1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Men with nails

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Andy Leitch, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Andy Leitch

Andy Leitch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    For many years I used to bite my nails, bitten down to the quick which I admit looked disgusting....but I stopped and now have a growth of nail on each finger, which I'm actually proud of. :thumbsup: In fact, I've had a few complients from women about my clean nails.

I have about 3mm of growth on each finger...how much nail growth is acceptable for a man? Without it being considered effeminate or vain.

I have a dirty, manual job so I have to use a nail file every day to clean underneath my nails. I find dirty nails soooooo disgusting. :thumbsdow

Has any male here had a manicure in a salon? Would you recommend it??

2. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Clean nails are probably attractive to a woman but I think manicured might make you look a bit fussy (gay?) If you are doing a dirty manual job then the money will not be well spent. Better to spend it on hand cream to keep you hands in good nick generally.

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    If you want to look how long your nails should be just take a look at the length of John Steed on the beginning titles of the Avengers.
    I think 3mm is a bit on the long side thats 1/8 of an inch.

I would also recommend if you work in a manual job to use a barrier cream and get some in the roots of your nails, help stop dirt going down in the first place. Using a something to scoop dirt out can break the bond between the skin and the nail and makes the groove at the back of the nail deeper.

4. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi,

I have had a manicure once, although I have to say it was a bit pointless, seeing as I didn't really need it. But, the hand massage (from the lady doing the manicure) was absolutely awesome! :)

I think for guys, short is best. I tend to keep my nails no longer then the ends of my fingers - 1mm growth at most! I just think shorter is better, and it stops you from scratching yourself or others; from getting too much gunk under them; and it looks nicer. I never understand why women like to have such long nails, or use those horrible fake ones. You don't need long nails to make your hands look nice. Just use some good hand cream, and eat reasonably well so that your skin looks good.

Pooch

5. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why do guitar players have to have such long nails. Why can't they learn to use a plectrum instead of those unsightly dirt filled nails. Yuk.

6. Pug72

Pug72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +277
    Use a nail brush to keep them clean, much easier and quicker than a digging the dirt out.

7. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    Next thing you know, he'll take out a subscription to 'Gentleman's Quarterly' :rotfl:

8. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    soak your fingers in warm water with a drop of fairy liquid in it before cutting your nails,makes em nice and soft.

omg what am i saying :eek:

9. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember reading an article in that mag when it was still 'quarterly'. It covered the basics of hygiene such as daily washing and changing of underwear!

Off topic but why isn't GQ called Gentlemen's Monthly and why isn't there a Ladies Monthly?

10. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ... they don't have to be dirt filled......

There is a world of difference between the sound of a guitar played with your fingers, as opposed to with a plectrum - if you play spanish guitar (nylon strings), fingernails are the only option. steel string acoustic is also better imho played with fingernails, but mine simply can't take the wear and tear from any prolonged playing on a steel string - electric is a combination of plectrum and fingers for me, sometimes fingers only...............

S.

11. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks TheRitz, did not know that, not the least bit musical! Would it help if your thumb nails grew out sideways - cleanly of course :)

12. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    You should rip out all your nails That way if the enemy catches you they won't be able to .

13. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    There is mate, and my missus is on hers at the moment! :eek: :D :suicide: