directors feel we really need to see lots of camera effects by zooming in and out so far and so fast on this blokes stubble and close ups of cutting wood. Aren't there enough badly made, dodgy DIY, do up your house with wood-chip type programs already. Seems to be lots of varying action poses and dodgy camera angles but NO techie bits. This was evident last night when the two lads who've sold their souls to Ocean finance, have dragged in their girlfriend (dumb blonde) to give her approval to the DIY and miles of wiring.

What a shame. I was expecting a video version of 'What Hi-fi/ dvd/plasma. But instead a DIY take on 'Pimp my flat'. Next weeks episode will feature a new, built in smelly sock holder, and a pop-up urinal.

7. TonyA

TonyA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    I agree.

What's needed is a show called: "Big Boy's Toys" (or "Mmmm... I want that!") that is essentially a TV version of the What / Home Cinema Choice type magazines.

What we don't need is another bl**dy version of Changing Rooms!

8. clever dicky

clever dicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you think perhaps there's so many of these shows because there's a large market for DIY'ers and people that make a living out of houses that have lots of free time,

or

just loads of people who cant make money out of DIY and houses (but would like to) and therefor produce another show like this one.

9. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    I guess the new Building Regulations introduced earlier this year will soon start to have an impact on the nations love of DIY.

That said, the volume of this type of TV show probably has less to do with the popularity of DIY but rather the fact that they are cheap to make (no sets, no expensive "talent" in front of the camera, plus plenty of DIY related advertisers who ultimately fund the shows).

10. clever dicky

clever dicky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point. Be interesting to see what equipment (if any) gets plugged on the show.

Do you know if the new Building Reg's only cover electrical? Will they mention this in the show? In anycase some of these people tarting up propertees make so much un-taxed profit they can easily afford qualified sparkys or elaborate plasma's.